What will ISU be ranked?

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
There were plenty of wide open looks on 3's without a BU defender anywhere around. But I don't understand your points. If we had beaten BU should we have stayed at #8? Losing by only 5 to the #1 on a poor shooting day shouldn't equate to dropping out of the top 10.
My point was playing to within 5 of the top team in the country does matter. Shooting poorly from 3 really shouldn't be in the equation. I thought I made that pretty clear; sorry if it wasn't clear.

• Agree
Reactions: NENick

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I have to say that the biggest clown of the AP voters isn't any of the voters mentioned so far. Stephen Tsai of the Honolulu Star Advertiser has 5-8 Georgia #4 on his ballot. In addition to their 8 losses they also lost an exhibition to Charlotte.

Other losses: Gardner-Webb, Wofford, George Mason, East Tennessee State...

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012
I have to say that the biggest clown of the AP voters isn't any of the voters mentioned so far. Stephen Tsai of the Honolulu Star Advertiser has 5-8 Georgia #4 on his ballot. In addition to their 8 losses they also lost an exhibition to Charlotte.

Georgia deserves to be in the playoff though so I dont see the fuss. Oh this is a basketball poll?

Reactions: VeloClone

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com

Something might have gone awry on Poll Tracker - it lists two teams at No. 4 (Georgia and Gonzaga) so his ballot contains 26 teams. And he didn't have Georgia ranked last week. Wonder if it's a glitch.

• Informative

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Only dropping to #11 after losing to Baylor like that shows some respect from the national media both for Iowa State and for Baylor. Win one against Texas Tech and another against Oklahoma and should be top ten again.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
My point was playing to within 5 of the top team in the country does matter. Shooting poorly from 3 really shouldn't be in the equation. I thought I made that pretty clear; sorry if it wasn't clear.

I thought your point was stated clearly.

Giving a pass for a specific stat you could do any way you want. Someone could say, if Baylor had only 7 turnovers instead of 19, could've won by 20 instead of 5. For example.

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009
I am pleasantly surprised we only dropped to 11. Was expecting worse from the AP. Can’t really complain about where we are. I think a close loss to #1 in some ways supports the #8 ranking we had (especially considering they blew out Michigan State who is now ranked above us), but understand the polls move you up when you win and drop you when you lose.

Two big games this week. I won’t say we “have to” get them both as I still think we’re a tourney team either way, but think they’re must wins if we’re going to focus on ranking and seeding.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I don't think we should have dropped at all. A 5-pt loss to #1 after shooting 1/14 from 3-pt, and still a chance to win it. Hopefully this puts a bigger fire in the bellies of our players.
You're giving voters far too much credit.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
I agree with this thinking tho a team always drops when they lose. You can lose in triple overtime on the road to the number one team and still drop, esp this early in the season.
Right- dropping wasn’t an ISU thing. Hence TJ has basically washed away the Prohm stench

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Shouldn’t have dropped at all, but it shows that TJ has removed most of the stench.
It would be one thing if ISU was #20 or something. But if you are #8 the expectation is you win at home regardless of opponent. But it seems clear a lot of voters wanted to see this game before they decided if ISU was a legit top 10-15 type team. They accomplished that.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
It would be one thing if ISU was #20 or something. But if you are #8 the expectation is you win at home regardless of opponent. But it seems clear a lot of voters wanted to see this game before they decided if ISU was a legit top 10-15 type team. They accomplished that.
I think this is validated by one of the 25 ranking pollsters and the pollster with the next worse ranking of 19 both moving ISU up on their ballots because they saw that ISU belonged on the floor with Baylor and consequently belong in the top 10-15 conversation. The two guys that left ISU at 25 are clearly just asshats.