Do we still have a shot at Dye?

cyentist

Oct 11, 2008
West Des Moines, IA
What are people's opinions of our shot at Dye. It no doubt took a hit with the coaching switch, but if Fountain was the one recruiting him (according to rivals) and it's been rumored that he is staying here, along with hiring the DE coach from Auburn we still may have a shot.

This was just posted yesterday.

Scout.com: Under Armour Defensive Line Preview

"Dye, a 6-5, 225-pounder, is ranked No. 24 in the country at his position, and while all eyes will be on the Seminole product when he’s on the practice field there will be just as much focus on the 4-star end when he announces his decision on Jan. 4. Many feel that Dye will choose between http://louisianastate.scout.com/LSU and Miami with the Hurricanes being the odds-on favorite."

I'd say we are a long shot but not too many outside ISU know he took a visit here so we may be a big surprise.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Hummm. LSU, Miami, or Iowa State???? One of these things is not like the other.

However it would be nice.

djcubby

Nov 24, 2006
Bondurant
Why not. Afterall, life is based on hopes and dreams, right? He is good friends with Haughton, so maybe there is still a chance. Hopefully, he wasn't one of the guys infatuated with the Chizz.

cyentist

Oct 11, 2008
West Des Moines, IA
It was never a question of which programs are better or have more tradition. The way we got him to even visit was the selling of playing time. Be a really big fish in a smaller pond, or just another fish?

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
Hummm. LSU, Miami, or Iowa State???? One of these things is not like the other.

However it would be nice.

Maybe that's what gets him here, or other recruits here. Sometimes being the "different" choice gives people an actual choice. Well, we can hope.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
Hmmm Miami, ISU, Miami, ISU, Miami, ISU....Yeah no contest Miami all the way

C'mon guys by this rationale teams in beautiful and warm weather regions would dominate college football. We know that's false, I mean, look at the great programs at Washington, Notre Dame, tOSU, Mich...er...nevermind.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
We should be going after every uncommitted stud DE hard, we can offer them loads of playing time at the position.

We really need to land a couple at the end of this recruiting class, it was a huge need position, and Chizik hadn't landed any commits yet except the Juco who didn't have a very impressive year.... man I hope PR can find 1 or 2 good ones in the last month here.

CyValley

Feb 29, 2008
We should be going after every uncommitted stud DE hard, we can offer them loads of playing time at the position. . . .

Just supporting A-town Cy's comment. It seems fortuitous (or, maybe it was by intention) that former Auburn DE coach Terry Price is already on the job. Bet he's been sifting through DE recruits, making a list and checking it twice!

We've got a position coach (his job is TBD, but it'll be on the DL, shirley - there's that line from Airplane again) in the team area of what is arguably the greatest need. With Price and Fountain working this problem together, maybe we'll see some good results. But, it's late in the recruiting season, and the trend (from what I've read) is for kids to commit earlier rather than later these days. It's a tall task, but I trust coaches Price and Fountain will give it their best.

Last edited:

Drizzle

Nov 9, 2007
Doubtful, but he still could come here and play right away, we just got a great new DL coach in Terry Price, and we kept Scott Fountain who was initially recruiting him.

Dyron Dye - Football Recruiting

Does anyone think, maybe, just maybe.. Fountain is staying on because of his recruitment of Dye.. I mean, one of our biggest needs is a DE and this guy could probably start from day one, or at least play quite a bit.. Wishful thinking:cool:

CyValley

Feb 29, 2008
Does anyone think, maybe, just maybe.. Fountain is staying on because of his recruitment of Dye.. I mean, one of our biggest needs is a DE and this guy could probably start from day one, or at least play quite a bit.. Wishful thinking:cool:

Personally, I kinda hope Coach Fountain is staying on because he feels it's the best choice for his family. I'm not trying to be maudlin or sweet, I'm being serious here. Family comes first. Ames is a great little city.

Second reason, I hope Fountain believes, after meeting Coach Rhaods, that there's great possibility for a winning future at Iowa State. I hope he thinks there's great value in his job.

I don't think he'd make such key decision for himself and his family based on the possible action of a teen-ager. But, I could be wrong. For sure.