TCU has to be in a tough spot with Patterson, right?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I would guess he gets more time.

Some comparisons to mac in this thread, but you could also compare it to the kirk situation out east.. a lot of their fans wanted him gone a few years back, now he has them back in the top 10. (Speaking strictly from a W-L perspective, not referencing his numerous character flaws)

I look at Patterson as being about where Kirk was during that 2011-2014 stretch. Not horrible, but probably underachieving and leaving people in search of some new ideas. Kirk managed to get it figured out somewhat and become more competitive again. Who knows with Gary.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
I think all three of those schools are in danger of a long term period of poor performance. With uncertainty surrounding the conference, I'm not sure I'd want to be hiring a coach right now. Maybe that played into the decision to can Wells now. Get a jump on candidates.
I think it played a very significant part. That, and the program just seems to be going downhill on pretty much every front.

JUKEBOX

Oct 27, 2008
I think all three of those schools are in danger of a long term period of poor performance. With uncertainty surrounding the conference, I'm not sure I'd want to be hiring a coach right now. Maybe that played into the decision to can Wells now. Get a jump on candidates.
I'd have to assume tech must have smu's coach locked down? They're 5-3 which seems weird to fire someone in the middle of the season for (although I agree with the general consensus that their program seems to be in decline)

BMWallace

SuperFanatic
Sep 11, 2011
Chicago, IL
I'd have to assume tech must have smu's coach locked down? They're 5-3 which seems weird to fire someone in the middle of the season for (although I agree with the general consensus that their program seems to be in decline)
There have been grumblings out of Tech for a while now that Wells and the administration didn't get along well. That felt like a separation that will work out better for both parties in the end. And I would expect them to go after Traylor from UTSA. The guy has deep connections in Texas high school football and could be a huge recruiter in Lubbock.

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
Just let me say that I don't want to hear any more whining here about officials.
Unless you reference what you are hinting at, then your posts have no context. Very strange even for you.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Just let me say that I don't want to hear any more whining here about officials.
So you think that a spot that can't be confirmed or denied by replay outweighs the worst call in college football history, other than a 5th down? One took away a touchdown while the other was just for a set of new downs.
We overcame it otherwise the spot wouldn't have even mattered.
You can **** yourself with your stupid opinions and attention whoring posts.

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
You do realize pulling a fellow offensive player forward is illegal and results in a 5 yard penalty, right? So pulling him across the line to gain, as so many OK State fans proclaimed happened, is a penalty. So technically the refs actually didn't do ISU any favors because they didn't call that penalty.

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny

lazard.jpg

CychiatricWard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 27, 2017
Des Moines
I picked ISU to beat oSu in my pool. The Clones are the better team. But please save me the official errors whines henceforth. That bell rings quite hollow after Saturday.

Did you get kicked in the head or something? What in the hillbilly holler are you on about anyway?

Reactions: khardbored

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
I picked ISU to beat oSu in my pool. The Clones are the better team. But please save me the official errors whines henceforth. That bell rings quite hollow after Saturday.
Surly, I've actually agreed with you a few times in the past, but what the hell are you talking about here? The 4th down spot was called, measured, and then reviewed. The officials missed the "illegal participation" penalty by the lineman pulling the receiver...end of story.

Give it a break...

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny

One potentially beneficial call doesn't mean ****. Sorry.

We have literal apology letters for bad calls that cost us games.

OSU missed out on an opportunity to extend the game, but they weren't in field goal range and had just over a minute and one timeout left. There's no guarantee they tie it up or win on that drive.

Especially since there were multiple bad calls against us in the SAME GAME.
OSU fans are discounting the unsportsmanlike penalty, but there was no guarantee we were going to score after the TD was called back. ISU just willed themselves into the EZ in spite of it. If that ended up a FG attempt it would have been even more egregious than it was in the first place.

We also had ANOTHER flag picked up on a defensive holding that was BS as well. He wouldn't have thrown it if there was nothing there. He just got convinced by another ref to pick it up.

It was a very physical game and very few calls were actually made. Will McDonald was being held for a good portion of the game but only got one or two of them actually called, and he sacked the QB in spite of one of them so we declined it.

So no, one questionable spot doesn't make up for anything.

• Winner

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I look at Patterson as being about where Kirk was during that 2011-2014 stretch. Not horrible, but probably underachieving and leaving people in search of some new ideas. Kirk managed to get it figured out somewhat and become more competitive again. Who knows with Gary.

I think the Kirk comparisons are good. Pattersons W/L probably looks al little worse because he doesn't play a cupcake division every year and have a schedule that dodges all the hard parts of the other division every other year. No matter who they are, he is playing the best teams every year.

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
Another delusional fanbase. It's almost like they forget they are TCU. Without Patterson I see them as more of a 7-5 type of program anyway. I'm guessing he needs to make some staff adjustments. It's not like the guy forgot how to coach.