TCU has to be in a tough spot with Patterson, right?

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
people forget that tcu is not a powerhouse historically -- gary has the best winning percentage since francis schmidt (1929 - 1933)

most the records in between when gary started and 1933 are .500 and below

if their big cigars have someone lined up who is young and they're confident in (like a stoops -> lincoln riley deal), I don't think it would be a horrible idea to make a move, but historically speaking there's a bigger chance of potential downside than upside -- unless they luck out with the right guy
People said the same thing about us with Mac.

Though the situations are fully comparable, as Patterson is probably light years above Mac. (Not a knock on Mac, a compliment on Patterson).

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Didn't ISU play Colorado the week Hawkins was fired? Or Weiss at Kansas? When a coach is removed during the season the team tends to come out swinging in that next game.

For sure CU and Hawkins, can't recall Weiss situation off-hand.

Colorado was playing like garbage most of the season to that point, and sure as s---- came to life that week. ISU could have clinched bowl eligibility right there, but nooo! :mad:

JUKEBOX

Oct 27, 2008
People said the same thing about us with Mac.

Though the situations are fully comparable, as Patterson is probably light years above Mac. (Not a knock on Mac, a compliment on Patterson).
I did not say the same things about mac, but we also did not have the best successor lined up (although maybe chizik gets more hate than he deserves because rhoads ended up winning with his players)

I hesitate to get too much into tcu's situation because I don't have as much historical context or insider knowledge for the current situation -- for iowa state, we made a lot of poor decisions administratively and very poor coaching hires during the 80s/90s that contributed to lack of success on the football field (many of which have been corrected)

I think it's unlikely that iowa state would fall back into 80s/90s-level success as long as we have fan and administrative support (and some level of competance) -- only way it would happen would be to like gross negligence by an ad and falling into like a ku situation

Last edited:

AppleCornCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2020
When a coach is removed during the season the team tends to come out swinging in that next game.
But it’s usually a one game effort at home when that happens. Thankfully they’re coming to Ames.

For the record, I don’t think Patterson is getting fired.

Reactions: aauummm

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I don't think he's done yet but they are trending the wrong direction. I think he'll be around to give the new big 12 a shot and if he can't turn things around, he'll walk away.

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
I'd suggest he focus on his coaching career over his country music career. Game on.

• Funny
Reactions: aauummm

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
The interesting game will be when Kansas comes to town. They are actually playing slightly better football in the last 2 weeks. Their running attack is decent, and could give TCU fits.

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
Tough time for any of the scorn 8 to be looking at replacing a legendary coach who has performed well above the schools average.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I would guess he gets more time.

Some comparisons to mac in this thread, but you could also compare it to the kirk situation out east.. a lot of their fans wanted him gone a few years back, now he has them back in the top 10. (Speaking strictly from a W-L perspective, not referencing his numerous character flaws)

Scruff

Mar 11, 2008
Coralville, IA
Just thinking: we recently talked about KState potentially falling off the map and today Tech fires their coach. I'm not sure which of those two programs I'd rather try and clean up. One thing is clear to me... I'd much rather be taking over for Patterson at TCU!

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Just thinking: we recently talked about KState potentially falling off the map and today Tech fires their coach. I'm not sure which of those two programs I'd rather try and clean up. One thing is clear to me... I'd much rather be taking over for Patterson at TCU!
I think all three of those schools are in danger of a long term period of poor performance. With uncertainty surrounding the conference, I'm not sure I'd want to be hiring a coach right now. Maybe that played into the decision to can Wells now. Get a jump on candidates.

• Agree
Reactions: jbhtexas