John Deere strike imminent?

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
There is no way that someone can just step in and be as fast and efficient as a worker that has been doing a job day in day out for months and years no matter what the job is. I couldn’t go in to McDonalds and run the drive thru or be the fry guy at the same level as some HS drop out that has been doing it for any meaningful amount of time.

I doubt they will be as efficient. Maybe get 50% of the number of product off the line as normal, at least initially. The question was whether you'd want to buy one of those. I'd contend that those are going to be the best quality units off the line all year with the amount of scrutiny that will go into each one. The company will be invested to make sure their plan works in order to help at the negotiating table. If these white collar employees can get units off the line, then the company can hold out a lot longer.

spierceisu

Jan 28, 2007
Ankeny
I would assume that is coming. They do not have the right to block entrances to the facilities.
At the Ankeny plant I noticed a lot of picketers the first day, but haven't noticed near as many in the last few days. I am not sure if they are splitting their shifts up so not as many picketers at a time. I am not sure if this is part of some kind of injunction or not.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I would suggest you read the two links below. The federal unemployment benefits money was administered through the states, as an addition to the state-provided unemployment benefit.

FPUC was an add-on to state benefits, so you had to receive a state benefit (and some states required the participant to be actively working for work, like Texas). PEUC required the applicant to be actively looking for work, regardless of what the state's requirement was:

Yes the federal was administered by the State Unemployment Office but there was no "looking for work requirement".

Example - My tattoo shop clients have never paid into Iowa Unemployment (totally legal because Iowa exempts 100% owners of LLC's from Iowa Unemployment tax), but they still received Unemployment Benefits both federal and state when they were forced to close their shops down. All they had to do was log in each week and attest they were still unemployed, no "looking for work requirement or anything". How do I know this? Well they had me setup their account and file the weekly claim for them. It literally took me 5 minutes a week to log in and check a box that they were still unemployed due to covid.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Yes the federal was administered by the State Unemployment Office but there was no "looking for work requirement".

Example - My tattoo shop clients have never paid into Iowa Unemployment (totally legal because Iowa exempts 100% owners of LLC's from Iowa Unemployment tax), but they still received Unemployment Benefits both federal and state when they were forced to close their shops down. All they had to do was log in each week and attest they were still unemployed, no "looking for work requirement or anything". How do I know this? Well they had me setup their account and file the weekly claim for them. It literally took me 5 minutes a week to log in and check a box that they were still unemployed due to covid.

That's how it worked when I was unemployed early in the pandemic, too. Who was going to require looking for work when everything was shutting down?

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX

That was Iowa, not Texas. If you had read the articles, you would have seen that the states were afforded very wide leeway in how they allowed the applicants to answer the "actively looking for work" requirement. In Texas, after 11/1/2020, you had to show you were actively looking for work to get benefits.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
That's how it worked when I was unemployed early in the pandemic, too. Who was going to require looking for work when everything was shutting down?
We aren't talking about early in the pandemic. We are talking about late 2020 and 2021, after things had opened up.

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
No, it does not. But would you buy a truck that was assembled by Ford's office employees who've never turned a wrench or even observed an auto assembly line?

I think a key difference in this case it a large (like 80% or my team) portion of the people we are talking about are farm kids that grew up wrenching on tractors and then got a degree to design the process to manufacture the product while going home on the weekends to still work on the product on their dad's farm. The image people have in this conversation of the typical Deere salaried employee is a little funny.

There is no way that someone can just step in and be as fast and efficient as a worker that has been doing a job day in day out for months and years no matter what the job is. I couldn’t go in to McDonalds and run the drive thru or be the fry guy at the same level as some HS drop out that has been doing it for any meaningful amount of time.

They won't be as efficient from day 1 I agree, but the learning curve isn't that steep. There is a constant influx of new staff on the wage side during normal times that all come up to speed pretty quickly. As mramsey has said most of this isn't that complicated or hard especially on the lines that ring the cash register the hardest.

• Winner
Reactions: mramseyISU

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I think a key difference in this case it a large (like 80% or my team) portion of the people we are talking about are farm kids that grew up wrenching on tractors and then got a degree to design the process to manufacture the product while going home on the weekends to still work on the product on their dad's farm. The image people have in this conversation of the typical Deere salaried employee is a little funny.

They won't be as efficient from day 1 I agree, but the learning curve isn't that steep. There is a constant influx of new staff on the wage side during normal times that all come up to speed pretty quickly. As mramsey has said most of this isn't that complicated or hard especially on the lines that ring the cash register the hardest.
What leads you to believe there are a bunch of office support staff that grew up on farms? Because that doesn't jive with any of the offices I've worked at in Iowa. Also just because you're generally handy I don't think that really prepares you without training.

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
We aren't talking about early in the pandemic. We are talking about late 2020 and 2021, after things had opened up.

No, we were talking about the time the Fed was still providing the extra $600.

I think the point is, that
What leads you to believe there are a bunch of office support staff that grew up on farms? Because that doesn't jive with any of the offices I've worked at in Iowa. Also just because you're generally handy I don't think that really prepares you without training.

I agree with you. I can't speak to a JD plant, but I would say that 90% of the work done at a GM car plant is unskilled. If you can grab the right thing out of the right box and use a torque gun to put it on, you have about half the jobs covered. Another big chunk is simply snapping parts in.

There is no hand welding or heavy lifting. Nobody is spraying in a paint booth. Everything like that is automated. There is definitely a learning curve to make rate, but every motion is already planned out.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Plenty of manufacturing plants never missed a day during the pandemic.
Yeah my brother makes circuit boards for a dod contractor and he never missed a day. Despite his particular department being like 60 days ahead at any given time. I suppose it just takes a few big orders to wipe out that lead.

Cyclones1969

Jul 26, 2021
I'm glad that your friends did well. It could be that the circumstances are different in different areas of the country.

As for terminating benefits early, it made some people who really didn't need those benefits get jobs, and once again become productive members of society. Which benefits both them and society, and leaves money for those who really need it. The ones who really can't find jobs can still get benefits, but the process is more difficult.

The Covid benefit program has been wrought with fraud. It's so bad that CNN had to report it. Also, a nice little blurb about the restaurant worker shortage at the end of that article. Your friends were very fortunate to not have been affected by it.

No they’re in San Antonio, a poorer city than Dallas

and wrought with fraud? I actually did a site search and saw that there wasn’t anything from you about businesses ppp fraud

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006

I didn’t say any offices in Iowa I said at Deere.

Reactions: mramseyISU

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
Pre-Covid only one guy on my team didn’t grow up on a farm or something similar (I grew up in a sawmill). My new team is probably 60/40 farmers vs not. Most of us beg to get a week at a test site so we can turn wrenches. Deere at least on the technical professional side is full of people like that.

• Agree
Reactions: Dopey and Macloney

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
No but if I am hired by a company to be an accountant that's the job they hired me for. I didn't apply and get hired to put together equipment. Just my opinion, I enjoy working on equipment but that's not what you hired me for.

I think you and I are just different. I've told every boss I've had that I'll do whatever needs done. It's better for me and the company if I do the job I'm an expert in, but if I need to do something else that's fine.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006

Is that the expectation? I don't think management or anybody else thinks that will happen.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
No they’re in San Antonio, a poorer city than Dallas

and wrought with fraud? I actually did a site search and saw that there wasn’t anything from you about businesses ppp fraud
The immediate discussion was about the unemployment benefits aspect. But I fully acknowledge that the PPP side has been wrought with fraud as well.

• Disagree
Reactions: Macloney

Cyclones1969

Jul 26, 2021
The immediate discussion was about the unemployment benefits aspect. But I fully acknowledge that the PPP side has been wrought with fraud as well.

You were silent for all of that time when businesses cheated the government for billions, but you’re up in arms about far less in this case.

hard to take it seriously that you’re really concerned about fraud, just another example of someone that somehow thinks that the people who have the softest voice, and the least power, are the real problems.

it may not be as tone deaf as the guy who tried to pretend that capitalism is great because private business can bribe politicians to enrich them. But it’s not far off

• Haha
Reactions: CYEATHAWK

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
You were silent for all of that time when businesses cheated the government for billions, but you’re up in arms about far less in this case.

hard to take it seriously that you’re really concerned about fraud, just another example of someone that somehow thinks that the people who have the softest voice, and the least power, are the real problems.

it may not be as tone deaf as the guy who tried to pretend that capitalism is great because private business can bribe politicians to enrich them. But it’s not far off
I don't really care if you take me seriously or not. You can shame, bully, name call, and click the "dumb" button all you want...it's not going to work on me or most other people who post here.