John Deere strike imminent?

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Just another reason to not have kids. They prevent you from looking for a better working situation.
So you don't think anyone should have kids so they can keep their employment options open?

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
And they should but doesn’t mean the Union has to bend over for them especially when they have a strong hand to play with. Most of the rank and file union members know this and is willing to make sacrifices to fight for a bigger slice of the pie. My opinion is Deere will blink.
I think the UAW is full of overgrown toddlers but this is probably their best shot in years to stick it to Deere. You combine the performance of the stock price over the last 18 months, the difficulty they're having with hiring workers and the fact that Fast Food wages are getting really close to what starting pay on the line is they have a really strong argument.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I think the UAW is full of overgrown toddlers but this is probably their best shot in years to stick it to Deere. You combine the performance of the stock price over the last 18 months, the difficulty they're having with hiring workers and the fact that Fast Food wages are getting really close to what starting pay on the line is they have a really strong argument.

Who is Deere’s competition and why aren’t they swooping in to grab these people up and stick it to a competitor?

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Anybody who doesn’t think a publicly traded company is looking out for their shareholders and only their shareholders is delusional.

Smart management understands that it IS in their shareholders best interest to have a productive and stable workforce. That doesn't mean cave to every worker demand, but it does mean having p!ssed off workers doesn't do anyone any good either. IMHO, human resource and people management is the single hardest thing to do well in business.

Bestaluckcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 25, 2009
Deere absolutely is looking out for #1.

I used to work for a small business where the president and also shareholder of the company told me his job was like formulating a compromise between shareholders, employees, and management. If all three were left a little bit short of expectations he had done a good job.

Neptune78

Aug 12, 2020
East of Neptune, IA.
.......the difficulty they're having with hiring workers and the fact that Fast Food wages are getting really close to what starting pay on the line is they have a really strong argument.

The Deere starting wage of $18 and change is the most surprising thing I've seen in this thread. My guess would have been $22.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Who is Deere’s competition and why aren’t they swooping in to grab these people up and stick it to a competitor?

Perhaps those living in Waterloo or Ankeny are not interested in moving to Nebraska to make CIH Tractors? Kind of a long commute. And who would want to live in Husker Country? I would rather have a pencil stuck in my eye.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
The Deere starting wage of $18 and change is the most surprising thing I've seen in this thread. My guess would have been $22.

Remember, that wage was set 6 years ago. So it is a bit low for current times where we've seen wages spike due to competition for labor. This is the drawback for collective bargained contracts, they don't react quickly to changes in the market, good or bad.

I'd expect that the final contract will see wages competitive with what they find for local offerings. For example, Target distribution in Cedar Falls is advertising $21 starting pay right now.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Remember, that wage was set 6 years ago. So it is a bit low for current times where we've seen wages spike due to competition for labor. This is the drawback for collective bargained contracts, they don't react quickly to changes in the market, good or bad.

I'd expect that the final contract will see wages competitive with what they find for local offerings. For example, Target distribution in Cedar Falls is advertising $21 starting pay right now.

I've heard nothing but horror stories about working for Target Distribution. It's pays pretty well but apparently it's just awful back-breaking work with incredibly limited management support.

Reactions: DFWClone

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
So you don't think anyone should have kids so they can keep their employment options open?

I'm not a fan of kids, which is why I decided to not have any of my own. I freely admit I'm selfish and want my life to revolve around what I want to do when I want to do it, kids destroy that.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I'm not a fan of kids, which is why I decided to not have any of my own. I freely admit I'm selfish and want my life to revolve around what I want to do when I want to do it, kids destroy that.
That's fine, but if you want humans to continue as a species you have to allow for the fact that the majority of people have to have multiple children. You can't expect most people to not have kids to accommodate their careers.

• Dumb
Reactions: Cyeedy

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009

During the past Presidential campaign, a $15 minimum wage was a part of the platform for the Biden folks. It appears that the people that were fighting that (the corporate/big business world) have been forced to fly by that number due to the global worker shortage. Which is a good thing, the space between the corporate officer and investor income and the people doing the actual physical work has expanded to an immoral level. As the new starting wage nears $20 an hour, the question will be if those costs will be added to the price of the product and absorbed by the public. Which causes accelerated inflation. The famous quote from the Clinton administration was "It's the economy, stupid". Let's hope that Congress and Biden's team get ahead of the situation and act ahead instead of react after inflation set's in. A good start would be to go after ridiculous corporate compensation to leadership and redistribute to their workers on the floor. It has always been known that if the pay is good, the job will get filled and I think that is playing a part of the worker shortage. And if the rebuttal is "well they can make the same by drawing unemployment", then the working wage needs to be high enough to get them off the couch. And this is not union driven, liberal dogma or any other political group think....it's just common sense.

• Dumb
Reactions: usedcarguy

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Perhaps those living in Waterloo or Ankeny are not interested in moving to Nebraska to make CIH Tractors? Kind of a long commute. And who would want to live in Husker Country? I would rather have a pencil stuck in my eye.

I’m not seeing a big difference here.

• Haha
Reactions: Cyclones1969

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Exactly right! Once that contract is ratified and workers go back there is no re-negotiating or going back in to redo anything whether economics or language until the next expiration date. Currently they have been working on a new agreement that, if ratified, will stand for 6 years. I personally believe that is a good length of term allowing for both Company and employee to be able to plan ahead for 6 years knowing what the rules of the game are (my own editorial opinion.) You can’t blame the workers for trying to get the best contract they can because you can bet your bottom dollar that Deere is doing their best with their proposals in planning out for the next 6 years!
Technically that is not true. Minor issues that are both in the interest of the unit and management can be changed at any time through a letter of agreement (LOA) that is attached to the contract. They might even give something to get something so there can still be give and take at other times other than the expiration of a contract.

But yes, generally the big issues are only tackled when negotiations happen around the expiration of a contract.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
Let's hope that Congress and Biden's team get ahead of the situation and act ahead instead of react after inflation set's in. A good start would be to go after ridiculous corporate compensation to leadership and redistribute to their workers on the floor. It has always been known that if the pay is good, the job will get filled and I think that is playing a part of the worker shortage. And if the rebuttal is "well they can make the same by drawing unemployment", then the working wage needs to be high enough to get them off the couch. And this is not union driven, liberal dogma or any other political group think....it's just common sense.

Are you suggesting the government sets limits on employee compensation, AND gets to decide how companies use those savings?

No thanks.

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
Deere's management can either do this the hard way or the easy way.

Given today's labor market, Deere no choice but to make significant concessions to their workers. They can try to hold out as long as possible and hope the workers cave, but that's not gonna happen and they will lose an enormous amount of profits by stalling. The sooner management accepts this, the sooner they can make concessions and get back to making many millions per day in profits.