How far can Iowa go?

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
Without developing some offense, probably not conf. champs and surely not CFP bound.

*Note that I am neither stating nor implying any claim of superiority by Iowa State, though that won't stop any Hawks from bringing it up :rolleyes:

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Without developing some offense, probably not conf. champs and surely not CFP bound.

*Note that I am neither stating nor implying any claim of superiority by Iowa State, though that won't stop any Hawks from bringing it up :rolleyes:

Had this convo with a hawkeye friend of mine after the game last week. I didn't realize how easy their schedule is for the next month: Kent State, CO State, Maryland, then Penn State. They will very likely be 5-0 heading into that PSU game. Already sitting at No 5, they will be that high or higher if anyone else above them loses.

Other than PSU and Wisky, they will be favored in all their games, at least right now.

That being said, I don't know that too many have noticed just how bad their offense has been these first two games. It's been far overshadowed by their defensive scoring. I wouldn't be shocked to see them win their division and get stomped in the conference championship.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneRulzzz

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
They already played the toughest team they'll face, it gets much easier, especially because of how inept Wisky and Penn St are offensively. They'll win the west, get hammered by tOSU and end up in a NYD bowl.

• Dumb
Reactions: Brodie0

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Had this convo with a hawkeye friend of mine after the game last week. I didn't realize how easy their schedule is for the next month: Kent State, CO State, Maryland, then Penn State. They will very likely be 5-0 heading into that PSU game. Already sitting at No 5, they will be that high or higher if anyone else above them loses.

Other than PSU and Wisky, they will be favored in all their games, at least right now.

That being said, I don't know that too many have noticed just how bad their offense has been these first two games. It's been far overshadowed by their defensive scoring. I wouldn't be shocked to see them win their division and get stomped in the conference championship.
That Maryland game might be a little tricky as its away on a Friday night. But EIU will be fine as long as their defense keeps getting turnovers and either scoring or setting up their weak offense to put points on the board.
They get PSU at home, which I am sure will be a night game for them, its like the 2015 schedule all over again, pillow soft and not many difficult teams and as usual no Ohio State.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I'm on record here picking over on their 8.5
I think the division is theirs. Sconnie has a solid D but their offense is probably worse.

dexterhawk

Oct 17, 2013

Maryland is probably 4-0 when they play. Beat WV

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
Second half 23 yards on 26 plays. Punted 8 times. Campbell probably still has a headache trying to figure out how he could find a way to screw something up so bad when the other team had no offensive pulse. Rating Iowa #5 is proof that the sports media doesn’t watch games, just looks at scores. Their defense is outstanding but they can’t expect the punter to make up for the inferior offense in the long haul. Unless Brian changes his approach, they will not make the Big 10 Championship game. KF has a system that is very successful but not able to finish.

• Haha
Reactions: dexterhawk

Lemmiwinks

Aug 31, 2018
Ankeny
Probably 10-2 or 9-3. Guessing PSU and/or Wisconsin get us, along with a team like Maryland, Minn, or MSU. We aren’t lucky enough to only play one more currently ranked team.

Legend Hawk

Sep 2, 2018
Second half 23 yards on 26 plays. Punted 8 times. Campbell probably still has a headache trying to figure out how he could find a way to screw something up so bad when the other team had no offensive pulse. Rating Iowa #5 is proof that the sports media doesn’t watch games, just looks at scores. Their defense is outstanding but they can’t expect the punter to make up for the inferior offense in the long haul. Unless Brian changes his approach, they will not make the Big 10 Championship game. KF has a system that is very successful but not able to finish.

ISU fans are the only people on the plant that watched that Iowa vs ISU game and didn’t realize ISU got their asses handed to them. Everyone else understands what happened and that is why they are correctly ranked #5. Nobody has two better and more dominating wins than Iowa after 2 games.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
If Iowa wins @ Maryland and beats PSU at home then they will prob walk to the BIg ten title game...

Yes @ Wisc is another but Wisc QB is atrocious like 90% of the big 10 QBs are..

The question for Iowa is can Petras actually win a game? Iowa's defense is really good but there is zero %chance they can keep up getting +4 TO a game and scoring a defensive TD every game... That aint gonna happen.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron