Big XII to add schools within days?

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
There’s data to suggest not bad at all. The SEC is king. They’re a national brand which is why they had CBS afternoon. To facilitate, until the Alliance crumbled, they’d likely toss the Big 12 3.0 and others some aid.

The more important question is do you know how devalued the second rate Alliance would be if the SEC (with USC and Clemson) walks? ND probably could be swayed if USC joined. That’s a lot of mouths for the Ohio St invitational to feed. No access to the most college football crazed parts of the country. A fraction of the most important brands.

In reality it would just be a power move, as the alliance would fold snd the BIG and what’s left of the Pac 12 and ACC would follow

No, the BIG loves some aspects of NLI, particularly the PR side. They do not like the pay for play future it will bring

USC needs to get paid soon, or things will get chaotic
Big ten schools have more money then any other conference, trust me they love the idea of pay for play.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Its really not a good indicator of interest. Its a good indicator of how the in game atmosphere is, what else is available to do in the area, ease of access to the stadium etc. The in game experience is dying in most places not due to a lack of interest but because there are so many better ways to watch a game now without sitting in traffic for hours, paying insane concessions prices, and being jammed into tiny seats. I watch every single Michigan and state game but refuse to go in person unless its in a box. It just isn't worth it for the poor experience.
You don’t think attendance has a strong correlation to subscription rates?

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Its really not a good indicator of interest. Its a good indicator of how the in game atmosphere is, what else is available to do in the area, ease of access to the stadium etc. The in game experience is dying in most places not due to a lack of interest but because there are so many better ways to watch a game now without sitting in traffic for hours, paying insane concessions prices, and being jammed into tiny seats. I watch every single Michigan and state game but refuse to go in person unless its in a box. It just isn't worth it for the poor experience.
Meanwhile in friendlyspartan land…

giphy.gif

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

I live in LA.

Trust me, nobody is actually watching college football on TV or streaming on the west coast. Nobody. I swear I might be the only college football fan I see for weeks at a time in the fall. The only way I see college football fans is if I go right downtown near USC's stadium. I used to live near UCLA's campus and now I live 10 minutes from the Rose Bowl. Nothing. Sometimes go into a bar and no Pac 12 games on TV even. It's just luck if they have it on ESPN, if Big Ten or ACC is on ESPN, they're playing that randomly rather than a Pac game.

There's a lot more to do outside in the fall...it makes them even less likely to watch any TV of any sort, not more likely.

I've only spent a few weeks in the PNW so it might be different up there...there also aren't a ton of people up there which is supposedly what this is all about. Where the people are in the west, they don't watch sports much, especially not college sports.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Big ten schools have more money then any other conference, trust me they love the idea of pay for play.
Sorry, but there’s still much more a faction in the BIG that doesn’t. The SEC has embraced it much more.

And no one has more money for pay to play than the SEC. you’ve got to consider the off the book’s money. A culture in which people would spend their food stamps on college football. in the hypothetical, they’d have a vast majority of the premium brands best setup to monetize NLI

• Agree
Reactions: legi and cyIclSoneU

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
What will be our buy out when we go to the PAC or the BIG, or will that be stated in the conference rules?

Whether the Big 12 has a GOR beyond 2025 is going to be interesting. If the Pac-12 decides to stick together and extends its GOR first, I think we do the same until the mid-2030s when the ACC’s is coming up. Without Pac-12 movement, I doubt there will be any more power conference moves until then. But if we don’t have a GOR, that could be signal that at least somebody feels good about another league.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Whether the Big 12 has a GOR beyond 2025 is going to be interesting. If the Pac-12 decides to stick together and extends its GOR first, I think we do the same until the mid-2030s when the ACC’s is coming up. Without Pac-12 movement, I doubt there will be any more power conference moves until then. But if we don’t have a GOR, that could be signal that at least somebody feels good about another league.
Mostly agree, but recall OuT occurred early. Whether accidental or strategic, who knows.

Once it’s out there that premium brands are leaving, there’s a prisoners dilemma exit. The 8 didn’t have obvious doors to run to, and the Alliance made sure OuT/espn would pay.

If the Pac12 doesn’t change and signs a GOR, what happens in 2025 if Clemson, UNC, UVa, Duke, and KU announce they’re heading to the SEC? Would the Big 12 not immediately offer Ga Tech,FSU and Miami? The BIG too. At some point there’s no one to collect GOR

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
You’re assuming the BIG has figured things out enough to act, and even more KU doesn’t have something lined up pending OuT settlement/departures.

Have you looked at what the estimates are of redoing the payouts from the tournament without sharing with those that don’t participate ? Even if dropping the little guy results in less of a contract, it’s massive. The KU basketball brand and value in a nonlinear media future PLUS the tournament leaving the NCAAwould be equitable to most football only brands

Another aspect is the SEC is now a kingmaker. Memphis would quickly surpass Mississippi St if switched. KU would be top 15 overall brand in the SEC

So you're saying KU is going to make more from MBB than Iowa makes from football?

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
So you're saying KU is going to make more from MBB than Iowa makes from football?
First is Iowa included in the separation?

I’ll assume the BIG is part of that.

In the future it’s possible, when KU basketball makes a tournament run, plus the inventory MBB provides in a streaming world.

Think how close KU is as a brand from already being included. There’s a lot of extrinsic value from basketball. Some redistribution models would have KU averaging $40million/year just from the tournament performance. I question whether the pie they’re splitting would be as high without the G5’s, but it would be considerable- and basketball already brings KU a lot of money

Last edited:

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

KU has been left hanging in the wind just as much as ISU/KSU/OKState twice now.

UConn has been promoted, demoted, and gone independent when it comes to football.

Louisville was added to P5 but not before Pitt, BC, and WVU. They got the exact last chair in the last game of musical chairs.

Cincy has been up to P5, demoted to AAC, now up to P5, and very possibly demoted again.

The Big Ten looked at the Big East and ACC, they looked over Syracuse, Pitt, Duke, UNC, Cincy, UConn and chose mighty basketball powers Rutgers. Maryland was a solid basketball add.

Nebraska and Colorado got snatched up in realignment. Nebraska is the dead last worst major college program of all time. Colorado has not been good generally.

That all tells me something and it's not that basketball really matters. If basketball really mattered Big 12 fans would be thrilled right now that we appear to remain a top 3 basketball conference.

A large % of basketball "powers" have already been passed over in some way by several conferences.

cysmiley

Jun 30, 2012
So with this lineup we'll have the Babtists, the Mormons and the Disciples of Christ in the league. Maybe need to round it out. Anybody know of a good Catholic school that plays football?
Babtists, we need the Babbs back at Hilton!

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL

I still wonder how much of this staying pat by the Big, ACC and PAC is to see how our current GOR plays out. OU and UT are still on the hook for a **** ton of money if they leave after this year. "Legally" they should not be able to be on TV without that money going to the Big 12. So, I still think it's in the other three conferences best interest to keep the Big 12 together until the money situation plays out.

As far as I know, a GOR hasn't really been challenged in court yet. If the remaining GOR doesn't get challenged in court and OuT get off with a minimal payment, I think the other Conferences get worried as in the end, it means a GOR isn't worth the paper it's written on.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Cyclones1969

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
KU has been left hanging in the wind just as much as ISU/KSU/OKState twice now.

UConn has been promoted, demoted, and gone independent when it comes to football.

Louisville was added to P5 but not before Pitt, BC, and WVU. They got the exact last chair in the last game of musical chairs.

Cincy has been up to P5, demoted to AAC, now up to P5, and very possibly demoted again.

The Big Ten looked at the Big East and ACC, they looked over Syracuse, Pitt, Duke, UNC, Cincy, UConn and chose mighty basketball powers Rutgers. Maryland was a solid basketball add.

Nebraska and Colorado got snatched up in realignment. Nebraska is the dead last worst major college program of all time. Colorado has not been good generally.

That all tells me something and it's not that basketball really matters. If basketball really mattered Big 12 fans would be thrilled right now that we appear to remain a top 3 basketball conference.

A large % of basketball "powers" have already been passed over in some way by several conferences.
3 things:
1.) none of those ex big East are KU.
2.) revenue mechanisms change. Rutgers being added would be not be fathomable 10 years prior. What occurred last decade isn’t a sufficient indication of what’s next
3.) The BIG didn’t pick Rutgers over UNC and Duke, they couldn’t get UNC and Duke.

Go to any informed SEC forum, and KU is on their board. And that’s before factoring in rehandling of basketball postseason contracts. A brand that can hold their own without needing football wins. It’s game over if the SEC gets basketball hegemony too imo

HoopsTournament

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
www.hoopstournament.net
You’re the one saying that conference perception doesn’t matter.

you’re the one trying to pretend that Cincinnati adds even remotely equal value to what we currently have. They don’t.
You can’t compare to what we currently have because OU and UT are leaving. Making comparisons to that are futile. You can only compare to what we would have with or without.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclone27inQC

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
You can’t compare to what we currently have because OU and UT are leaving. Making comparisons to that are futile. You can only compare to what we would have with or without.
He’s worse than that.

The new Big 12 in revenue and SOS isn’t that far off from what we’ve had. He’s comparing it to what we’ve never had- future BIG or SEC money while in the new P2 world. If the ACC and Pac-12 perceptions were so much better in perception than the Big12, they’d be getting paid like the BIG and SEC.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
I live in LA.

Trust me, nobody is actually watching college football on TV or streaming on the west coast. Nobody. I swear I might be the only college football fan I see for weeks at a time in the fall. The only way I see college football fans is if I go right downtown near USC's stadium. I used to live near UCLA's campus and now I live 10 minutes from the Rose Bowl. Nothing. Sometimes go into a bar and no Pac 12 games on TV even. It's just luck if they have it on ESPN, if Big Ten or ACC is on ESPN, they're playing that randomly rather than a Pac game.

There's a lot more to do outside in the fall...it makes them even less likely to watch any TV of any sort, not more likely.

I've only spent a few weeks in the PNW so it might be different up there...there also aren't a ton of people up there which is supposedly what this is all about. Where the people are in the west, they don't watch sports much, especially not college sports.
Totally agree on both so cal and the PNW. I lived in the bay area for a bit and tracking down a bar that even had tv's let alone was open early enough for kickoffs was very difficult.