Share awesome (not awesome) customer service experience for Friday entertainment

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle
I bought a pickup order online the other day and paid for a cup of coffee as part of it.

The coffee wasn't there and some employee refused to give me the cup of coffee that probably cost them 20 cents because he said it wasn't on the order. I asked him if he really thought I was lying to him to get a $3 cup of coffee added to a $40 order I'm paying for. I asked if he really thinks it's necessary for me to show some sort of proof?

The ticket wasn't even the paid total receipt, it was like the ticket the kitchen uses to cook the order that has no prices on it.

Finally I went out to the car (that was a few blocks away) and got my wife's phone to show him the order on his company's app. I showed him and he said he couldn't read it because it was too far away, needed to hold my phone to see it, I shoved it in his face and he got outraged that I shoved it in his face. Then just turned away and got my freaking coffee that I watched him pour.

Great customer service, accuse people of stealing a cup of coffee rather than just giving them a damn cup of coffee.

Never worked service have you?

When I worked at Wendy's people got pissed off all the time when if they said that we made their burger wrong, we would ask for the old one back. It was always the people that came in with two people but only one of them ever ordered food. They always seemed to be under the impression that they should get two sandwiches for the price of one.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
A few years ago:
Me getting to the airport, going to the Frontier station to get ready for a trip to Portland.

Front Desk person: 'It appears you're not on the flight. You were removed back in May' (this was in July).

Me: 'Who removed me?'

Them: 'You should have gotten an email'.

Me: Sifts through my phone to find the email. 'I didn't get an email'.

Them (rudely): 'Well call and ask Expedia'.

Me: (half laughing) 'So I'm just not on the flight?'

Them: (Rudely) 'You're not going to Portland'.

I never found out why I was not on the flight or who was in charge of the decision.

A different desk person got me a different flight for an overnight just using my original ticket, which worked out because I just stayed with family in the stop over. However, I was bringing a bunch of camping equipment so checking my bags was like $75 and I had to pay that twice.

Haven't flown Frontier since.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
A few years ago:
Me getting to the airport, going to the Frontier station to get ready for a trip to Portland.

Front Desk person: 'It appears you're not on the flight. You were removed back in May' (this was in July).

Me: 'Who removed me?'

Them: 'You should have gotten an email'.

Me: Sifts through my phone to find the email. 'I didn't get an email'.

Them (rudely): 'Well call and ask Expedia'.

Me: (half laughing) 'So I'm just not on the flight?'

Them: (Rudely) 'You're not going to Portland'.

I never found out why I was not on the flight or who was in charge of the decision.

A different desk person got me a different flight for an overnight just using my original ticket, which worked out because I just stayed with family in the stop over. However, I was bringing a bunch of camping equipment so checking my bags was like $75 and I had to pay that twice.

Haven't flown Frontier since.

That sounds like something that happened to someone I know. They share a name with someone on the no-fly list. Creates havoc for them all the time, they have to deal directly with an airline to get tickets.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Never worked service have you?

When I worked at Wendy's people got pissed off all the time when if they said that we made their burger wrong, we would ask for the old one back. It was always the people that came in with two people but only one of them ever ordered food. They always seemed to be under the impression that they should get two sandwiches for the price of one.

I was a waiter for 6 years.

If someone told me they had paid for a cup of coffee I got them a coffee...even if they didn't prove it to me.

I had already paid, it was their mistake they didn't give me a coffee. This would be like if your example paid ahead for two burgers and you gave them one, as in your mistake. Instead of apologizing for their mistake they called me a liar. Then when I showed them proof they didn't apologize. All over something with a 20 cent food cost which I know from working in restaurants.

You claim to be a service expert and think that's smart business? That's horrible service if your goal is to make money with repeat business.

This place has already lost a lot of $ from me for calling me a liar over a $3 cup of coffee.

Last edited:

cydsho

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Omaha, NE
I had to call Tracfone to get an old phone re-activated and expected the worst but I waited a minute maybe and they solved the issue quickly. I was pretty shocked it was that easy.
Also had to call a large shipping company 2 times to help with a shipment and waited a very short time and each time the agent was very helpful and in one case got the shipment changed so delivery error was fixed almost immediately.
I probably should go buy a lottery ticket.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I bought a new push mower from Lowes (troy-bilt I think) a few years ago. It was assembled and ready to go they said. The 5th time I used it I heard a loud pop and it died. I looked down and saw the rod hanging out of the side of the engine block. I grab my receipt and head back the the store figuring they'd exchange it. Nope they're going to send it in for repair, whatever I just need a mower. A month later I call the store wondering where the hell my mower is, it's still in the back of the store waiting to get sent out for repair. I blew a gasket. I ended up getting a husqvarna out of the freak out. Fast forward 3 months after that (4 months total) I get a call from the repair shop. He tells me there wasn't any oil in the engine and I'm like no **** it all ran out of the fist sized hole in the side of the engine block. So what do you want me to do with this thing? I don't care I got a different one and he can use it for a lawn ornament for all I care. I haven't spent a dime at Lowes since then.

My dad bought a rider from Lowe's and had this same thing happen. Mowed with it for 5 or so hours and the engine blew. Turns out there never was any oil in the thing. Now, he would willingly admit he should've checked that there was oil. However, it's also a fair assumption that a new, fully assembled mower would come with oil or the sales person would warn you about that. It took a fair bit of arguing with Lowe's before they relented and gave him a new mower.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
My dad bought a rider from Lowe's and had this same thing happen. Mowed with it for 5 or so hours and the engine blew. Turns out there never was any oil in the thing. Now, he would willingly admit he should've checked that there was oil. However, it's also a fair assumption that a new, fully assembled mower would come with oil or the sales person would warn you about that. It took a fair bit of arguing with Lowe's before they relented and gave him a new mower.

Seems like manufacturer should be upset if retailer is not communicating that.

• Agree
Reactions: throwittoblythe

Cycl1

Mar 14, 2012
North Liberty
Went to a Nashville Sounds (Brewers AAA affiliate) game while down there a couple weeks ago. I'm a sucker for ballpark BBQ nachos. Anyway I get in line after the top half of the first and it wasn't really all that long of a line to start. It is taking forever and every single employee was walking at a snail's pace, taking their sweet time and more focused on convo's with each other than the growing line. Luckily there was a big TV right by the stand and I could at least watch the two full innings that took place while I'm waiting.

Finally I get up to the front, ask for BBQ nachos.

"We're all out"
"They're literally making them right behind you"
"Oh..." *turns around and checks and doesn't say a word to anyone*
"Yeah they said the meat that's left has to be used for sandwiches instead"
"You're ******* kidding me" and I just walked away

Around the 5th inning I went the opposite way and found a different stand and got some really good BBQ nachos and jalapeno corn fritters that were incredible, so at least the story had a happy ending.
Welcome to the south. Slow.....was at a restaurant in Nashville and i went to the front. All the workers were just standing there talking to each other. No one in line. Still took like a minute or 2 to assist me.

Reactions: khardbored

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I'll share a good service example...

We had a trip to Disney World booked for April 2020. Obviously that didn't happen. When we originally booked back in 2019, our son was only 1 and would not need a plane ticket. We re-booked this trip back in May with a plan to go this September/October. My son is now 2.5 so he needs a seat.

I do all the re-booking online via Delta. When we get our confirmation email, I noticed that even though I thought I purchased a ticket for my son, I noticed he didn't have a ticket number. I call Delta and she says I didn't actually buy him a ticket, but she'll do that now. Well, she created his own reservation. So now we have two reservations: one for 3 people (wife, me, daughter) and one for my 2 yr old son. I didn't get the email until we were off the phone so I figured I'd let it be for a bit.

Fast forward to early August and we get an email telling us that one of our connecting flights is no longer offered and they re-booked us on a flight that has us laying over in ATL for like 6 hours and getting into Orlando at 9PM.

I was all stressed out about calling and having to deal with airline customer service. But I got connected with a very helpful gentlemen. He empathized with my needs (little kids and long layovers/late nights are bad). He also was able to fix our reservation so we're all on the same confirmation number and got us very convenient flight times at no additional cost.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Place I used to work had the laziest computer support guy ever. Nice guy, but lazy. He had a cushy gig as the only guy who could work a certain bit of software that had been around since the early 90s, and never really broke, but they had to have someone support it. He would get pulled into other stuff, but always did the barest minimum and it was pulling teeth to get him to do anything. My boss really hated him but he was in IT and she couldn't really can him anyway.

Anyway on to the bad customer service -- one day, he is walking past a gal who was having computer problems, just something dumb, like windows wouldn't boot or something. She flags him down since he is an expert IT guy, he comes over and looks, she explains the problem, looks to him, and he says "huh, how about that?" and just walks away.

She would have been mad, but knew how useless he was so was just more resigned to it. It was the funniest gd thing, it became a phrase that pays in the office whenever someone wanted to blow something off, or basically say "wow sucks to be you".

He eventually got RIF'd.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Welcome to the south. Slow.....was at a restaurant in Nashville and i went to the front. All the workers were just standing there talking to each other. No one in line. Still took like a minute or 2 to assist me.

That's why everyone is so overpolite - so you don't feel murderous waiting forever for whatever you were wanting.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I'll share a good service example...

We had a trip to Disney World booked for April 2020. Obviously that didn't happen. When we originally booked back in 2019, our son was only 1 and would not need a plane ticket. We re-booked this trip back in May with a plan to go this September/October. My son is now 2.5 so he needs a seat.

I do all the re-booking online via Delta. When we get our confirmation email, I noticed that even though I thought I purchased a ticket for my son, I noticed he didn't have a ticket number. I call Delta and she says I didn't actually buy him a ticket, but she'll do that now. Well, she created his own reservation. So now we have two reservations: one for 3 people (wife, me, daughter) and one for my 2 yr old son. I didn't get the email until we were off the phone so I figured I'd let it be for a bit.

Fast forward to early August and we get an email telling us that one of our connecting flights is no longer offered and they re-booked us on a flight that has us laying over in ATL for like 6 hours and getting into Orlando at 9PM.

I was all stressed out about calling and having to deal with airline customer service. But I got connected with a very helpful gentlemen. He empathized with my needs (little kids and long layovers/late nights are bad). He also was able to fix our reservation so we're all on the same confirmation number and got us very convenient flight times at no additional cost.

I usually am happy with Delta/SW.

Something always goes wrong with United/American for me. I stopped even looking at American flights.

Reactions: throwittoblythe

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Green Mountain customer service is the great! Have a DB smoker and when I first got it was having big temp differences from side to side. It was a basic one without WiFi. They sent me a new WiFi controller! This was awesome. Was still having issues and the heat shield had been updated from the model I had gotten. They sent me that to. Needless to say it was out of warranty but they took care of me. They also sent me another WiFi controller and and wiring harness to the fan assembly as the grill had gotten over 500 degrees a couple of years ago. I have a 2015 model. I was very pleased with what they did for me! Smoker gets used once or twice a week year round.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
I was a waiter for 6 years.

If someone told me they had paid for a cup of coffee I got them a coffee...even if they didn't prove it to me.

I had already paid, it was their mistake they didn't give me a coffee. This would be like if your example paid ahead for two burgers and you gave them one, as in your mistake. Instead of apologizing for their mistake they called me a liar. Then when I showed them proof they didn't apologize. All over something with a 20 cent food cost which I know from working in restaurants.

You claim to be a service expert and think that's smart business? That's horrible service if your goal is to make money with repeat business.

This place has already lost a lot of $ from me for calling me a liar over a $3 cup of coffee.
People lie about stupid stuff like that all of the time. Back when I worked in a place like that I would probably just give it to someone but that doesn’t mean I’m always just going to believe you. Frankly it sounds like you were being a jerk about it and that likely led to them not believing you.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
People lie about stupid stuff like that all of the time. Back when I worked in a place like that I would probably just give it to someone but that doesn’t mean I’m always just going to believe you. Frankly it sounds like you were being a jerk about it and that likely led to them not believing you.

Yeah I was a jerk because I paid in full, they wouldn't give me what I bought that costs 20 cents, I had to walk four blocks and come back with a digital receipt...while the $40 order I paid for sat there and these guys couldn't keep track of their own order system.

You give the person the freaking coffee unless you have no business sense like you're displaying. If you do refuse them and they prove to you that you were wrong you apologize. Jfc

Last edited:

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona

I think the point is so what if they were lying, it costs almost nothing to the company and you'll lose more in potential revenue from turning off customers than you gain in stopping someone from stealing a dollar from your company.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I think the point is so what if they were lying, it costs almost nothing to the company and you'll lose more in potential revenue from turning off customers than you gain in stopping someone from stealing a dollar from your company.

It was in a pretty affluent neighborhood, the odds that somebody pays ahead $40 and even tips ahead $6 in a wild scheme to steal a $3 coffee are astronomical.

Urbandale got me, I'm an evil person who should be happy to pay for things without receiving them. Someday I may reach his level of absolute perfection.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
any time I call to deal with my health insurance, I'm tempted to look up their address to set the place on fire. Mostly kidding, don't call the cops. Or the FBI, they're across state lines.

Too many stories of their total incompetence but suffice it to say, when I call in these days, odds are I know more about my policy than they do.

Two stories just from my recent pregnancy.

1. Needed to order a breast pump. Did it with my first, just needed to get access to the list of in-network pharmacies to be sure I could do exactly what I did before. Person on phone has no idea what I'm talking about. Says I have to call any of 3 phone numbers and order through medical supply centers. I say no, I don't. I just need to know where I go to see in-network. She repeats herself. I say fine, give me numbers.
I google them as she gives them to me, well 2, because she couldn't find the 3rd number (how helpful??) and it's just two different numbers for the same supply center that only provides catheters and ostomy bags. I cut in and tell her what she gave me is incorrect and can I speak to someone with more knowledge. No I cannot, here is another number. I give up and called that number and they are like couldn't the rep tell you where to find the list? Nope. They pointed me to my list and I did exactly what I'd intended to do from the start.

2. Two months later I'm home after having a baby and see I have a nice bill for $300 for a denied breast pump claim. I see red because I know this means I have to take more time to fix another of the insurance company's **** ups. And now I'm tired and all the things.

I call and I'm in a MOOD. So is the rep and she's giving me all sorts of attitude. She says it was denied because the item is "Not strictly for medical use" and I asked her exactly what she thinks I'm using this breast pump for over here. She's quiet, then claims my OB must have submitted the wrong code. I said well considering every time I've interacted with you (insurance), you've screwed something up, I'd like you to check that [insurance] didn't do it wrong. She's pissy and says to contact my OB and refuses to help further. I contacted the pharmacy instead and the person who handles insurance claims there returns my message and is incredulous and laughing saying no, OB submitted right stuff to them (since they do that literally every day, being an OB office) and insurance f'ed it up. She was laughing with me over the denial reason and how wrong my insurance was on something so, so routine. I say yeah, welcome to my life.

This company is trash and I hate them. I've spent so much time of my life trying to fix what they screw up, it's probably worth it to pay more to move to my spouse's just to get my time back.

Reactions: khardbored

Baby Red

Dec 27, 2017
I was moving from South Carolina back to Iowa. Went to post office to fill out change of address card. This was the main post office. I asked the post office guy where I could get one at. He said another post office. I asked where the other post office was at. He said he did not know. And then asked for the next customer.

ruflosn

Dec 21, 2008
I bought a pickup order online the other day and paid for a cup of coffee as part of it.

The coffee wasn't there and some employee refused to give me the cup of coffee that probably cost them 20 cents because he said it wasn't on the order. I asked him if he really thought I was lying to him to get a $3 cup of coffee added to a $40 order I'm paying for. I asked if he really thinks it's necessary for me to show some sort of proof?

The ticket wasn't even the paid total receipt, it was like the ticket the kitchen uses to cook the order that has no prices on it.

Finally I went out to the car (that was a few blocks away) and got my wife's phone to show him the order on his company's app. I showed him and he said he couldn't read it because it was too far away, needed to hold my phone to see it, I shoved it in his face and he got outraged that I shoved it in his face. Then just turned away and got my freaking coffee that I watched him pour.

Great customer service, accuse people of stealing a cup of coffee rather than just giving them a damn cup of coffee.
People have been known to get ****-slapped putting a phone in their face. Just saying.

Last edited: