Report: OU & Texas reach out to join SEC

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
The T2 CFers haven’t talked about the PAC for a while now.

Today was mostly about Chip and Joanna Gaines, changing the channel on bar TVs, Scarlett Johansson and Jeff Bezos’ penis rocket.
Those are my kinds of conversations. I should probably sign up.

• Eggplant
Reactions: Dandy

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
In my view, with the landscape of college athletics changing, conference affiliation matters exponentially more going forward. My opinion is that both ISU and UI are on the outside looking in. The best chance for one of them to remain relevant is for the other to take a back seat. Even then, it is hard for me believe either school will be relevant on the national stage 15 years from now.

Hawk fans who are taking joy in what is happening to ISU are naive to think otherwise. What is best for the state of Iowa would be for both teams to be nationally relevant. With that said, it seems clear to me that JP and other Big 12 conference schools sought indications of interest from other conferences and were politely told "not now".

Digging in until 2025 will end badly. Breaking away within 1 year will end badly. The remaining 8 will hold out as long as they can to make UT/OU pay as much as possible, but JP seems to understand they are ending up in the MAC no matter what. You might as well seek as much in damages as you can in the process. UI will face a similar fate by 2035 is my guess.
Dear StateofIowaFan10,

Im writing this message as a cease and desist, as the name you’ve chosen July 25, 2021 is far too close to mine, and will likely get confused with my own username “Statefan10”. I ask that you do so swiftly, as I’ve been an active member of this community for years and don’t need people getting me confused with you and your takes.

Statefan10

nuttttttttty

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
An undeniable law of physics when it comes to college football (or basically any form of competition) is that one team's success must come at the expense of another team. And this simple law of physics is the fatal flaw of the superconference.

The "blue blood" programs became blue bloods because they had a long history of success in their respective conferences. They achieved this long history of success because their conferences included weaker programs.

When you stack these blue blood programs into the same conference, the majority of them will no longer enjoy that degree of success. Their fans will become unhappy and their coaching staff will turn over. Of course, all these blue blood programs think they'll still be successful, but it's mathematically impossible.

Having many conferences stocked with programs of varying levels of success is vital to the ecosystem of college football. ESPN and the SEC have just destroyed this ecosystem because they no longer feel that $50+ million per year in TV revenue is satisfactory.

College football as we know it is about to die and greed will be the cause of death.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
An undeniable law of physics when it comes to college football (or basically any form of competition) is that one team's success must come at the expense of another team. And this simple law of physics is the fatal flaw of the superconference.

The "blue blood" programs became blue bloods because they had a long history of success in their respective conferences. They achieved this long history of success because their conferences included weaker programs.

When you stack these blue blood programs into the same conference, the majority of them will no longer enjoy that degree of success. Their fans will become unhappy and their coaching staff will turn over. Of course, all these blue blood programs think they'll still be successful, but it's mathematically impossible.

Having many conferences stocked with programs of varying levels of success is vital to the ecosystem of college football. ESPN and the SEC have just destroyed this ecosystem because they no longer feel that $50+ million per year in TV revenue is satisfactory.

College football as we know it is about to die and greed will be the cause of death.

ESPN and the SEC were banking on getting 5 teams from that league into the 12-team playoff every year and having that be sufficient to keep fans happy. If you go 9-3 and finish 3rd in your division as a blueblood, you’re probably still happy if you convince yourself it’s because you play all the good teams that matter, and ESPN talking heads push for you to get in the playoff over the 11-2 ACC or Pac-12 runner up.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
An undeniable law of physics when it comes to college football (or basically any form of competition) is that one team's success must come at the expense of another team.

Not when ESPN is blowing 1 trillion tons of sunshine up everyone's *** 24 hours a day.

CycloneWanderer

Nov 4, 2007
Wandering
It seems the comparisons to entertainment wrestling, bowling, and nascar are appropriate. If your sport is successful due to a bunch of highly regionalized and personalized teams/players/fans, consolidating the most successful teams/players into a single league or two can and will decrease the number of people who care about it - lowering the interest and engagement in the activity as a whole.

Media entities, due to greed, are acting against one of the key value drivers of college athletics - the volume of highly regionalized teams with passionate and engaged fans. Athletic directors and university leadership at these institutions are, for the most part, just taking direction from these media entities instead of making decisions based on broader institutional values and their mission as extensions of the universities they are attached to.

dabears32

Nov 23, 2009
It seems the comparisons to entertainment wrestling, bowling, and nascar are appropriate. If your sport is successful due to a bunch of highly regionalized and personalized teams/players/fans, consolidating the most successful teams/players into a single league or two can and will decrease the number of people who care about it - lowering the interest and engagement in the activity as a whole.

Media entities, due to greed, are acting against one of the key value drivers of college athletics - the volume of highly regionalized teams with passionate and engaged fans. Athletic directors and university leadership at these institutions are, for the most part, just taking direction from these media entities instead of making decisions based on broader institutional values and their mission as extensions of the universities they are attached to.
Oh for sure. My national interest in CFB is pretty much gone at this point and I think that will be true for a lot of people..

Thanks ESPN

Jeh

Dec 16, 2013
If we stick together and add BYU and Cincinnati, could we remain relevant in the postseason discussion by restricting our members' nonconference games to FBS teams? Or is that too expensive?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron