ISU Fans: How many of you have had BAD interactions with Hawk fans?

ISU Fans: How many of you have had BAD interactions with Hawk fans?

• Total voters

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Going to Iowa City for the CyHawk game is the worst. I probably will never go to another there again after the few that I have. Never fails that some obnoxious Hawk fan throws something at you or gets in your face to or from the stadium even if you just keep your eyes forward and don't say a word to anyone.
I will never go back there. Went in ‘06 and it was an awful experience. And Iowa WON the damn game too. Had some jackass screaming in my face and walking with me from about 50 yards. I luckily saw a cop near by and was actually sober so I didn’t do anything stupid and just kept walking.

tigershoops31

Apr 13, 2006
Ames
I was in middle school for the stretch of ISU winning 5 straight in the Cy Hawks series. I may have brought it upon myself, but I made a lot of enemies for rubbing it in. Then in high school after Iowa had broke the losing streak, anytime after that when ISU won I was made to feel like I should apologize for it, because it was literally me vs the entire school in terms of fandom. They couldn't even let me be happy about it.

Dang, you know the hawk fans are dumb when they make fun of you for ISU losing instead of just taking the low hanging fruit and teasing you for being in MS for 5 years!

To answer the OP question, I grew up in SE Iowa as a hawk fan because I didn't know any better until we moved to central Iowa after 5th grade. The local paper was the Burlington Hawkeye and never covered anything ISU except as the opponent for Iowa once a year. Took mostly friendly shots from hawk fans when we moved back there in HS, but in college had plenty of bad interactions, especially when going to games in IC with ISU gear on.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Dang, you know the hawk fans are dumb when they make fun of you for ISU losing instead of just taking the low hanging fruit and teasing you for being in MS for 5 years!

To answer the OP question, I grew up in SE Iowa as a hawk fan because I didn't know any better until we moved to central Iowa after 5th grade. The local paper was the Burlington Hawkeye and never covered anything ISU except as the opponent for Iowa once a year. Took mostly friendly shots from hawk fans when we moved back there in HS, but in college had plenty of bad interactions, especially when going to games in IC with ISU gear on.
I had to repeat a year or two or three;)

cyphoon

Sep 8, 2011
Avoid walmart and taverns in any town with less than 5000 people and this problem largely takes care of itself.

If that isn't good enough, then spend more time at your local library. Books are like kryptonite to hawk fans.

H

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
I had an appointment at the UofI hospital a few years back, and someone ripped off my Cyclone State sticker off my car in the hospital parking garage.

Another time, when I was like 11 or 12, I got free tickets to a Iowa game vs Indiana, and I made the mistake of wearing a non-Iowa State red shirt with gold lettering. My friend (same age as me) and I were just walking around exploring the place before the game, since it was our first time at a game at Kinnick, and some ****bag chucked a glass beer bottle at us walking, but luckily missed by like 3 feet. Chucking a glass bottle. At a 12 year old.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I have never ever gone out of my way to make a comment to a hawk fan. But for some reason, they feel the need to do so. I could be in Florida or Colorado with ISU gear on and it never fails, a hawk fan will say something.

I can't remember what state I was in and had that happen, some asshat yelled "Go Hawks " at me "F*ck the Hawks" slipped out before I could help myself. Oops.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
I will never go back there. Went in ‘06 and it was an awful experience. And Iowa WON the damn game too. Had some jackass screaming in my face and walking with me from about 50 yards. I luckily saw a cop near by and was actually sober so I didn’t do anything stupid and just kept walking.

I went to the game in '04. I will never go to another Iowa/Iowa State game in Iowa City.

Reactions: cg1974

GoldCard

Nov 25, 2016
Wait?!? Are there good interactions with Hawk fans? Even the "good" ones are typically insufferable. My Husker friends and Hawk friends are similar in most ways. The difference being that with Nebraska fans it is delusions based on something that was but will probably never be again. With Hawk fans it is just delusions.

NDMARTIN2015

Jun 7, 2018
Des Moines
I had a dildo thrown at me at a CyHawk tailgate and it missed, and smoked girl in the face. Other than that, I've worn cyclone gear in Iowa City to the bars and nothing has really happened. One very drunk guy tried getting in an argument with me in Pita Pit but he was so drunk he was speaking pure gibberish.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I don't understand why this narrative is always brought up by our fanbase, as if there aren't a ton of ISU students from Chicagoland or the Twin Cities. Maybe it used to a much greater disparity, but I graduated from ISU in 2011 and there were a lot of kids from both of those places I knew. Heck, the 2020 enrollment numbers on both university sites show iowa at 60.5 % and ISU at 56.3% for Iowans. And yes, I'll acknowledge that I'm probably being oversensitive about it as a someone originally from the Chicago suburbs.

I do agree with your premise of hawkeye grads being more tolerable than the t-shirt fans.
Wow, for the longest time it was Iowa with about 45-48% instate and Iowa state at 60ish%