Aaron Rodgers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
right, but he’s also under contract and shouldn’t pout if they say”no”

if you did that in your job how would it work out for you?

If I didn't want to do something at work I wouldn't. I've actually quit a career position job on the spot before. Employment is a two way street and it has to benefit both parties. I don't have the kind of money that Rodgers has, but I could quit my job tomorrow and be okay for a while. He doesn't ever have to work again.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006

You cannot compare an NFL contract to a contract that your average person might enter. They're not the same thing, so if you start from the assumption that they are, you're making a mistake.

NFL contracts, outside of very, very few are not guaranteed, meaning the team can cancel them at any time for any reason and stop paying the player. How would that work out in the real world?
Additionally, rules for holding out are written into the collective bargaining agreement that players and teams have agreed to. It's a legitimate and expected strategy for players to affect change. It's the power given to players to counterbalance those non-guaranteed contracts.

Don't fall for the "he agreed to the contract, he should honor it" propaganda. Literally zero teams stick to that logic when it isn't beneficial to them.

ClonesTwenty1

May 23, 2018

Personally, I’m not an ass kisser and I don’t kiss my bosses ass. I speak my mind at work and my managers know where I stand on multiple issues at work.

Reactions: Macloney

mplueg

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 27, 2009
If I didn't want to do something at work I wouldn't. I've actually quit a career position job on the spot before. Employment is a two way street and it has to benefit both parties. I don't have the kind of money that Rodgers has, but I could quit my job tomorrow and be okay for a while. He doesn't ever have to work again.

exactly - so he can quit, trying to bully himself into a trade is ridiculous!

• Dumb
Reactions: cyrocksmypants

mplueg

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 27, 2009
You cannot compare an NFL contract to a contract that your average person might enter. They're not the same thing, so if you start from the assumption that they are, you're making a mistake.

NFL contracts, outside of very, very few are not guaranteed, meaning the team can cancel them at any time for any reason and stop paying the player. How would that work out in the real world?
Additionally, rules for holding out are written into the collective bargaining agreement that players and teams have agreed to. It's a legitimate and expected strategy for players to affect change. It's the power given to players to counterbalance those non-guaranteed contracts.

Don't fall for the "he agreed to the contract, he should honor it" propaganda. Literally zero teams stick to that logic when it isn't beneficial to them.

we’re in a free will state, you sign that when you start. Anyone can virtually be fired for any reason.

if he doesn’t like it quit! Bullying his way into trying to get his way and get the front office fired is ridiculous

• Dumb

flynnhicks03

The Man That You Love to Hate
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
www.mapcon.com
we’re in a free will state, you sign that when you start. Anyone can virtually be fired for any reason.

if he doesn’t like it quit! Bullying his way into trying to get his way and get the front office fired is ridiculous

"Bullying" is a dumb way of looking at it. People "bully" their employers everyday by asking for raises, promotions, etc People have to look out for themselves.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006

At will employment does not factor in here. Not in the slightest.

We're talking about contracts. There are terms for cancelling an NFL contract. Teams are given certain circumstances under which they are allowed to void them and players are given circumstances under which they are allowed to hold out.

There's really nothing beyond that. If the Packers don't like what Rodgers is saying, they are free to terminate his contract under the terms of the collective bargaining agreement. If he refuses to play games, they are allowed to fine him under those same terms.

I highly doubt they're going to do either of those things though.

Reactions: Macloney

mplueg

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 27, 2009
At will employment does not factor in here. Not in the slightest.

We're talking about contracts. There are terms for cancelling an NFL contract. Teams are given certain circumstances under which they are allowed to void them and players are given circumstances under which they are allowed to hold out.

There's really nothing beyond that. If the Packers don't like what Rodgers is saying, they are free to terminate his contract under the terms of the collective bargaining agreement. If he refuses to play games, they are allowed to fine him under those same terms.

I highly doubt they're going to do either of those things though.

I just think it is unfortunate that the players have all the power. Has the front office done him any favors - no, but it is not his job to regulate the front office.

I think it is very hypocritical being butt hurt over them taking Love last year

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
I just think it is unfortunate that the players have all the power. Has the front office done him any favors - no, but it is not his job to regulate the front office.

I don’t have a dog in this fight because I don’t care about the Packers and I don’t care about Rodgers, but that bolded part of what you said......big yikes if that’s how you think it works.

mplueg

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 27, 2009
I don’t have a dog in this fight because I don’t care about the Packers and I don’t care about Rodgers, but that bolded part of what you said......big yikes if that’s how you think it works.

lol how?

has a player ever not had their trade request granted? No - because it’s in the best interest of the organization to do so - the organizations get screwed in these situations

• Dumb
Reactions: Cydkar

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006

Are you kidding? The players absolutely do not have the power. Not in the NFL. In the NBA, players have far more power. The owners by far have more power in football though.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
lol how?

has a player ever not had their trade request granted? No - because it’s in the best interest of the organization to do so - the organizations get screwed in these situations
Players have literally never had the power in the NFL. It’s why they had to create the NFLPA. That’s why they have collective bargaining agreements. And they still don’t have power. The only power they have is to request a trade or sit out. Teams can dump players at any time for any reason. If you think players have all of the power, you haven’t been paying attention through the history of the sport.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Are you kidding? The players absolutely do not have the power. Not in the NFL. In the NBA, players have far more power. The owners by far have more power in football though.
He sounds like someone that gets angry at factory workers when they strike for safe working conditions.

mplueg

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 27, 2009

how?

name a player that has wanted out that hasn’t gotten their way. It’s in the best interest of the organization to move on. The organization has no power in these matters.

we’ll have to agree to disagree

• Dumb

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
lol how?

Melvin gordon.
how?

name a player that has wanted out that hasn’t gotten their way. It’s in the best interest of the organization to move on. The organization has no power in these matters.

we’ll have to agree to disagree
Melvin Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron