Tristan Enaruna Commits

Thorongil Clone

Gone to Numenor
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 2, 2021
I absolutely love Conditt. I’ve said it here before. I think he’s a fantastic human being and a phenomenal ambassador for the university. I’ve said it multiple times right on these very boards.

I just don’t allow my judgement of him as a Cyclone to cloud my opinion of him as a player based on what he’s shown us. I think he’s at his best as a high energy guy off the bench where he can have a burst of 4 points, 5 rebounds and 2 blocks over a 6 minute period of time.
Ok Mr. Editor, are you a Brit (in addition to being a coastal elite)? :mccaffery:

Reactions: SCyclone

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I would find a rotation of 9-10 players getting regular time in the rotation refreshing.

Whether from lack of talent depth or purely coaching game management choices, the short bench/6-7 player rotations have bugged me during both the Hoiberg and Prohm tenures.

We have had some high caliber players who justifiably were playing a lot of minutes, but I always felt like we were playing shorter rotations than other teams (no stats for it, just the feeling I have had watching and occasionally checked in box scores after games).

IMO it helps everyone to sacrifice some starter minute and play a deeper rotation. Starters are fresher for end of game situations, more engaged/competitive practices if the end of bench guys know there's a real opportunity to earn some minutes, and reduced impact of injuries and foul trouble if you have back end players with experience already.

In principle at least, I'd like to have a 9- or 10-deep, too. It doesn't mean playing 9 or 10 *every* game. Main 6 or 7 still could be a norm, but maybe not always the same at 7-8-9 in rotation. Varied lineup depending on factors like foul trouble, a player struggling in a specific game, customizing based on opponent/game situation, dynamic of "bench spark."

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Need a little silk to go with that grit. He’s a Euro. Don’t try to change the puzzle pieces, figure out how they fit together.
Seems like the mentality that got Prohm fired to me. Maybe TJ is a better puzzler put together-er

gj524

Aug 10, 2018
In principle at least, I'd like to have a 9- or 10-deep, too. It doesn't mean playing 9 or 10 *every* game. Main 6 or 7 still could be a norm, but maybe not always the same at 7-8-9 in rotation. Varied lineup depending on factors like foul trouble, a player struggling in a specific game, customizing based on opponent/game situation, dynamic of "bench spark."
Agreed, not always feasible in every game.

I just like to have the end of rotation guys feel involved and be prepared to play. I also like it when guys on the court know they can go 100 mph while they're on the court because they know they are going to get a breather rather than having to conserve energy.

My preferred style of basketball just leans more towards the old "Press Virginia" strategy Huggins would use with deep benches.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

Bardman

Dec 7, 2009
Mesa, AZ
That's a really long rotation. I do agree Kunc may get some at the five. Enaruna isn't going to play the 4 regardless of his height. I see the rotation maxing out at 10, but more likely 8 or 9. Here's my 10 to draw from.

Hunter/ Walker or Grill
Kalscheur/ Grill
Enaruna/ Hinson
Hinson/ TBD/ Kunc
Foster/ Conditt or Jones/ Kunc

not saying all 12 guys play every game but I believe all of these guys will play. not sure about enaruna as a 4 but we may play 4 out one in at some point and he has the flexibility to guard multiple spots. he can definitely start with the group I mentioned.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

I just like to have the end of rotation guys feel involved and be prepared to play. I also like it when guys on the court know they can go 100 mph while they're on the court because they know they are going to get a breather rather than having to conserve energy.

My preferred style of basketball just leans more towards the old "Press Virginia" strategy Huggins would use with deep benches.

Gross.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com

I'm with you to a point. If your 8/9/10 guys are a very noticeable dip from 1-7, then it's a bad idea. Looking at you, Fran.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Conditt is an upperclassmen and might be much better under Otz. Don’t assume he’s the same player as before, the potential is there.
Yeah, people underestimate the value of good, creative guards to a big man. If you don't get it to him in the right spots, or can't beat your man well enough to draw the help, you just made his job all that much harder.
He gave basically zero effort last season and was extremely out of shape 3/4 of the season as well. I'm putting no stock into what George was under Prohm, and putting 100% stock into potential.
He’s going to be a senior. CAN he improve? Absolutely. But I think you get to a point where you have to stop banking on potential and just realizing people are what they are.
Would love to see George kill it this year! Will he? I'm sure he will be improved with fresh start and fresh players. And he's got competition now! If he wants to play he's going to have to improve. It also sounds like he's really working hard on his game so that's good.

As Cyclonepride said he will also have some more competent guards, and a true PG leading the team, distributing the ball, getting him open looks , hopefully (like when he was a freshman?).

Reactions: Cyclonepride

gj524

Aug 10, 2018
I interpreted @gj524 comment not so much about the specific Huggins style, but more a reference to being able to go full-steam all-40 and using deep bench. (I might be mistaken).
I'm with you to a point. If your 8/9/10 guys are a very noticeable dip from 1-7, then it's a bad idea. Looking at you, Fran.
The ability for all 8-10 guys playing to go max effort on defense/rebounding is really all I was referencing, but it does require players #8-10 to be good enough to trust on the floor and trust that they will develop into Big 12 caliber players.

I also tend to think having depth is a bit self-fulfilling one way or the other. Playing a short bench and fewer minutes gives the impression team depth is worse, while more playing time/opportunities for players 8-10 (while accepting less production in the short term) makes them more equipped to play more minutes and go deeper into the bench more regularly which I think benefits the team long term once the young guys start to grow.

Reactions: cyclones500