Greg McElroy: 'Ludicrous' to call Iowa State football a top-four team

06_CY

Apr 11, 2006
I've been thinking about expectations and I honestly want them to be motivated during lifting/spring ball....then hyper focused as fall hits.

They are kids, so they'll see Twitter, GameDay, ESPN and all the chatter. I love our staff and their calm/expect to win attitudes and each week we will be favored (maybe not OU)....so blocking other noise (or choosing to use it) will be a unique challenge as the CFB hype train keeps.rolling!

Side note, if we are top 5 going into season...I want to open with a 20 pt win vs UNI. ☺️

Just 20 points? I was thinking like 45-0 at least.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
I don't think there should be poll Top 25's until after the 2nd or 3rd week. Let teams play a few games first.

I think a lot of structural issues with the poll would be remedied by not having one until after the second week of conference play (week 5) but that would require those involved to do their homework and not just pick the same teams they always do. I can't say I'd be confident of that. But at least there would be some context in the poll for where teams get slotted.

• Winner
Reactions: VeloClone and 06_CY

frackincygy

Jul 13, 2015
Seems like a high-risk, low-reward take imo

Lets say ISU falls short of these ridiculously high "expectations" - everyone already thinks they will; but IF ISU lives up to the hype... well I'm not sure there will be enough crow to go around.

Maybe the best strategy would have just been to say nothing?... Then again we are talking about a has been 'Bama quarterback who rode the twin-headed backfield of Trent Richardson and Mark Ingram to a Natty over UT playing their 2nd stringer - I mean that 'Bammer team was DOMINATE against the likes of FIU, North Texas, and Chattanooga

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
The target on our backs is large this year. Outside of being the team that other teams look at for a Top 10 upset win, there are going to be a lot of people rooting for us to fail to prove they were right. Most college football fans may have casually rooted for us last year due to our history, but the underdog label was ripped off when we got ranked in front of Ohio State.
**** um

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
ISU might never make believers out the CFB media, but all that matters is what the team believes. Greg dumping on ISU is not something new, but this is a golden opportunity to silence the critics. A lot to prove and it starts early in the season.

Reactions: SimpsonClone

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I see no issue with us being Top 4.

If, say, Michigan finished ranked #9, won a NY6 bowl and returned nearly every meaningful starter including the conference Offensive and Defensive POY, where do you suppose they'd be ranked?

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
Expect to hear a lot of his drivel from the SEC/Big Ten. Baylor winning the men's basketball title scared a lot of these folks.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron