JTS Improvements - Want More

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
It's more than that. First off, the fill is going to be above ground level, because the old hillsides went right down to the sidewalk. It's going to end up being about halfway up that wall. Second, the north end of the hillsides will need to be filled because they will go right into the elevated walkway.

Yes, just like the northeast corner is showing currently.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Depends on if you are talking direct revenue or not. The SPC isn't revenue producing. But, if it helps with recruiting, that means better teams, more ticket sales, more donations. The Hilton renovations improve the fan experience and could also affect recruiting. That project could end up helping the bottom line. The projects that have very little chance of affecting revenue are facilities for Olympic sports...and a majority of those projects are already done. Really, only Wrestling and Swimming and Diving are the only programs without major facility upgrades in the last 10 years.

Obviously, the only real direct revenue producing upgrades are expanding/new venues (for revenue sports) and luxury areas.

Gymnastics is still using pretty much the same room in Beyer Hall. And I think it is still lacking AC (which was an issue back when K.J. Kindler was here).

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: cycloner29 and Frak

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I know they are functional and it doesn't really matter when the stadium is full, but I wish they would replace all the old seating. It is very faded. It would be nice if it matched the brightness of our school colors.

I'm not sure the "old seating" is faded. It just looks faded from certain angles. I think it has always been had that faded-look. And it doesn't seem nearly as bad up close.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
My God, it's giant. I remember when I was a wee lad and saw that cool white spine going up that would become Bergstrom and thinking it was absolutely massive. Now it looks rather petite behind the SPC. I'm sure perspective plays a large role in that, but I'm also sure that the scale of this thing is lost in photos.

Not sure what could have been done differently, but the coolness of the "football-looking" Bergstrom facility has been largely lost now that it is stuck behind the SPC. I wish there had been some way to retain its prominence.

beentherebefore

Nov 24, 2007
Gymnastics is still using pretty much the same room in Beyer Hall. And I think it is still lacking AC (which was an issue back when K.J. Kindler was here).
Maybe Beyer Hall is really due for an upgrade. My daughter who is a current student makes it sound as though it looks a lot like 1988 in there.

beentherebefore

Nov 24, 2007
I'm not sure the "old seating" is faded. It just looks faded from certain angles. I think it has always been had that faded-look. And it doesn't seem nearly as bad up close.
And before the current metal/aluminum seats, there was the original fiberglass. And those fiberglass bench seats were not as deep as the current aluminum ones if my mind serves.

Cleaver

Jul 9, 2015
Maybe Beyer Hall is really due for an upgrade. My daughter who is a current student makes it sound as though it looks a lot like 1988 in there.
Because it does look like 1988 in there. I'm not sure there has been any substantial renovations done in Beyer Hall for quite some time. I haven't been in there since 2017, but the facilities for the gymnastics and S&D team were really lacking.

Reactions: RustShack

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
Most of the forms pulled from the west tower, and the Olsen is nearly gone.

JackCammer2.jpg

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Beyer hall was "refreshed" when the new State Gym project was completed

Added the walkway to State Gym. Painted the Gymnastics Room to have a current logo and inspirational banners. Got rid of the massive US flag in the pool, painted to lighten up the room, and got a new scoreboard and records board. Thus, mostly ornamental. Ventilation still seems to be an issue on hot days.

Nor'easter

Sep 25, 2016
Beyer hall is just fine. The gym is actually pretty cool, if I recall the floor is similar to State Gym with retro logos on the floor. And the racquet ball courts are lit.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
Looks like they doubled up the thickness where the dirt will be. That should give a pretty good indication of the fill level.

At one time I saw a rendering that showed the hillsides "terraced", and that doubled-up area you mention appears to show the same terracing. I'm wondering now if its maybe for future concrete levels for seating when the NEZ is truly bowled in?

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
That is quite the retaining wall. They're going to have to bring in a LOT of dirt.
Just to check, they have to fill in all that dirt, then seed or (more likely) sod both hillsides. And get the roots set and healthy enough for kids to scramble all over it by September...correct?

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
Just to check, they have to fill in all that dirt, then seed or (more likely) sod both hillsides. And get the roots set and healthy enough for kids to scramble all over it by September...correct?
New sod will develope a root base in just two weeks. Having kids running around on this shouldn't be a concern.

When they moved the high school football field in my home town the sodding wasn't done until a few weeks before the first game. And aside from a couple huge divots taken out by cleats it held up well. I found it comical seeing the players replacing these divots like a golfer would. A few weeks into the season the divots were much less common.

Reactions: Aclone

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Reactions: Dormeezy

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron