Williams/Blum Pod: It's time to start talking the next round of TV contracts

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Well, the MBB makeup games appear to have been set with priority on getting as many games in as possible (INVENTORY!!), with little regard for travel impact.

*TCU plays in Ames on Saturday, in Lubbock on Tuesday, and in Morgantown on Thursday.
*ISU plays in Ames on Tuesday, Lubbock on Thursday, and Manhattan on Saturday.
*Texas plays in Lubbock on Saturday, Ames on Tuesday, Norman on Thursday and Fort Worth on Sunday. (They only have road games to make up, but still.)
*OSU will go from Waco on Thursday to Morgantown on Saturday.

Reactions: brentblum

Boomer

Jun 7, 2010
If OU went to another conference, they would be treated like the drunken in-law (like Texas AM). If they were doing well, hey great we will put them in a NY6 but push one of the old timers to the natty game. They will get knocked to 1B status in the conference.

For Iowa State's sake I hope you don't have to see how laughably wrong you are.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Put me down for an Amazon streaming preference.
I think CBS will go ACC. Clemson, Miami, FSU, plus they could most likely get the non NBC, ACC tie in Notre Dame games.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
For Iowa State's sake I hope you don't have to see how laughably wrong you are.
What conference you think would accept you. Big ten and PAC 12 are a no. That leaves SEC and ACC. ACC would be questionable with your academic standings. You may want to find out how people laugh at your academics.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I would disagree here. If I'm the guy sitting across the table from you pitching an ad deal, I'm going to be VERY interested in my success rate. Let's say that traditional TV advertisement successfully engages 5% of those who view the ad and is responsible for new sales. You, the ad buyer would put pen to paper and "value" that ad. If that ad space drives new sales of $50M, then you surely wouldn't want to pay more than that. You'd have to develop your own value and call it maybe worth $25M for the risk. Now lets say I'm this marketing director for one of the big tech companies and I can show you data that in comparable sectors of industry, our success rate is 20% engagement. You now a few options. You can buy 4x few ads to drive that same level of business, or you pay 4x as much and drive new sales of $200M. The numbers are completely made up for my example.

Now this is a very interesting read! It's kind of the the coaches who won't punt on 4th down because they "know the odds." You have the old school traditional "if it's not broke don't fix it" mentality fighting up against modern tech and frankly a different society. I was in total agreement with the targeted search part of the article. I purposely avoid ever clicking on paid link. It also makes sense on why I posted that original comment that it was so difficult to find consistent numbers. They were all over the damn place. Most data you can easily find is put out by people slinging the product...and I never trust that stuff. I do have trouble accepting the same conclusion on the targeted ads. I can appreciate the "most targeted ad's just target people who would have bought your stuff anyway" comment but I can honestly say that targeted ad's have worked for me on spurring my memory or introducing me to a competing company. For example, I'm currently in the process of building a house and my brain is all over the bloody place. Well *shudders* my devices track everything I do. So when I search for something on Monday, then forget about it, and an ad pops up on Thursday, I'm often finding myself saying "oh yeah!" and doing more research on that tool, piece of furniture, etc. To add to the creepy levels here, I was talking to my fiance about a new tool that I just bought. She pulled up facebook 2 minutes later and an ad for said tool was in her FB feed.

Alexa in the house?

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
Put me down for an Amazon streaming preference.
I think CBS will go ACC. Clemson, Miami, FSU, plus they could most likely get the non NBC, ACC tie in Notre Dame games.
ACC is locked up with ESPN/ABC thru 2036. Only P5 options for CBS are the B12 and P12.

cyman05

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 7, 2010
I do agree with Boomer on a few things. OU fans generally are not thrilled with their home schedule, since the best game is always out of state, but that is their problem, they should just go to home and homes and solve that problem.

Also, it‘s probably 15M a year at least, maybe 20. So in 10 years you are talking 150-200M dollars. That is a lot.

the Big 12 solves nothing for OU other than giving it a way to the playoff, and I do agree, the conference should try to better itself and now is probably the time.

I don’t see how the Big Ten is even an option, makes no sense, I don’t think fair minded people think that makes sense. Besides, Nebraska just did it, and it was stupid. Going to the Big 10 west is nonsense, nobody thinks that is a good idea.

However, let’s entertain the option of the SEC. OU isn’t bulletproof. Going to the SEC doesn’t solve any problems, in fact it creates more, other than you will have more money to pay the buyouts for your coaches. It makes the football job impossible.....fans demand playoffs, coach can’t deliver. Pretty soon it’s 20 years since Baker Mafield played, nobody remembers OU as being any good, and you are just a western outpost in the SEC that nobody cares about. A fate of Nebraska for OU is not out of the question and really it would be 50/50. But if you really want the SEC, look at Arkansas or Missouri, nobody even knows where that is anymore. Now I know you guys think you are so superior to Arkansas that you would scoff at that. But that is your fate down there. Nobody in the SEC gives a damn about Oklahoma, hell you all are a bunch of hillbillies to them.

DFW isn’t that close, it’s still 3 hours. And if you guys go to the SEC, you got nothing to offer a Texas kid they can’t get somewhere else in Texas, Alabama, Louisiana, Arkansas or Missouri. You just took over the western outpost of the SEC, congrats, your Arkansas now. Great job.

It’s a big gamble for OU to leave, I think it would be the end of OU as a college football blue blood, and really as a force in college football the way it has been.

But I agree, the Big 12 needs to figure something out to get more eyeballs. I love the Big 12, and I love watching our games. but we just don’t have a ton of good games on a weekly basis right now. Tech, TCU, Baylor, K State, Kansas, Ok State, and Iowa State...those matchups are regional on a good day. Just not a lot of sex there.

I think those are all great points. I can see how an OU fan would be antsy and wish the opponents had more brand appeal. I get it. But as much as Boomer doesn’t want to admit it, OU fans are making the assumption they’ll be great regardless of their conference affiliation. Could that be true? Possibly, but as you said it’s be a big gamble. When I threw out $10M a year to take the gamble I just tossed out a number but you’re all right it’d probably be upwards of 15 or even 20. The point remains, why do you need the money? What does it do for you? If you lose-then donations, ticket sales, increased travel, loss of brand equity, coaches buyouts, etc are going to eat up a big chunk of the TV dollars as you alluded to. And fans may think it’s great to play LSU every year but no longer being the geographic center of the conference has disadvantages too for a fan base that travels well.

I’m sure Boomer will have an answer for all this though.

Tri4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2012
Des Moines
Alexa in the house?

Nope. Just her iPhone. One of the creepiest stories was a few years ago I started getting dating app ads starting to populate. This all started about two weeks before my then girlfriend told me she was moving and wanted to end the relationship. My ******* cell phone knew before it was official.

• Wow
Reactions: Cycsk and NWICY

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I know its not a popular take but most Oklahoma fans would certainly rather play an SEC schedule from ticket value-roadtrip perspective and a segment wouldn't consider the Big Ten west a downgrade in any fashion. - From a fans point of view these factors have zero to do with the money.

Outside of the fan value, the league desperately needs to acquire recruiting turf/eyebrows. Like legit think the Big XII could poach the Arizona schools - Phoenix is a huge growing metro of talent/eyebrows. If there really isn't any movement to improve the leagues long term success probabilities why are we bothering?

What on earth do you see in the Big 10 West as an improvement in scheduling? The games are farther and the teams aren't any more prestigious.

I realize that OU internet fans have really developed a "we're too good for the Big 12" schtick, but haven't you guys learned anything at all? Every other conference is just as full of undesirable games, you will travel farther to attend those undesirable games, and if you're in the SEC, you'll have to get through more than one other blue blood to do anything.

If you want to be Nebraska or A&M that's your prerogative, I guess. But that's the fate that awaits you if you blow the Big 12 up.

Last edited:

Win5002

Apr 20, 2010
I know its not a popular take but most Oklahoma fans would certainly rather play an SEC schedule from ticket value-roadtrip perspective and a segment wouldn't consider the Big Ten west a downgrade in any fashion. - From a fans point of view these factors have zero to do with the money.

Outside of the fan value, the league desperately needs to acquire recruiting turf/eyebrows. Like legit think the Big XII could poach the Arizona schools - Phoenix is a huge growing metro of talent/eyebrows. If there really isn't any movement to improve the leagues long term success probabilities why are we bothering?

I don't believe adding even ASU by itself pays for itself in terms of tv money and definitely not ASU & AZ. Look at their ratings. There is no way diluting the number of OU & Tx games as a percentage of inventory is paid for by ASU & AZ or even one and a team from another state. Yes it would look nice stability wise but it wouldn't increase value.

The only thing I can see adding value is USC +1 team or USC & UCLA adding two other teams(maybe 4 but thats questionable).

Possibly a Neb/Arkansas addition that brought back super rivalries could pay for themselves and I do believe if networks tried to put teams where they had the most economic value networks would consider urging those schools to go to the Big 12. I also think both Neb & Ark. could get back to a more competitive status but I realize its not likely for them to leave the SEC & B1G unless networks seriously looked at the economic value of the inventory in the two leagues for those schools.

Really dreaming here but USC, UCLA, Neb., Ark. and Or./Wash. or ASU/Co. might add some tv revenue value as well as improve Nebraska recruiting significantly with access to California and Texas again.

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
Big ten academics would never allow OU. Have to be AAU first, OU is near the bottom of the big 12 in academics. ISU, Texas, Kansas are the AAU schools that I know. So forget about the big ten.

Now $$$, they are 10-15 short, but don’t they still have their own tier 3 deal. Thought that was about 8MM a year. So that trims the difference down to about 5 MM.
Nebraska was an AAU school and they got kicked out. TMK, the only school to ever get outed. big14 no longer can say all schools are AAU members

Boomer

Jun 7, 2010
I think those are all great points. I can see how an OU fan would be antsy and wish the opponents had more brand appeal. I get it. But as much as Boomer doesn’t want to admit it, OU fans are making the assumption they’ll be great regardless of their conference affiliation. Could that be true? Possibly, but as you said it’s be a big gamble. When I threw out $10M a year to take the gamble I just tossed out a number but you’re all right it’d probably be upwards of 15 or even 20. The point remains, why do you need the money? What does it do for you? If you lose-then donations, ticket sales, increased travel, loss of brand equity, coaches buyouts, etc are going to eat up a big chunk of the TV dollars as you alluded to. And fans may think it’s great to play LSU every year but no longer being the geographic center of the conference has disadvantages too for a fan base that travels well.

I’m sure Boomer will have an answer for all this though.
The difference in money over a decade could mean Arkansas and Vandy are making a hundred and fifty million more than Oklahoma - that is untenable in the era following Covid. That is facilities, coaching staff/support staff etc.

This conference has Lubbock and Morgantown in it, stop acting like its a bus league, No fan gives a rip if they are in the air for an extra thirty minutes

Boomer

Jun 7, 2010
What conference you think would accept you. Big ten and PAC 12 are a no. That leaves SEC and ACC. ACC would be questionable with your academic standings. You may want to find out how people laugh at your academics.

Buddy our literally stated goal is to reach AAU status as soon as possible via biomedical research

If you'll read through the site, see strategy four, tactic two.. well hey if you can't see what Oklahoma's goal is both academically and athletically I cant help you.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Yeah the Big 10 makes no sense from many different avenues. Those away games aren't road trips. They are plane trips. You aren't driving 12 hours to Wisconsin to watch a game. It's just not happening.

The SEC makes a little more sense, but it's still a 9 hour drive to LSU.

People need to look at it beyond conf. distributions from TV deals, which makes the differences seem larger than they are.

You are talking about an Oklahoma Athletic Department that makes something like $175 million in revenue per year. When you factor in the tier 3 differences, you are really talking about a relatively small difference in an era where the money has been so big for so long that there's incredible diminished utility.

Depending on tier 3, you are maybe talking a 4-5% dip in AD revenue with a jump to the SEC in a vacuum. What are the financial impacts of going from being the undisputed best team in a power conference to duking it out with the likes of Georgia, Florida and LSU for second-fiddle?

To show the diminished utility on the amount of money we're talking about, the Big 10 has had a MASSIVE money advantage for well over a decade vs. the Big 12. And yet the Big 12 has been a better conference during that period consistently by most power ranking systems.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Buddy our literally stated goal is to reach AAU status as soon as possible via biomedical research

If you'll read through the site, see strategy four, tactic two.. well hey if you can't see what Oklahoma's goal is both academically and athletically I cant help you.
Easier said than done. Have a friend who is a JUCO coach, his school is still sending athletes your way and a few of them wanted to go to ISU, couldn’t get in due to academics, got into OU with no issue. May want to raise admission standards. Those are considered also.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
People need to look at it beyond conf. distributions from TV deals, which makes the differences seem larger than they are.

You are talking about an Oklahoma Athletic Department that makes something like $175 million in revenue per year. When you factor in the tier 3 differences, you are really talking about a relatively small difference in an era where the money has been so big for so long that there's incredible diminished utility.

Depending on tier 3, you are maybe talking a 4-5% dip in AD revenue with a jump to the SEC in a vacuum. What are the financial impacts of going from being the undisputed best team in a power conference to duking it out with the likes of Georgia, Florida and LSU for second-fiddle?

To show the diminished utility on the amount of money we're talking about, the Big 10 has had a MASSIVE money advantage for well over a decade vs. the Big 12. And yet the Big 12 has been a better conference during that period consistently by most power ranking systems.
The post in front of yours should be something people pay attention to. Why does OU want AAU status? It isn’t because they can go big ten, it’s because government research (which the first step of the researcher pyramid— AAU status) makes athletic payments look like pocket change. Nebraska screwed up royally when they lost that. Hurts them harder than anything they gained in the big ten.

Leath was bad for us. We make unbelievable amounts from research. OU has finally woke up but they are way behind.

delt4cy

May 11, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Here's a simple solution for OU. Quit absolutely stubbing your toe against K-State (or the like) year-in-and-year out! OU is in the playoffs this year and maybe has the horses to get to CCG if they don't absolutely choke against K-State. (almost every year they've been left out, a similar unconscionable loss is the factor) I genuinely root for OU outside of when we play them and it's infuriating. At this juncture in the college football landscape, OU is in the cat-bird seat. Texas is fledgling and all it takes to get a final 4 spot is win the games you should win with superior talent.

This has nothing to do with the weakness or perception of the Big 12 and everything to do with the getting lazy mid-season. I think it's a culture problem Entitled to Ws and fall asleep at the wheel. That doesn't get magically fixed by adding LSU/A&M/Bama/Auburn to the schedule. Sure as hell doesn't get fixed by traveling to the upper midwest for 6 games a year (3 or 4 of which would be in late October/November).

The math and path only improves for OU when an inevitable 8-team playoff comes into play.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron