2020 Taxes

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Because I compare government services to corporate services. Last Spring they put $2,400 in our account electronically, so they have all my bank info. But yet this time they send a $600 check (instead of direct deposit) and somehow overlook the other $600. It's like the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. So they throw a fix into the tax forms and tell you to figure it out yourself via worksheet. So that puts the burden on me and you know there will be folks who don't figure it out and never get their money.

You know how that would fly in the corporate world? Customers would leave you in droves. For example, I had a large credit on my credit card due to airline travel refunds. I called them and said send me that money, rather than let it apply to my future purchases. They did exactly as I requested. I didn't have to do a thing except make the call. I'm sorry if my view offends you, I'm just calling it as I see it.
I get both my refunds and my stimulus checks via direct deposit. No idea what your problem is.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Because I compare government services to corporate services. Last Spring they put $2,400 in our account electronically, so they have all my bank info. But yet this time they send a $600 check (instead of direct deposit) and somehow overlook the other $600. It's like the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. So they throw a fix into the tax forms and tell you to figure it out yourself via worksheet. So that puts the burden on me and you know there will be folks who don't figure it out and never get their money.

You know how that would fly in the corporate world? Customers would leave you in droves. For example, I had a large credit on my credit card due to airline travel refunds. I called them and said send me that money, rather than let it apply to my future purchases. They did exactly as I requested. I didn't have to do a thing except make the call. I'm sorry if my view offends you, I'm just calling it as I see it.

I get that, but they "didn't throw a fix" into the tax forms. It was passed as a "tax credit" that'd be paid out in advance. It's not a fix, it was always intended to be on the tax return.

Burden? It's a pretty big burden to type a couple numbers into the tax software.

Not offended at all, your complaining is actually funny.

DollaDollaBill

Mar 2, 2010
CR
Posted this in another thread but my wife and I never received the 2nd stimulus so was planning on claiming it on my taxes. Turns out, if you didn’t receive it and want to claim on your taxes, the stimulus amount is based off your 2020 AGI even though when the 2nd stimulus was sent out, it was based on 2019 AGI. I cashed in some stock options last year that were expiring so made me ineligible. Not a huge deal but coulda used a “free” $2400.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Posted this in another thread but my wife and I never received the 2nd stimulus so was planning on claiming it on my taxes. Turns out, if you didn’t receive it and want to claim on your taxes, the stimulus amount is based off your 2020 AGI even though when the 2nd stimulus was sent out, it was based on 2019 AGI. I cashed in some stock options last year that were expiring so made me ineligible. Not a huge deal but coulda used a “free” $2400.

Username checks out

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha

I had noticed that as well. Didn't affect me, but I knew there would be people getting hosed by the refs changing the rules mid-game.

cyphoon

Sep 8, 2011
I've used TurboTax for the better part of a decade now. Every year I see the cost and think I'll do it myself. And every year I just say screw it and let the computer spit it out for me.

Have felt the same for years. This year, something has to change because they finally dropped Windows 7 support. Have no desire to install and run Windows 10 just for one overpriced app.

H
House of Linux

dafarmer

Mar 17, 2012
SW Iowa
Taxes done. Federal stimulus is not taxed, IRA is now $7000 each, and can depreciate up to $200,000 for business expense(right!). Have lawyer do mine because section f and new rules every year.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009

I feel like you haven't been in the behind the scenes for a major corporate software change to see just how much goes wrong. It's cute to think that the corporate side is that much better. They just typically touch fewer people directly with their **** ups.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Have felt the same for years. This year, something has to change because they finally dropped Windows 7 support. Have no desire to install and run Windows 10 just for one overpriced app.

H
House of Linux

What do you need the software for? Can your taxes not be done on the web based version?

Reactions: wxman1

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Completed with TurboTax on the 11th, showed as pending sometime last week and it looks like the funds got released today for Federal.

Help Support Us

Become a patron