Nebraska gives Scott Frost much deserved extension to only fire him.

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
Losing Robinson is somewhat balanced out by getting a grad transfer all-american WR from Montana. Unfortunately, the WR doesn’t get to bring his QB with him who allowed him to put up impressive numbers.

Haverhill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 4, 2009
Ames
www.twitter.com
Scott Frost has never felt like a good fit at UNL to me. Had Nebraska never left the Big 12 I'd say he was a great fit there, but his system is more fit for Texas Tech or Arizona than at a Big Ten West school.

• Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: Gorm and Lineup

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
Scott Frost has never felt like a good fit at UNL to me. Had Nebraska never left the Big 12 I'd say he was a great fit there, but his system is more fit for Texas Tech or Arizona than at a Big Ten West school.

He would fit in the Big 12 no better than the big 10. I guess this comes from the lazy national take of no defense. He would probably beat Kansas though.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

Haverhill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 4, 2009
Ames
www.twitter.com
He would fit in the Big 12 no better than the big 10. I guess this comes from the lazy national take of no defense. He would probably beat Kansas though.

I didn't imply "no defense" at all. The offenses are incredibly different between leagues though, even amidst the defensive renaissance we've seen in the league the last 4-5 years.

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
Scott Frost has 5 years as a head coach. His records for each year:
6-7 UCF
13-0 UCF
4-8 NU
5-7 NU
3-5 NU

So, as a Nebraska fan, at what point do you ask yourself if this is the guy that's going to bring back National Championship level football to NU? Being realistic, in 2021 they could go 6-6 and get a bowl bid. In 2022 they could be 7-5. I'm figuring they win the games their fans will think they should win. So, 5 years in, Frost has them at 7-5, that's with all his recruits and not losing to someone like Illinois (like 2020). (Actually he already is playing with his own recruits now because so many kids left the program in his first 3 years). How can that possibly be acceptable to NU fans and boosters?

• Winner
  • Agree
Reactions: JP4CY and Lineup

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
6-7 UCF
13-0 UCF
4-8 NU
5-7 NU
3-5 NU

So, as a Nebraska fan, at what point do you ask yourself if this is the guy that's going to bring back National Championship level football to NU? Being realistic, in 2021 they could go 6-6 and get a bowl bid. In 2022 they could be 7-5. I'm figuring they win the games their fans will think they should win. So, 5 years in, Frost has them at 7-5, that's with all his recruits and not losing to someone like Illinois (like 2020). (Actually he already is playing with his own recruits now because so many kids left the program in his first 3 years). How can that possibly be acceptable to NU fans and boosters?

I'm shocked he's gotten this much time already

• Agree
Reactions: Snydes

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

System doesn't matter.

Gotta have the athletes.

exCyDing

Nov 29, 2017
I don't buy the system/conference fit theory. There's no reason that a system like Frost's couldn't be effective at Nebraska or in the Big 10 West. It's not like it's a division full of world-beaters, it's been one of the weakest divisions in P5 during Frost's tenure.

That said, I think there are three main failings with Frost's tenure at Nebraska.

First, his offensive system is stagnant. Defenses will always catch up when an offense stops evolving.

Second, Frost hasn't altered his scheme for the players he has, he's still running it like he has the players he wants to have. It's like if CMC was still running the offense like we had Lazard and Butler lining up at wide receiver. The skillset of our 2017 team and the skillset of our 2020 were different, so the offensive scheme adjusted accordingly. I think the 2020 version is more of what CMC wants to do, but in 2017 CMC did what the team could do.

Third, there have been a ton of recruiting misses and transfers, which at the end of the day is mostly on Frost and his staff. They've had highly rated classes, but either their talent evaluation is off or their player development is lacking.

IceCyIce

Aug 17, 2009
Grimes
6-7 UCF
13-0 UCF
4-8 NU
5-7 NU
3-5 NU

This sounds like what were going through in BBall right now

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Its mind boggling he makes more than established guys like Gundy, Wittingham, Mendenhall, Mack Brown.

I mean, if you had to choose between Frost and Schiano, who are you taking?

If you're even having to contemplate it, that's how far Nebby has fallen. (I would take the second option)

cydsho

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Omaha, NE

Is this because Oklahoma is like:
EyPN.gif

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
If they play and I were to give you Nebraska +28 who do you take? LOL.

Boomer

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron