Woodworkers Thread

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Those of you that have air filtration systems, how dirty do you let the filter get before swapping them out? Do you take them out and blow them down? This is what the filter looks like after only about a couple hours of run time.

View attachment 80389
Is this some kind of humble brag? :jimlad:

I’m jealous

CycloneSarah

Aug 9, 2016
lol I think its do able right?! after looking at the price of teardrop campers ($13k)?!??!

why the f not!
http://www.tnttt.com has more than you could ever want to know about building teardrops! I really wanted a teardrop or small pop-up camper this summer but so did everyone else so we never pursued anything due to the prices. And I'm not about to try building one myself but definitely jealous of those who can!

Reactions: Dr.bannedman

jabisu

Aug 25, 2012
For those of you with dust collection systems, what do you do to clean the filter bag? I have a shop Fox with the plastic collection bag underneath a cloth filter bag on top. It doesn’t seem to have as much suction anymore and I assume it is just plugged up with fine dust. Anyone try running one through a washing machine before or just blow it out with an air compressor as long as you can and then just get a new bag when that stops working?

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
For those of you with dust collection systems, what do you do to clean the filter bag? I have a shop Fox with the plastic collection bag underneath a cloth filter bag on top. It doesn’t seem to have as much suction anymore and I assume it is just plugged up with fine dust. Anyone try running one through a washing machine before or just blow it out with an air compressor as long as you can and then just get a new bag when that stops working?

I don’t own one but I found this with a quick google search. I use a shop vac and just blow out the filter on a regular basis.

Reactions: mramseyISU

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Got the benches done finally for my table I’m doing mentioned earlier in the thread. The table top still pissing me off and I’ve taken a break from it for now.

B99A3040-63B2-4380-A988-6B1F3464C50D.jpeg FB95DF4C-82A6-4C27-94AB-8C0D7DC3B292.jpeg

Reactions: CloniesForLife

tolstoy

Aug 17, 2016
I need a new table saw. The one I have is an old craftsman portable saw from the 80s. I have to spend forever adjusting the rip fence because it will not secure in a square position relative the blade without a ton of help. The miter is super loose, The top is pretty rough so material dose not slide well, and the whole thing damn near tips over if I try to cut a piece without holding the saw in place with my foot or my spare hand.

im torn between a good portable saw like the Bosch 4100 or a small cabinet saw like the shop Fox W1847. I don’t have a ton of space, and I need to store it when not in use. I want a good solid rip fence that is accurate, a useable miter gauge, a secure base that won’t slide across my garage floor when in use, and a smooth durable table top.

Tolstoy

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I need a new table saw. The one I have is an old craftsman portable saw from the 80s. I have to spend forever adjusting the rip fence because it will not secure in a square position relative the blade without a ton of help. The miter is super loose, The top is pretty rough so material dose not slide well, and the whole thing damn near tips over if I try to cut a piece without holding the saw in place with my foot or my spare hand.

im torn between a good portable saw like the Bosch 4100 or a small cabinet saw like the shop Fox W1847. I don’t have a ton of space, and I need to store it when not in use. I want a good solid rip fence that is accurate, a useable miter gauge, a secure base that won’t slide across my garage floor when in use, and a smooth durable table top.

Tolstoy
I had the 4100 and it was amazing. Best gravity stand on the market.

tolstoy

Aug 17, 2016
This is my current project. This was a blank wall between The entryway and garage. I opened up the drywall on both sides exposing the 2x6 framing. I then built the main locker boxes using 1/8 hardboard for the sides and 3/4 plywood for back and sides. These then slid between the studs and sit atop 2x4 platforms I built between each stud. There is a framed and insulated 2x4 wall surrounding all sides on the garage side which are then dry walled with 5/8 fire rated drywall. I then framed/ trimmed out the hallway side with poplar and built the lower cabinet. I have a top ready to cut and stain for the bench. Then I need to make doors for the lockers and paint the works.

Attachments

• AA119B77-1BCF-43A5-B54D-841CE20ACA10.jpeg
    AA119B77-1BCF-43A5-B54D-841CE20ACA10.jpeg
    90 KB · Views: 60

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
This is my current project. This was a blank wall between The entryway and garage. I opened up the drywall on both sides exposing the 2x6 framing. I then built the main locker boxes using 1/8 hardboard for the sides and 3/4 plywood for back and sides. These then slid between the studs and sit atop 2x4 platforms I built between each stud. There is a framed and insulated 2x4 wall surrounding all sides on the garage side which are then dry walled with 5/8 fire rated drywall. I then framed/ trimmed out the hallway side with poplar and built the lower cabinet. I have a top ready to cut and stain for the bench. Then I need to make doors for the lockers and paint the works.
I've done projects like that but then bought the doors:
https://www.barkerdoor.com/

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
That’s awesome

jabisu

Aug 25, 2012
I don’t own one but I found this with a quick google search. I use a shop vac and just blow out the filter on a regular basis.

Thanks, that was just the type of information I was hoping for

CycloneBob

Aug 9, 2010
Ames

Very nice - good job!

CycloneSarah

Aug 9, 2016
Something like this is on my wish list for this year! In our garage entryway, there is a closet with about 3'x3' empty space in front of it which means all the shoes collect in that space and then the closet door cant be opened. We only keep a couple random things in that closet so I want to take out the door and build something like this instead. It will also free up the counter area that I'm using as a purse and lunchbox drop zone. Hopefully I'll be able to convince the other half to get started on it once football is over.

CycloneBob

Aug 9, 2010
Ames

Tolstoy

It sounds like your current situation is a bit more than safe. From my quick research, there's quite a bit of difference from the 2 options you're considering. Between the 2, if it fits the budget, the Shop Fox (or Grizzly) cabinet saw is by far the best choice although storage likely won't fit your plan. FYI, I have a SawStop which is likely about 50% more than the Shop Fox (or Grizzly). You might want to aim for this in the long term. Meanwhile, I'd keep an eye out for a good used contractor's saw, like a Delta or Jet. I recall used Delta contractors showing up for under $500, even less than $300.