Woodworkers Thread

kirk89gt

Feb 15, 2014
This is my current project. This was a blank wall between The entryway and garage. I opened up the drywall on both sides exposing the 2x6 framing. I then built the main locker boxes using 1/8 hardboard for the sides and 3/4 plywood for back and sides. These then slid between the studs and sit atop 2x4 platforms I built between each stud. There is a framed and insulated 2x4 wall surrounding all sides on the garage side which are then dry walled with 5/8 fire rated drywall. I then framed/ trimmed out the hallway side with poplar and built the lower cabinet. I have a top ready to cut and stain for the bench. Then I need to make doors for the lockers and paint the works.

Out of curiosity, how deep is the area where the coat hang?

BTW.......Nice Job!

tolstoy

Aug 17, 2016
The lockers are 12” deep. Luckily, this was framed as an exterior wall which on my house means 2x6 studs. I built another 2x6 structure behind the wall studs to give me the depth I wanted for the lockers. Then I built another 2x4 structure behind that simply as a place for insulation. The structure sticks out about 10inches into my garage, but I can still store stuff under it and on top of it.

Reactions: kirk89gt

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
I need a new table saw. The one I have is an old craftsman portable saw from the 80s. I have to spend forever adjusting the rip fence because it will not secure in a square position relative the blade without a ton of help. The miter is super loose, The top is pretty rough so material dose not slide well, and the whole thing damn near tips over if I try to cut a piece without holding the saw in place with my foot or my spare hand.

im torn between a good portable saw like the Bosch 4100 or a small cabinet saw like the shop Fox W1847. I don’t have a ton of space, and I need to store it when not in use. I want a good solid rip fence that is accurate, a useable miter gauge, a secure base that won’t slide across my garage floor when in use, and a smooth durable table top.

Tolstoy
Buy this one if you want a good table saw on a budget.

ag2010law

Feb 7, 2018
I have been removing the old wood floors in my parents farm house to be reused in my new house. They are tongue and grooved 3/4” thick, 2 1/2” wide boards. I sanded them some before removing and will have to really sand them after I reinstall them. Removing them is tedious but not bad. The worst part is getting the gunk that is fused to the board right above the tongue. If I don’t remove it there will be a gap between the boards. Anyone have any ideas on getting that stuff off? I’ve been just using a scraper but it is very slow.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I have been removing the old wood floors in my parents farm house to be reused in my new house. They are tongue and grooved 3/4” thick, 2 1/2” wide boards. I sanded them some before removing and will have to really sand them after I reinstall them. Removing them is tedious but not bad. The worst part is getting the gunk that is fused to the board right above the tongue. If I don’t remove it there will be a gap between the boards. Anyone have any ideas on getting that stuff off? I’ve been just using a scraper but it is very slow.

Try a small grinder bit you can put in a drill.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN

Maybe look for a hand plane that fits the notch you’re trying to clean. Depending on what that gunk is, it might beat up the blade too much. Or maybe you could make a small jig with a razor blade?

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Anyone know what to look for in wood filler? Gonna be finishing my table top today and I know there’s gonna be some small gaps between the boards I might need to fill. I’m thinking I need something that’s sandable and definitely stainable.

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008
Dremel multi-tool?

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Anyone know what to look for in wood filler? Gonna be finishing my table top today and I know there’s gonna be some small gaps between the boards I might need to fill. I’m thinking I need something that’s sandable and definitely stainable.

This is the stuff I use. You can get it in a bunch of different tones. That being said, it says stainable but I’m not sure how stainable it really is. I only use it when I’m painting.

Reactions: JM4CY

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN

I would do a little research on this application. Without looking it up, my intuition would give me pause to put wood filler between boards. Those boards are going to expand and contract on their own. They will do that at a different magnitude than the filler material, I would guess. So you still may end up with cracks after a few years. Depending on the type and function of table you made, small gaps between the boards wouldn’t be a big deal, in my mind.

Also, matching the stain on the boards and the filler together is going to be tough. You might get it close enough that it doesn’t matter, but you could also end up with a striped table.

Reactions: JM4CY

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I would do a little research on this application. Without looking it up, my intuition would give me pause to put wood filler between boards. Those boards are going to expand and contract on their own. They will do that at a different magnitude than the filler material, I would guess. So you still may end up with cracks after a few years. Depending on the type and function of table you made, small gaps between the boards wouldn’t be a big deal, in my mind.

Also, matching the stain on the boards and the filler together is going to be tough. You might get it close enough that it doesn’t matter, but you could also end up with a striped table.
After farting around with it for a couple hours and what I’ve researched online, I’ve kind of come to this same conclusion. I’m gonna try and just sand down the “high” spots and make it get as close as I can to flush and then leave it. My belt sander crapped out on me though so I’m headed to buy another one.

Reactions: throwittoblythe

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
Try a heat gun and a pull type scraper. A lot of that old glue is a hide glue and gets soft when you heat it up.

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
what’s the best way to get a good baseboard miter-cut? I have a decent hand saw and a miter box (which is too short for our 4-5/8” baseboard). First time was a failure as I could get it to line up well without sanding and cutting more out until I had took too much off and the other end was too short.
Is the solution just a good compound miter saw?

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
what’s the best way to get a good baseboard miter-cut? I have a decent hand saw and a miter box (which is too short for our 4-5/8” baseboard). First time was a failure as I could get it to line up well without sanding and cutting more out until I had took too much off and the other end was too short.

A good miter saw goes a long way doing trim. You don’t need an expensive one, just one where the fence is trued up. If you’re looking to buy one, what’s your price point? You could probably get by with 100 dollar Metabo if you don’t use it much.

Is it painted? Caulking can cover up a lot doing painted trim and comes out looking just fine.

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
A good miter saw goes a long way doing trim. You don’t need an expensive one, just one where the fence is trued up. If you’re looking to buy one, what’s your price point? You could probably get by with 100 dollar Metabo if you don’t use it much.

Is it painted? Caulking can cover up a lot doing painted trim and comes out looking just fine.

I will be painting it. I’ve caulked a couple pieces so far but my outside corner piece is pitiful. I have more to do so am thinking of getting a compound miter saw to make things easier. Price point isn’t an issue. I dont want to drop a grand on one but don’t want a cheap one that gives me crappy cuts either.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
I will be painting it. I’ve caulked a couple pieces so far but my outside corner piece is pitiful. I have more to do so am thinking of getting a compound miter saw to make things easier. Price point isn’t an issue. I dont want to drop a grand on one but don’t want a cheap one that gives me crappy cuts either.

If that’s the case, this one would do really well but Bosch, Makita, Metabo and Rigid make some good saws too at certain price points. Don’t get a slider if you don’t think you’ll need it. They’re a lot more of a pain to store and they’re heavy (plus more money).

Reactions: clone4life82

CycloneBob

Aug 9, 2010
Ames
Keep an eye on Craigslist. Recently, there was a DeWalt non slider for I think $150. I've seen them several times for $250. I have the DeWalt non slider and really like it and would suggest that as a brand option.

Reactions: clone4life82

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012

Inside or outside corners? I am a firm believer in coping the inside corners, especially in an old house (easier than figuring out the angles. I also would recommend a compound miter saw. Saves so much time, and if its something you will use for any type of project in the future it is well worth the investment.

Outside corners are a little more annoying, if its not a true 90 you need to do a little trial and error, and every corner will be different.

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
Inside or outside corners? I am a firm believer in coping the inside corners, especially in an old house (easier than figuring out the angles. I also would recommend a compound miter saw. Saves so much time, and if its something you will use for any type of project in the future it is well worth the investment.

Outside corners are a little more annoying, if its not a true 90 you need to do a little trial and error, and every corner will be different.

outside is the one giving me fits. I have more inside to do though and I’m planning on coping those also.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron