Iowa Basketball's Super Bowl

GoHawks

Jul 12, 2009
Have a feeling Foster would get a lot of quick fouls if they put him on Garza.
He could afford them even if he started he wouldn't play a ton of minutes then you have conditt as well who i was more referencing. Both conditt and fostee have length and athleticism over solo which is a tougher matchup for Garza imo

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
We know what hawkeyes do in their super toilet bowl.

tenor.gif

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Have a feeling Foster would get a lot of quick fouls if they put him on Garza.
Yeah I think we'll see it a little bit, as long as Foster is healthy, but to this point he has only played about 15 min at the collegiate level, and hasn't gone up against anybody half as skilled as Garza. Foster might work effectively if he can use his length to disrupt Garza along with being doubled by someone like Johnson who has some length and athleticism. Might serve to 'annoy' Garza some. But then there's someone wide open behind the arc. Props to Iowa for figuring out a way to beat UNC even with Garza being somewhat neutralized. Not sure how good UNC is, they were awful last year, but the talent is always there.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
He could afford them even if he started he wouldn't play a ton of minutes then you have conditt as well who i was more referencing. Both conditt and fostee have length and athleticism over solo which is a tougher matchup for Garza imo

Solo is a beast if someone wants to go strong. Being quick and mobile is tough on Solo. Try to post him up and power move and you will feel like you are trying to back down a large maple tree down the lane.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007

I didn't see the UNC game.....did they have anyone physical like Solo or did they have a bunch of guys built like Conditt and Foster?

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
I didn't see the UNC game.....did they have anyone physical like Solo or did they have a bunch of guys built like Conditt and Foster?

They had three guys that were very physical like Luka, but athletic like Foster and Conditt. They were really good and gave Luka all he could handle.

Gitwitit

Dec 31, 2008
Solo is a beast if someone wants to go strong. Being quick and mobile is tough on Solo. Try to post him up and power move and you will feel like you are trying to back down a large maple tree down the lane.
Wasn't solo guarding Garza the majority of the game last year?

GoHawks

Jul 12, 2009
Can
I say all the above? They had 6 11 guys that were thick as trees. They rotated them well and all played with tremendous effort like Garza always does. He really struggled and tried to bully them too often.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
Can

I say all the above? They had 6 11 guys that were thick as trees. They rotated them well and all played with tremendous effort like Garza always does. He really struggled and tried to bully them too often.
Sounds like Solo gets the nod. Play zone....double on Garza and stick to JB like gum and make the rest win it. Doubt it works but sounds like the percentage move at this point. The only way it's close is if Iowa clanks the outside game. If that happens and ISU can hit their shots at a reasonable clip it will be competitive. The one wild card IMO is Tyler Harris. He is exactly the type of guard Iowa struggles with. Interested to see how CSP uses him. Also.....wasn't it Jalen Coleman-Lands that had a very good game in Iowa City last year about this time with Depaul?

• Agree
Reactions: GoHawks

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Garza seems to use his arms and elbows to "hook" defenders when he gets the ball in the post to go around them. Hopefully Prohm can work the refs enough for them to see this, to try and get some fouls on him early . If he starts the game this way and doesn't get called for it, it is game over and he will eat us for lunch the rest of the game.

I think they will feed him down low a lot tonight!!

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Sounds like Solo gets the nod. Play zone....double on Garza and stick to JB like gum and make the rest win it. Doubt it works but sounds like the percentage move at this point. The only way it's close is if Iowa clanks the outside game. If that happens and ISU can hit their shots at a reasonable clip it will be competitive. The one wild card IMO is Tyler Harris. He is exactly the type of guard Iowa struggles with. Interested to see how CSP uses him. Also.....wasn't it Jalen Coleman-Lands that had a very good game in Iowa City last year about this time with Depaul?
Need to stick to Frederick over Bohannon. Of course Bohannon won't miss tonight but he hasn't been a good shooter the last couple of years

• Dumb
Reactions: Rebel

Rebel

Nov 23, 2020

JCL has played well against Iowa at both of his former schools.

5 career games

13.8 PPG, 20/41 on 3 point attempts in those 5 games.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Press Little Fran and JoBo, frustrate them and slow down the game. I know people say to speed it up, but I say slow it down. Make it so, Garza is working hard on both ends and having to move a lot on defense. It will also hold down the fouls. The little I've seen of Iowa the last few years is JoBo takes a lot of possessions on D off. They let them drive and he is pretty set on offense for the most part. Move them around on D and force them to tire out. Fran will then go 14 deep on the bench and get his screwy combos in there. Not saying we will win, but what I feel you need to do to have the opportunity.