New Coordinators?

Clonegrad07

Jul 22, 2008
North Carolina
I know there is a thread about the restructuring already, but I was hoping to get a new thread started about possible replacements for both the coordinator jobs? Will they be Auburn or Texas guys? Young and exciting, or old and proven? What are all of the experts thoughts... (because of course everyone on this site is as close as we have to an expert...)

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
I am hoping for young and exciting. I know major applewhite's name has been thrown around, being around the UT staff for the past couple years probably gives him enough experience.

tamjam

Apr 18, 2008
Pants-free Avenue
I hope we go with people that are young, energetic and have some crazy new ideas. Also, I don't think that the team ever respected Bolt OR MacFarland because of the physical shape they were in.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
A winning background would be crucial right now in establishing that winning culture, and teaching these young players how to expect to win, and to put themselves in position to win. Additionally, the credibility that such a winning background brings in sales and especially recruiting has to be a huge factor in building our program.

Major Applewhite sounds good to me. All he ever did at Texas was win, no matter how many times they tried to convince themselves that Chris Simms was the answer at QB. He won as a player, he wins as a coach. He might be a really good fit.

Reactions: kingcy

Clone96

Nov 14, 2006
Parts Unknown
I think Applewhite would be intriguing, but a lot of this depends with Mack Brown would give him his blessing and encourage him to go. But here's some ideas:

Gus Malzahn, Tulsa Co-Offensive Coordinator, Quarterbacks Coach- Malzahn was the OC at Arkansas in 2006 when they won the SEC west and he coached up Darren McFadden and Felix Jones.

Josh Heupl, Oklahoma QB Coach- A lot of people think Heupl is the next great OU assistant to make the leap. This would be a stretch, but he could be both OC and QB coach. And for what this is worth, he's from South Dakota originally , so this would be closer to his family (theoretically)

For DC, a lot of people have thrown out Greg Robinson. Again the UT connection, but he was only there one year. A lot of that depends on does he want to stay in college or go back to the pros. Some other ideas:

John Chavis, former Tennessee DC- With all the problems this year in Tennessee, the Vols still finished number 4 in total defense. Now, we don't need to be that good....:wink: But since, Monte Kiffin is going to work with his son, he's available

Vic Koenning, Clemson DC- Again, through all the problems the Tigers had this year, they still finished 15 in total defense. And Koenning played his college ball at K-State

cyentist

Oct 11, 2008
West Des Moines, IA
A winning background would be crucial right now in establishing that winning culture, and teaching these young players how to expect to win

I totally agree. One person who jumped out to me would be Andy Ludwig (OC at Utah) was the old OC at Oregon. Obviously he has done well at his last two positions. I checked the public records and at Utah this year his salary was 200K, McFarland was 275K. Thats a pretty big pay raise to be able to coach in one of the two best conferences in the nation. I think ISU may have luck looking at non-BCS schools that are, imo, better than a lot of BCS schools.

Reactions: CycloneErik

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
How about Chuck Long. He was good at OU. Has head coaching experience. Knows our state. It would make Hawk fans furious.

On the Defensive side I would like a guy that is around 50 years old and can coach a good aggressive defense.

CyTom

Mar 30, 2006
Des Moines
Whomever is mentioning Greg Robinson must have never watched the Chiefs defenses when he coached there. That guy can stay as far away as possible as far as I'm concerned.

isuforlife

Sep 6, 2007
We need high engery coaches to get this program moving, I think GC will get the best, he is respected in the coaches circle for sure!!

jtdoyle1

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
How about Chuck Long. He was good at OU. Has head coaching experience. Knows our state. It would make Hawk fans furious.

On the Defensive side I would like a guy that is around 50 years old and can coach a good aggressive defense.

I see Long going to K State under Snyder.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Please Please Please get Major Applewhite... He knows he won't be a head coach at Texas so maybe he would look into making a move...

You just have to think that a job that has coordinators from Texas jumping at it (if that's what happens, and I hope it is!) has to end up with a lot of interest and credibility. That's not like taking from the minor leagues. That would mean that we're getting guys who have experience winning at the highest level. Applewhite would be a monster hire, my gut tells me.

Reactions: isuforlife

Bubbahotep

Jul 23, 2008
Des Moines
Mac Brown talked up Iowa State to Chizik, I doubt he would say anything bad to Applewhite, but I'm sure he could pony up the dough to keep him.

CyGuy33

May 7, 2008
West Des Moines, IA
I totally agree. One person who jumped out to me would be Andy Ludwig (OC at Utah) was the old OC at Oregon. Obviously he has done well at his last two positions. I checked the public records and at Utah this year his salary was 200K, McFarland was 275K. Thats a pretty big pay raise to be able to coach in one of the two best conferences in the nation. I think ISU may have luck looking at non-BCS schools that are, imo, better than a lot of BCS schools.

I agree, I don't see coaches from OU or Texas heading to Iowa State to be coordinators at this point. Why would an assistant at OU jump ship to Iowa State? If they wait it out for the guy in front of them to take a HC job somewhere, they will move up to the OC and then take the reins of a national powerhouse and be the new "up and comer". I think the Non-BCS route is where we will head.

Does anyone think these positions will be filled prior to the finish of the college football bowl season? I would find it hard to believe someone will leave OU or Texas prior to their bowl game. I would think they would wait to see where the other coaches went and what opportunities there was to advance in their current situation.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
On the defensive side of the ball I hope we get someone that is proven. We already gambled and took too many risks trying to go for the big play instead of the more practical approach on defense and it led to having one of the worst defenses I have seen in recent memory at ISU. On offense I wouldn't mind someone young and exciting. The offense put up a lot of yards at times even in the losses so I don't think we have nearly as many issues there as we do on defense.

ISU4ME

Aug 26, 2007
DC - Whoever has been the lead recruiter of 5 star safeties and 5 star defensive tackles that absolutley want to play for them no matter where they are coaching next year. :wink:

Let's pull a KU but on the football side.

cyentist

Oct 11, 2008
West Des Moines, IA
Thought it was interesting but the cyclones.com website has already been updated as to McFarland's and Bolt's positions and Peterson and Raney are no longer up on the website.