OT: The Haunting of Bly Manor

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
Anyone watching this or finished it? We flew through it in two days. I think it's getting a bad rap with a bunch of people comparing it to Haunting of Hill House. It is NOT as scary...at all. There are several jumps and very creepy things no question. But this is a slow, methodical, yet in my opinion more riveting story than Hill House. It just depends on what you're expecting. Don't go in thinking it's scary and horror. It's a different kind of 'haunting'. And it's incredibly sad. It definitely plods along in places...almost every episode could honestly be cut by 15 minutes, maybe more.

If you're looking for scares...Hill House is better no question.

If you're looking for a better overall story? I think Bly Manor has the better overall story.

You can't go wrong with either...as long as you know heading in to Bly Manor that it's not nearly as scary. I will say Bly Manor is best in the final five episodes. Get to episode 5. It's worth it.

Reactions: cstrunk

Arkansas Cyclone

Nov 25, 2006
Bentonville, Arkansas
Anyone watching this or finished it? We flew through it in two days. I think it's getting a bad rap with a bunch of people comparing it to Haunting of Hill House. It is NOT as scary...at all. There are several jumps and very creepy things no question. But this is a slow, methodical, yet in my opinion more riveting story than Hill House. It just depends on what you're expecting. Don't go in thinking it's scary and horror. It's a different kind of 'haunting'. And it's incredibly sad. It definitely plods along in places...almost every episode could honestly be cut by 15 minutes, maybe more.

If you're looking for scares...Hill House is better no question.

If you're looking for a better overall story? I think Bly Manor has the better overall story.

You can't go wrong with either...as long as you know heading in to Bly Manor that it's not nearly as scary. I will say Bly Manor is best in the final five episodes. Get to episode 5. It's worth it.

Thanks for the input! You pretty much confirmed what I had started to think as well as I got about 2 1/2 episodes in so I'm glad to get your input. The daughter had told me it was kinda "scary" and I kept waiting for a sign of that but it really never came.

It definitely has an interesting aspect to it but for some reason I just wasn't getting pulled in and wanting to see more so I pretty much bailed after episode 3. I'm hoping eventually my interest picks up and I start watching it again. It definitely is very well done. I just have a tendency to be a little slower sometimes when it comes to getting interested in some things like that.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Haven’t started it yet because I haven’t been in a “spooky” mood lately, but sounds like that doesn’t need to be the case? I loved Hill House, but didn’t think it was scary at all. Definitely want to watch this still, I think I’ve just got to get myself in the mood for it.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Hill House was a good spooky story.

Bly was a drama/mystery with spooky elements.

both well done, but still liked Hill better

Sighclone Fan

Jan 19, 2008
Just finished Bly Manor. I thought it was beautifully shot and included some really great performances. The story wrapped up well, but was so tangled throughout that I found it exhausting to keep up at times.

Was the Bly Manor house the same house as Hill House? The main foyer looked the same with the two stairwells, I thought that was pretty neat.

Reactions: dahliaclone

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
Just finished Bly Manor. I thought it was beautifully shot and included some really great performances. The story wrapped up well, but was so tangled throughout that I found it exhausting to keep up at times.

Was the Bly Manor house the same house as Hill House? The main foyer looked the same with the two stairwells, I thought that was pretty neat.

The actress who played Hannah was incredible. And for as much as they were in it, the two kids did pretty darn well too. I think the 'exhausting' comment is valid. I felt that way too but think it was kind of on purpose. You start being confused like all the characters are with are they 'tucked away'.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I gotta be honest I have no idea what is going on in this show and am 7 episodes in

CycloneWarrior

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 10, 2008
Urbandale,Ia
Since Peter never had a chance to empty his boss’ bank account, who stole the money? Or did I miss something?

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
It was a good show. Definitely worth the watch but I liked Hill House better.