*** Official Louisiana VS #23 IOWA STATE Game(Day) Thread ***

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
I know some will say things like "we should be able to beat any group of 5 team," but given that (for whatever reason) Campbell coaches in such a way that leads to REALLY slow starts and not opening up the playbook, I don't think we will ever be able to count on beating down our 1st game opponent as long as CMC is in charge.

If this is the case, then we need to be scheduling the fluffiest possible opponent week 1 each season. I'm watching Texas Tech right now, I think they got it right -- scheduled Houston Baptist: an FCS team that has only existed for 6 or 7 years, and only won 5 games last season. THAT is the kind of team we need to be playing! Sure, it's kind of embarrassing to say that, but I think staff needs to come to grips with that under the current regime.

Normally, you can say things like "When we scheduled them they weren't good" (and later they are) but there is no excuse this season. Louisiana was a known 11 win season and projected to contend for their conference when they were scheduled a couple months ago.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
hones I didn’t think the score was reflective of the game, Cajuns should have won by a lot more
No. Their offense was almost completely stone walled. They scored on one big broken play and scored again in garbage time when we had given up. It was pathetic and I hate defending it, but the final score should've been 24-14 or even 21-14

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Are we still throwing fits around here?!? ;)

A few thoughts:

1. No one should EVER think we we will win an opening game under Campbell. I'm not sure why the CF staff bothers predicting it. 5 years tells us that while we may win, we will not look good. In Campbell's first year, we looked like ******* hot garbage against UNI. It wasn't even that we lost, our players didn't look like they knew how to play and the coaches sure as hell didn't look like they knew how to coach. I remember so many penalties, botched time outs. It was awful. I am not sure exactly on years 2 and 3, but one of those was the rainout game and we looked like garbage against Iowa the following week. Year 4 we should have lost to UNI and today we were a ******* nightmare. It's just something that happens.

2. As bad as we looked today, I have confidence that we will get a lot better. First because it will be hard to be worse. Second Campbell's teams always get a lot better. As bad as we consistently look in first games, we get better as the season goes on.

3. Listening to the pregame, you could tell Bruns was worried with how good and serious LA looked when coming out to warm up.

4. I don't get Tom Manning. I'm not sure why we try to play ball control football all of the time.

Jammin’

Jul 18, 2009
Ames-Mia-Atx
Trying to find some sort of bright spot from this game before our next blow out loss to TCU... are there any?

A lot of fixable stuff and first game super rustic offense. Who knows, it could be what the season looks like, but the positives are the team has two weeks to get stuff right.

Really liked some new guys out there. The DB Kyle looked good.

Im really looking forward to TCU.

Darius Bieber

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 22, 2017
San Antonio, TX
A lot of fixable stuff and first game super rustic offense. Who knows, it could be what the season looks like, but the positives are the team has two weeks to get stuff right.

Really liked some new guys out there. The DB Kyle looked good.

Im really looking forward to TCU.

I'm really worried about our receiving core. Feels like we have no one good at all. Worried about our O-Line for sure. And if we struggled against Louisiana's D... it'll be even uglier against TCU's D.

Last edited:

Inthesystem

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 12, 2009
Are we still throwing fits around here?!? ;)

A few thoughts:

1. No one should EVER think we we will win an opening game under Campbell. I'm not sure why the CF staff bothers predicting it. 5 years tells us that while we may win, we will not look good. In Campbell's first year, we looked like ******* hot garbage against UNI. It wasn't even that we lost, our players didn't look like they knew how to play and the coaches sure as hell didn't look like they knew how to coach. I remember so many penalties, botched time outs. It was awful. I am not sure exactly on years 2 and 3, but one of those was the rainout game and we looked like garbage against Iowa the following week. Year 4 we should have lost to UNI and today we were a ******* nightmare. It's just something that happens.

2. As bad as we looked today, I have confidence that we will get a lot better. First because it will be hard to be worse. Second Campbell's teams always get a lot better. As bad as we consistently look in first games, we get better as the season goes on.

3. Listening to the pregame, you could tell Bruns was worried with how good and serious LA looked when coming out to warm up.

4. I don't get Tom Manning. I'm not sure why we try to play ball control football all of the time.
We play ball control because that’s the way CMC likes it.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
KU coming out with some energy at least.

I've seen one team all day that didn't look like they were excited to be out there.

• Informative
Reactions: CyBobby

iowastatefan1929

Oct 26, 2006
ball control offense can be amazingly beautiful and hard to stop if done right, but you still need a darn good 3rd down receiver or 2 to do it. ksu when they had klein is a great example, but he ran it all the time, our passing game stinks right now though so it wont work, when we can start hitting 5-7 yard passes whenever then we can start hitting the top.

Cloneman89

Sep 28, 2014
Been watching real FB teams today and it is amazing how bad we really are. Outcoached and outplayed all over the field. We are not a P5 team in any sense. Sad but we are stuck with this huckster for years. Oline blew chunks after Downing goes down- WR’s are slow and cannot catch. TE’s were awful. Hall was only O player who showed heart. Purdy is a hot mess and believes his press reports. Not even ready and throws were weak. This is Paul R territory once again. Get ready for major disappointment for next 3-4 years.

atlantacyclone

Sep 29, 2007
Fontvieille Monaco
I know some will say things like "we should be able to beat any group of 5 team," but given that (for whatever reason) Campbell coaches in such a way that leads to REALLY slow starts and not opening up the playbook, I don't think we will ever be able to count on beating down our 1st game opponent as long as CMC is in charge.

If this is the case, then we need to be scheduling the fluffiest possible opponent week 1 each season. I'm watching Texas Tech right now, I think they got it right -- scheduled Houston Baptist: an FCS team that has only existed for 6 or 7 years, and only won 5 games last season. THAT is the kind of team we need to be playing! Sure, it's kind of embarrassing to say that, but I think staff needs to come to grips with that under the current regime.

Normally, you can say things like "When we scheduled them they weren't good" (and later they are) but there is no excuse this season. Louisiana was a known 11 win season and projected to contend for their conference when they were scheduled a couple months ago.

Did we check to see if Boone was available?

hoosman

Sep 4, 2006
Davenport
DL was pretty good. No one else. DBs missed tackles, got burned. OL fell apart after the injury. ST was horrible like always. Gotta say I prefer not automatically fair catching every punt, but our returner dances back and forth and is ineffective. LBs were out of position and missed tackles. RB fumbled. WR/TE dropped passes. Purdy was inaccurate and made poor decisions. He had open checkdown RBs, but he was locked onto the least open receiver. He also had an open field for keepers that he only tried about twice. We see this every opening game, every season. Campbell thinks he has all the answers, which makes him inflexible, and he is comitted to his buddy system; so nothing will change. We will never beat Iowa as long as he is in charge. He is a good recruiter and wont lose his job by saying or doing anything unprofessional, but if he can't admit that he was wrong, then I am not sure what we have going forward.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
A few years ago we played ball-control. Last year and today....I have no idea what we are trying to do. It’s a random selection of odd plays, there’s no rhythm or meaning behind any of it, and it’s hard to watch.

Manning doesn’t know how to call a game.
It’s like each down you throw about 8 basic plays into a hat and draw one. There is no flow and nothing is setting another play up.

Reactions: motorcy90

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron