Best and Worst Fans

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
What schools? I get PSU because Pedos, and probably Wisconsin because they have awful fans so they receive similar treatment as we get up there.
Off the top of my head: Minnesota, Michigan State, Northwestern, Wisky. I know there have been others but I can't dredge them up at the moment so I won't list them unless I can remember who specifically said what.

Facilities people I know who have hosted big 10 and national wrestling tournaments have often singled out iowa fans as the most belligerent and nasty. And that comes from big 10 and other venues alike.

cysmiley

Jun 30, 2012
Went to the Texas game and Dfw tailgate in 2018. Great time, left the tailgate early as wife is retired University vocal music professor, and she wanted to Texas music building, walked over, caught some peoplle walking in Texas marching band gear, asked for directions. Took us to the building, arranged a tour, a buudy of theirs parents were tailgating, told us how to get there, a little more tailgate. Sat next to Texas fans whole game, dicussed good plays and bad, but no insults. (maybe if we had won it might have triggered LOL) but fun game, good Texas hospitality.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Went to the Texas game and Dfw tailgate in 2018. Great time, left the tailgate early as wife is retired University vocal music professor, and she wanted to Texas music building, walked over, caught some peoplle walking in Texas marching band gear, asked for directions. Took us to the building, arranged a tour, a buudy of theirs parents were tailgating, told us how to get there, a little more tailgate. Sat next to Texas fans whole game, dicussed good plays and bad, but no insults. (maybe if we had won it might have triggered LOL) but fun game, good Texas hospitality.

I was in Austin when we beat them, and they were almost all cool (I remember one douche as we left the stadium, but that was it). For a blue blood, they are very laid back and fun. The Texas fans who come up to Ames are generally solid too. There's always a bunch of them at the Tip Top who claim it's the best bar in the conference.

I won't argue.

Reactions: WalkingCY

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I'm done with my crazy commute now but the previous 5 years I had 2-3 hours a day commuting and listened to a TON of Big 12 radio basketball and got to know all of the play by play guys.

The worst play by play guys in the Big 12 are far and away Texas Tech. They make Pete Taylor and Walters seem like objective scientists. The only Big 12 broadcasts I just couldn't listen to.

KU's announcer I actually like because he has a funny cheesy voice like if you hold your nose shut and pretend to be a cornball sports broadcaster. On long drives I'd do my impression of him back to him because it's so hilariously cheesy.

Reactions: heitclone

CyHawk1605

Jun 22, 2020
Off the top of my head: Minnesota, Michigan State, Northwestern, Wisky. I know there have been others but I can't dredge them up at the moment so I won't list them unless I can remember who specifically said what.

Facilities people I know who have hosted big 10 and national wrestling tournaments have often singled out iowa fans as the most belligerent and nasty. And that comes from big 10 and other venues alike.
Minnesota fans should have no room to talk. Iowa fans go up there and are yelled at constantly and are treated poorly. They also do their stupid who hates Iowa chant always at players and fans. Iowa wrestling fans are ass hats yes. I won’t even deny that because it’s true. I’ve never even seen a Northwestern fan so idk about that statement.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
If you were watching a game and your team was playing the worst they did all season, We had already been pissed at the band (my family is involved with farming and agriculture so yeah it pissed me off), and had a douche ISU fan to deal with, then yeah I was going to probably say things I normally wouldn’t.
Meh. Your players should have done what the Cal Berkeley players did to the Stanford band.

• Agree
Reactions: jmb and WooBadger18

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
I went to Norman in 2017 (greatest game of my life) and 2019, and both times I was impressed with how polite the Oklahoma fans were to me.

In 2017, they were overly nice before the game because they felt sorry for me. They knew we had to go with our third string quarterback and we were already a 30+ point underdog. Because they were so nice nice to me before and during the game, I made sure I was nice after the game, although I have to admit it was priceless seeing their stunned and dazed expressions as they sat motionless well after the game ended.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Minnesota fans should have no room to talk. Iowa fans go up there and are yelled at constantly and are treated poorly. They also do their stupid who hates Iowa chant always at players and fans. Iowa wrestling fans are ass hats yes. I won’t even deny that because it’s true. I’ve never even seen a Northwestern fan so idk about that statement.

I don't doubt Minnesota has yokels...but didn't Iowa fans tear down the goalposts @Minn and put on a sex show in the bathrooms?

I'd hate to be a lawyer defending that case.

I lived in Chicago, had several Evanston friends and coworkers for many years. The only Northwestern fan I ever met in 15 years was an Iowa State grad who just adopted them because he lives 10 blocks from the football stadium and likes going to NCAA wrestling events.

• Winner
Reactions: CYdTracked

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
I don't doubt Minnesota has yokels...but didn't Iowa fans tear down the goalposts @Minn and put on a sex show in the bathrooms?

I lived in Chicago, had several Evanston friends and coworkers for many years. The only Northwestern fan I ever met in 15 years was an Iowa State grad who just adopted them because he lives 10 blocks from the football stadium and likes going to NCAA wrestling events.
I’m currently dating a northwestern grad and I’m a bigger northwestern fan than she is. Granted, I have a habit of adopting teams that my SOs or their families cheer for

@WooBadger18 - I was actually AT that game. We got company tickets.
Really? That’s awesome! What was it like being there in person?

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
It seems like you have problems everywhere. The one common thing is you.

CyHawk1605

Jun 22, 2020

But what did that do to fans? Yeah that was stupid but it’s not like they went out of their to be asses to Minny fans.

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
But what did that do to fans? Yeah that was stupid but it’s not like they went out of their to be asses to Minny fans.
Tearing down the goalposts at an opponents stadium is kind of a **** move. It’s obviously not the worst thing you can do, but not a super classy move.

And I think the bathroom one is less what it does to opposing fans (though it may make them feel disgusted) and it more just feeds into “Iowa fans being trashy”

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

CyHawk1605

Jun 22, 2020
Tearing down the goalposts at an opponents stadium is kind of a **** move. It’s obviously not the worst thing you can do, but not a super classy move.

And I think the bathroom one is less what it does to opposing fans (though it may make them feel disgusted) and it more just feeds into “Iowa fans being trashy”
Meh. It was practically a home game and most people were wearing Vikings gear anyway. Not a huge deal. And wouldn’t have happened unless the Metrodome staff put the feedback over the speaker system.

• Dumb
Reactions: VeloClone

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
As a badger, I want to stand up for Minnesota fans for a second. A friend and I went to the Wisconsin - Minnesota game last year, were both wearing Wisconsin gear, and were in the Dickeyville area (I think that’s what it’s called, it’s the place with all the bars), and minnesota fans couldn’t have been nicer.

it’s just one story and super dependent on who you interact with and everything, but I wanted to throw that out there

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I’m currently dating a northwestern grad and I’m a bigger northwestern fan than she is. Granted, I have a habit of adopting teams that my SOs or their families cheer for

Really? That’s awesome! What was it like being there in person?
Basically, we couldn't figure out what the hell was going on!