Big XII ADs Split on Schedule - Presidents Voting on Monday

NewClone09

Jan 7, 2009
Ames, IA
Guys, just face it. It’s not happening. And if it does it won’t resemble anything close to a “season” or it will get shut down anyway. Not that I know anything you all don’t, it just seems pretty obvious without a bubble scenario. The athletes will be attending class with the other however many thousand students who give no f***s and will be out partying, I don’t see how it doesn’t decimate rosters. Go ahead and give me the red X if you wish.

EDIT: I didn’t want to double down on my negativity as I would love nothing more than to have college athletics this season but I just saw my third ISU athlete in an enclosed public place with no mask.

Last edited:

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
My guess is the B12 presidents will follow the SEC model with an "add one" to get to ten games. Whether they are played or not is a different question. I've said all along the best option may end up being next Spring after a vaccine is implemented.

I also believe a wedge is building between the Power 5 and the NCAA. And that this c'virus may be the catalyst that brings it all to a head.

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
Guys, just face it. It’s not happening. And if it does it won’t resemble anything close to a “season” or it will get shut down anyway. Not that I know anything you all don’t, it just seems pretty obvious without a bubble scenario. The athletes will be attending class with the other however many thousand students who give no f***s and will be out partying, I don’t see how it doesn’t decimate rosters. Go ahead and give me the red X if you wish.
This...going to be hard when schools start getting cases in the general student population.

psychlone99

Apr 6, 2006
psychlone99.wordpress.com
You might be right, but I'm getting damn tired of reading posts like this in every college football thread. If you're so convinced it's not gonna happen, why do you give two ***** about any discussion on the topic? As if all the crap we've had to collectively endure for 5 months isn't enough, we have to tolerate these types of posts looking to kill all hope and conversation. Give it a rest.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
You might be right, but I'm getting damn tired of reading posts like this in every college football thread. If you're so convinced it's not gonna happen, why do you give two ***** about any discussion on the topic? As if all the crap we've had to collectively endure for 5 months isn't enough, we have to tolerate these types of posts looking to kill all hope and conversation. Give it a rest.

When you can't stand reality, demand that posts be free of all negativity.

Reminds me of the McDoormat era.

psychlone99

Apr 6, 2006
psychlone99.wordpress.com
When you can't stand reality, demand that posts be free of all negativity.

Reminds me of the McDoormat era.
Not what I'm suggesting at all. I just don't understand the mentality. If you're so convinced what the future will hold, why waste so much time arguing with people over it? Let there rest of us who believe there are are very few certainties in all this have a conversation.

NewClone09

Jan 7, 2009
Ames, IA

Well for one, a dose of reality, as I see it at least in a thread that was lacking it. Secondly, because this is a message board/forum that is designed to encourage discussion.

but mostly because I hate seeing my fellow cyclone fan brethren filled with TOO much false hope. Just a little balance.

I hate to break it to you sir but it would be a miracle if this lasts only 12 months.

Last edited:

diaclone

Apr 16, 2006
Metro Omaha

EDIT: I didn’t want to double down on my negativity as I would love nothing more than to have college athletics this season but I just saw my third ISU athlete in an enclosed public place with no mask.
Yep, I'v noted before, bite the bullet and cancel fall sports. It's only going to get worse and why compound it.

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I think they play with no fans and conference only.

The only reason I think that is because there is no bailout of athletic departments coming.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
No fans should have been the first move. Still think going full steam ahead at 50% attendance (with no reseating) is unwise.

Past that though, 10 games vs 12 doesnt make much difference imo. I dont buy the idea that conference-only is somehow any safer. Actually if you're going to play the games anyway,i think 12 may make more sense in a 'schedule as many as possible to maximize the number of games played after you inevitably have to cancel a few' sort of way. There will be disruption and the whole season may have an asterisk on it, but whatever.

Ultimately though i think very few games will get played.
Let's assume the season limps along (differing conference games, games cancelled or players missing), talk about wonky rankings, astericks on stats, etc

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
It’s just going to feel like an exhibition season if it happens.
Brock wins the Covid Heisman, lol

Remember when a player would get in trouble (owi, etc) and had to sit out a game or something.....imagine if a player breaks policy, goes out and gets covid and passes it to a teammate? Just so many nuts scenarios.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010

Oh what horror. You do know that they are probably getting tested more than just about anyone in the state. You'll be ok.

NewClone09

Jan 7, 2009
Ames, IA
Oh what horror. You do know that they are probably getting tested more than just about anyone in the state. You'll be ok.

Students in general? Yes, I agree but they won’t be tested daily and many would be asymptotic and I’m not exactly counting on 18-22 year olds to take a full quarantine or precautionary measures seriously unless it’s strictly enforced (good luck with that, it’s not even possible).

As for athletes, you’re even more right. That said, what about classmates, girlfriends/boyfriends, friends and casual acquaintances? It’s too much. It doesn’t seem realistic to me.

3rdCoastClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 15, 2017
Gulf Coast of Texas
..... I hate seeing my fellow cyclone fan brethren filled with TOO much false hope.

I've been a Cyclone fan for over 50 years and I've always had hope going into a new football season. Some years hope may have been all we really had. In my experience, I've found that most Cyclones are capable of hoping for something and also being fully aware that it may not happen. Thank you for your concern, I guess.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006

How do you test over 100 athletes and coaches often enough to prevent spread? You can't isolate like you can in pro sports. Players are going to be sitting next to other students every day that aren't tested. Outbreaks are going to happen.

The question is what to do about it when outbreaks occur. Do you cancel games or just sit players? Seems like a good way to spread the virus from campus to campus if you allow the games to go on.

Push the season to spring. Hope we make progress on this thing by then. Better to have.a full spring season than to start the fall and have to shut it down.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
How do you test over 100 athletes and coaches often enough to prevent spread? You can't isolate like you can in pro sports. Players are going to be sitting next to other students every day that aren't tested. Outbreaks are going to happen.

The question is what to do about it when outbreaks occur. Do you cancel games or just sit players? Seems like a good way to spread the virus from campus to campus if you allow the games to go on.

Push the season to spring. Hope we make progress on this thing by then. Better to have.a full spring season than to start the fall and have to shut it down.

You’re trying to have a conversation with someone that believes this is all a hoax and everything that has come is a conspiracy.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
It's odd to be a month out from football season and feel nothing. Even if they do play, it's not going to be anywhere near the same. It sort feels like it would be better to just cancel than to even run a modified schedule. It all feels forced.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
Wouldn't it be cool to imagine athletic departments as publicly traded? How many of you would 'short' the season? Me? I wouldn't trade these entities just yet. Translation: I don't know crap about what's actually going to happen.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron