NFL: 2020 NFL Off-season Thread

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Patriots are definitely tanking for Trevor Lawrence.
No way. There's zero chance that these opt outs are part of a coordinated effort to tank by the Patriots. Convincing these players, all in their 30s, to give up a year of pay and a year of contract tolling for a possible shot at a rookie qb who may or may not be ready to play immediately? That's just not happening.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
No way. There's zero chance that these opt outs are part of a coordinated effort to tank by the Patriots. Convincing these players, all in their 30s, to give up a year of pay and a year of contract tolling for a possible shot at a rookie qb who may or may not be ready to play immediately? That's just not happening.

Might be a bit premature to tank anyway. What happens if the season is canceled before a draft order based on 2020 records can be established? No point in tanking right now.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I read something earlier today, explaining why some players were opting out. Players who still have guaranteed money on their deals have some incentive to not play.

The example used was a player who just signed a deal, with all/most of the guarantees in the first year. Guaranteeing the first year or two, and not the later years is pretty common in the NFL. Let's say the season gets cancelled halfway through this year, which is definitely a possibility. The player only gets half of their year 1 salary, but it counts as a full year of the contract, effectively reducing the guaranteed money of the contract. Opting out, just puts everything on hold for a year. The contract doesn't progress, and they play on it next year, with the full guaranteed year intact.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Holy ****, what is going on with the Pats? At some point we'll probably see other teams with multiple opt-outs, but right now the Pats have the most with six and it's not even close.

This is the season to tank. It would be so Patriots to tank 1 season and end up getting their next star qb for the next decade in Trevor Lawrence.

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
I read something earlier today, explaining why some players were opting out. Players who still have guaranteed money on their deals have some incentive to not play.

The example used was a player who just signed a deal, with all/most of the guarantees in the first year. Guaranteeing the first year or two, and not the later years is pretty common in the NFL. Let's say the season gets cancelled halfway through this year, which is definitely a possibility. The player only gets half of their year 1 salary, but it counts as a full year of the contract, effectively reducing the guaranteed money of the contract. Opting out, just puts everything on hold for a year. The contract doesn't progress, and they play on it next year, with the full guaranteed year intact.

In b4 Mahomes opts out and Chiefs fans everywhere cry.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
In an interview with Kyle Brandt this week, Aaron Rodgers tells him "look at the facts"--this will probably be his last year in Green Bay.
As a Vikings fan, I hope it's true. He's been a great QB for the Packers and it would be a relief not to see him twice a year.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
In an interview with Kyle Brandt this week, Aaron Rodgers tells him "look at the facts"--this will probably be his last year in Green Bay.
As a Vikings fan, I hope it's true. He's been a great QB for the Packers and it would be a relief not to see him twice a year.

We'll see. I don't recall the details now but with the way his contract is constructed it would be a massive dead money cap hit to cut him or trade him any sooner than after the 2021 season.
I guess a trade is possible. As long as his performance doesn't fall off a cliff he's good enough to move the needle for a good team with an average QB from playoff hopeful to serious contender.

edit: found the text of this portion of the Q&A: There is actually no mention by either guy as this being Rodgers' last year in Green Bay, just that "at some point" they'll move on from him.

So when you’re sitting around just over the last few months, scotch, tequila, whatever, at some point there’s a ridiculous decision that has to be made. Because if you’re just you, and you can stay healthy, the team either has to choose, “We’re going to move on from Aaron Rodgers,” which sounds nuts. Or “We’re just not going to play our first-round draft pick.” How does this end?

I think probably the first. The former. I think that’s probably what happens. Based on just the circumstances around everything. Just look at the facts. They traded up, they drafted him. I would say they like him, they want to play him.

Last edited:

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
We'll see....
edit: found the text of this portion of the Q&A: There is actually no mention by either guy as this being Rodgers' last year in Green Bay, just that "at some point" they'll move on from him.
......Just look at the facts. They traded up, they drafted him. I would say they like
him, they want to play him.

Agree. Comes down to whether or not Aaron thinks they want to play Love in year two. If they do, Rodgers won't be on the bench watching.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
We'll see. I don't recall the details now but with the way his contract is constructed it would be a massive dead money cap hit to cut him or trade him any sooner than after the 2021 season.
I guess a trade is possible. As long as his performance doesn't fall off a cliff he's good enough to move the needle for a good team with an average QB from playoff hopeful to serious contender.

So when you’re sitting around just over the last few months, scotch, tequila, whatever, at some point there’s a ridiculous decision that has to be made. Because if you’re just you, and you can stay healthy, the team either has to choose, “We’re going to move on from Aaron Rodgers,” which sounds nuts. Or “We’re just not going to play our first-round draft pick.” How does this end?

I think probably the first. The former. I think that’s probably what happens. Based on just the circumstances around everything. Just look at the facts. They traded up, they drafted him. I would say they like him, they want to play him.
Yeah it would be a big cap hit to let him go after this year. It's technically doable, but considering the cap could be lower, it's hard to see it happening. And if the cap is down a second year, it could put the Packers in a tough spot. That dead money doesn't go away if they trade or release him. It's coming off their books one way or another. Depending on what the cap does, it might mean the pack has to either hang on to AR longer than they planned, or hamstring the start of the Love era with a bunch of the cap tied up in dead money.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Agree. Comes down to whether or not Aaron thinks they want to play Love in year two. If they do, Rodgers won't be on the bench watching.

I don't think Love will be ready by the start of his second year. He's a high upside project, and missing his rookie offseason work isn't going to help him any. I think Green Bay's best move is to stick with Rodgers for the next two years, and if Love is ready by then they can move on from Rodgers with a manageable cap hit and still have some time to evaluate Love and make sure he's worth a second contract.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Yeah it would be a big cap hit to let him go after this year. It's technically doable, but considering the cap could be lower, it's hard to see it happening. And if the cap is down a second year, it could put the Packers in a tough spot. That dead money doesn't go away if they trade or release him. It's coming off their books one way or another. Depending on what the cap does, it might mean the pack has to either hang on to AR longer than they planned, or hamstring the start of the Love era with a bunch of the cap tied up in dead money.

Could be real awkward up in Green Bay for the next year or two. Aaron Rodgers isn't going to play nice, and if he's pissed he's gonna make sure everyone hears about it in the most passive aggressive way possible.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
If Rogers is pissed, he's not letting on. In fact, he's saying all the right things. He may be spurred to show everyone that he isn't, in fact, washed up.

And yeah, he's not going anywhere until 2022 at the earliest. Gutekunst is way too smart to saddle himself with that much dead cap money. If they really feel Love will keep them a winner, it doesn't make sense to handicap your team with a cap issue.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Plus I think Rodgers is smart enough not to get labeled a prima donna (even if many, including here, feel that he is. His teammates think otherwise.)

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
If Rogers is pissed, he's not letting on. In fact, he's saying all the right things. He may be spurred to show everyone that he isn't, in fact, washed up.

And yeah, he's not going anywhere until 2022 at the earliest. Gutekunst is way too smart to saddle himself with that much dead cap money. If they really feel Love will keep them a winner, it doesn't make sense to handicap your team with a cap issue.

Plus I think Rodgers is smart enough not to get labeled a prima donna (even if many, including here, feel that he is. His teammates think otherwise.)

I think it's probably easy to do and say all the right things during the offseason. It might be a little different once camp starts up and the games start.
And I'm an Aaron Rodgers fan, but he already has the reputation around the league of being a little prickly and has for a while now. It wouldn't exactly be off brand for him to make some snide comment about getting some more help on offense if they struggle at any point during the season.