NFL: 2020 NFL Off-season Thread

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
The Seattle move is interesting. I'm not sure they can overtake SF for the division (or New Orleans for the #2 seed) but absolutely I think they're a playoff team.
I would be pretty surprised if 5 of the 6 NFC playoff teams aren't the same this fall with my only swap being able to see the Bucs and Vikings battling out for a spot.

Oh, I absolutely think they can. Both of their head to head games with the Niners in 2019 were nailbiters, and Russell Wilson is annually underrated.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
The Seattle move is interesting. I'm not sure they can overtake SF for the division (or New Orleans for the #2 seed) but absolutely I think they're a playoff team.
I would be pretty surprised if 5 of the 6 NFC playoff teams aren't the same this fall with my only swap being able to see the Bucs and Vikings battling out for a spot.
Don't forget, there are 7 teams from each conference to make the playoffs this year.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Oh, I absolutely think they can. Both of their head to head games with the Niners in 2019 were nailbiters, and Russell Wilson is annually underrated.
Should be a great race. Two really solid teams that's for sure.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I absolutely forgot. So I think it'll be the same 5 last year + Bucs + either Cowboys or Eagles.

I like the Falcons as a sleeper playoff team in the NFC. Continuity is going to matter a lot with the limited offseason work, and that group has been together for a while.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I absolutely forgot. So I think it'll be the same 5 last year + Bucs + either Cowboys or Eagles.
Cowboys have a sneaky tough schedule this year. And while their offense has a ton of talent, the defense is pretty shaky. I could easily see them at 8-8 again, but with the expanded playoffs, still getting in.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I like the Falcons as a sleeper playoff team in the NFC. Continuity is going to matter a lot with the limited offseason work, and that group has been together for a while.
I'm intrigued with what Teddy can do in Carolina. Rhule obviously showed us he could coach in Waco, it'll be interesting what he can do.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I'm intrigued with what Teddy can do in Carolina. Rhule obviously showed us he could coach in Waco, it'll be interesting what he can do.

It's an interesting pairing there with a pretty conservative QB and an OC who had Joe Burrow taking shots all over the field at LSU.
Given Rhule's track record there's little reason to think he won't eventually have some success. But with the unusual offseason I wouldn't be surprised if they struggle quite a bit early.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Several Patriots players have opted out of the season now, including a couple of starters. We'll probably see some dominos fall now, in the form of other players around the league.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Add Chicago's Eddie Goldman to the opt out list. That's a big one for them.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Patrick Chung from the Pats opts out now.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Holy ****, what is going on with the Pats? At some point we'll probably see other teams with multiple opt-outs, but right now the Pats have the most with six and it's not even close.
3 of them starters too. I think you are correct. We're going to see a lot more opt outs, but for right now it's pretty jarring to see it hit one team primarily.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
3 of them starters too. I think you are correct. We're going to see a lot more opt outs, but for right now it's pretty jarring to see it hit one team primarily.

Players have until August 3rd to exercise the opt-out. Most teams are reporting to training camp over the next three days, and I'm guessing most players will make the decision before reporting. Once a guy is in camp it becomes far less likely that they'll opt out, so if there are going to be a lot more to follow it'll be in the next 24-48 hours. We'll see. Now that some higher profile guys are taking the opt-out I wonder if that will embolden some others who are on the fence.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Not a chiefs or royals fan but Mahomes becoming part owner is pretty cool

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Vikings DT Michael Pierce opts out as well. Big loss for them