NFL: 2020 NFL Off-season Thread

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines

Pending state and local approval, should Gillette Stadium be allowed to have fans in the stands this season, it is expected to host about 20 percent of its total capacity. Ticketed parties will be asked to maintain physical distancing of at least six feet from other parties, tickets will be arranged in blocks of 10 seats or less, and the first eight rows of stadium seats will not be used. Additionally, face coverings will be required at all times inside the stadium to keep all attendees safe.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
Last week the Chiefs handed over half a billy to Mahomes and the cap went DOWN $30,000.

This week? $85M to Chris Jones and... saved almost $6M.

Brett Veach tha God.

Reactions: 2020cy

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
If the season actually happens the Chiefs are in prime position. Best QB in the game, elite coach, and virtually no key losses from the roster or coaching staff. You can't control stuff like injuries or bad luck or Tyreek Hill randomly assaulting someone, but the pieces look to all be in place for another run.

I don't know how teams with a new head coach or QB or big time personnel turnover will be successful this year, basically just having to throw it all together on the fly.

Reactions: 2020cy

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006

The rumor is it's 4 years, $50 million with$25 million guaranteed. That would give him a bump over what he would have made on the franchise tag, but doesn't break the bank compared to other running backs. I suspect the prospect of having a salary cap shrinkage next year factors in. Especially for a running back. A guy like Dak Prescott, can reasonably risk playing on the tag this season, and provided he doesn't fall off a cliff, will still be able to get a big deal, or even tagged again next year. Running backs just don't have that kind of job security.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
The rumor is it's 4 years, $50 million with$25 million guaranteed. That would give him a bump over what he would have made on the franchise tag, but doesn't break the bank compared to other running backs. I suspect the prospect of having a salary cap shrinkage next year factors in. Especially for a running back. A guy like Dak Prescott, can reasonably risk playing on the tag this season, and provided he doesn't fall off a cliff, will still be able to get a big deal, or even tagged again next year. Running backs just don't have that kind of job security.
It was definitely in his best interest to get something done now. The 2021 free agents and draft class RBs are stacked plus Henry's stock will likely never be higher.

Reactions: Mr Janny

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Good video on the building of the huge video board in LA's new stadium:

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
It was definitely in his best interest to get something done now. The 2021 free agents and draft class RBs are stacked plus Henry's stock will likely never be higher.

Considering how running backs wear down and his playing style it's likely the Titans will regret the deal long before Henry does. He got the best deal he possibly could.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines

Good on him. Couldn't have been easy to walk away from his salary and a chance to play for another championship. But you can't blame a guy for having his priorities in order.

edit: As I understand it by exercising his opt out clause negotiated by the union he'll be paid a stipend of $150,000 but he won't accrue a year towards free agency because he's not a high risk for COVID as defined by the NFL. Players who are classified as high risk and opt out will be paid a $350,000 stipend and accrue a year towards free agency.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr Janny

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
That's one hell of a haul for a safety. Jets can't complain about what they got for him.

Win-now move for Seattle. Jamal Adams is a really good player who's been stuck on some real garbage teams, but that's a steep price. And now with that invested in him they practically have to pay him like the best safety in the league.

Considering how Adams had made it clear that he wanted out, that's a pretty nice job by the Jets GM. If Darnold can show that he's the long term answer there this year they have a decent looking future for a change.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Win-now move for Seattle. Jamal Adams is a really good player who's been stuck on some real garbage teams, but that's a steep price. And now with that invested in him they practically have to pay him like the best safety in the league.

Considering how Adams had made it clear that he wanted out, that's a pretty nice job by the Jets GM. If Darnold can show that he's the long term answer there this year they have a decent looking future for a change.
The Seattle move is interesting. I'm not sure they can overtake SF for the division (or New Orleans for the #2 seed) but absolutely I think they're a playoff team.
I would be pretty surprised if 5 of the 6 NFC playoff teams aren't the same this fall with my only swap being able to see the Bucs and Vikings battling out for a spot.