Joey Peterson Commits to the Cyclones

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
I love these kind of recruits. High motor, crazy worth ethic and has something to prove. We have seen numerous state of Iowa kids like this make their way over to UI and be something special by their Jr. and Sr. year.

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
Hey he isn’t being paid to be a talent evaluator
I definitely am not. But hey! I think I would have been better than some on the Rhoads staff (A lot of them thought Hakeem was a waste of a scholarship).

I do it for fun and I welcome any criticism or advise.

• Love
Reactions: t-noah and Doc

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
No. I hated Peavy and Harvey when we got them (and alot of others that didn't pan out, I don't want to say out of respect for those guys).
In fairness to you, I still don't think Peavy was that "talented." Probably the top four or five corners on the roster right now are physically more talented. Peavy's talent was between the ears and in personal grit, which doesn't show well on a highlight tape.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Watch his Junior tape. I think it's safe to say he's better suited to play on the inside. Got a lot of weight to add but a couple years down the road could be very solid.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
I definitely am not. But hey! I think I would have been better than some on the Rhoads staff (A lot of them thought Hakeem was a waste of a scholarship).

I do it for fun and I welcome any criticism or advise.

Seriously on Butler? The catch against UNI his freshman year told me enough.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Joey Peterson has committed to Iowa State. The class of 2021 wide defensive end is ranked by 247 Sports as the 22nd ranked player in Iowa. The in state prospect, who is brothers with Iowa State star DE Zach Peterson, was offered on an unofficial visit to Ames on November 16, 2019. 247 Sports only rates Peterson as a 2 star and does not fall within the top 1500 players in the country for his class, but we all know the success Campbell and staff has with lower rated recruits. More on Peterson:https://www.isucyclonesports.com/blog/joey-peterson-commits-to-the-cyclones
Some of us are old enough to remember that their Dad was a stud for ISU as well.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I’ll be honest, this is the first recruit of this class that I feel is a big yikes. I personally don’t like this take. I’d heard they had SIGNIFICANTLY cooled on him and his offer wasn’t really on the table anymore. Taking him means we aren’t getting JayDen Gray or Townley. I really wanted townley
I don’t think it’s mutually exclusive. With us losing at least four defensive ends after this year and next (maybe five), I’d hardly be surprised to see us take three in this class.

And Townley could certainly be a non-redshirting kind of guy.

• Informative
Reactions: khardbored

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
I don’t think it’s mutually exclusive. With us losing at least four defensive ends after this year and next (maybe five), I’d hardly be surprised to see us take three in this class.

And Townley could certainly be a non-redshirting kind of guy.
Townley was a longshot once he started to blow up. I could see him going to Oregon or another big school, but Minne looks like the favorite.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
One coach wanted him (Ayeni) and he had to beg and plead to be able to offer a schollie.

They don't get more raw than Hakeem Butler. He was a massive ceiling, incredibly low floor guy. He was never going to be a 80 catch guy. He was going to never make it or he was going to do what he did.

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
They don't get more raw than Hakeem Butler. He was a massive ceiling, incredibly low floor guy. He was never going to be a 80 catch guy. He was going to never make it or he was going to do what he did.
He wouldn’t have made it with Rhoads.

SouthernCy

Sep 8, 2019
We don't know that it's a full immediate offer. It could very well be a greyshirt that has a chance to turn into a regular offer if someone doesn't make grades or backs out late. The thing about Zach Peterson...he had a long time greyshirt offer. Then he grew a couple of inches and put on 30 lbs over his last year of HS. All of a sudden, he had a bunch of P5 offers and ISU was forced to offer him a regular scholarship. I don't think that Joey has Zach's frame and I doubt it happens, but if he shoots up like Zach did, we have a major player, because I'd take 10 Zach Petersons on the team.
Honestly, I had forgot about Zach being a greyshirt initially. As you said, he put on weight and grew some his senior year and looked like a monster. I'm with you that I don't think Joey is going to bulk up like Zach did over his senior year, but if he does, then I love it. Cause a team full of Zach Petersons is a dang good thing