NO FANS AT CYCLONE GAMES?

Brandon

Feb 6, 2014
My opinion is and I am no medical expert by any means is that they're gonna have fans in the stadium. If you dont like it dont go. The virus is going to have to run it's course. I for one likely won't be going though.

Reactions: cygrads

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
And 40 to 45 days is a ton of time in a fluid situation. If the state of Iowa makes the same progress in the next 45 days it has in the previous it will be hard to justify shutting things down at that point. My point remains, this is not a decision that needs or should be made now. The AD has taken measures to prepare and they are in a good spot to wait and see.
Agree and I imagine when JP arranged the 50% capacity at JTS he modified contracts for that level or if there's no attendance. They may be able to wait until a week or so before the first game to make the call.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
In the end, I suspect all NCAA schools do the same thing. It’s not worth worrying about now.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
My gut tells me that this is politically motivated more than anything else.

Well.... it sounds like Dr. Paschen has a axe to grind with ISU athletics from what I have heard. There is even talk of furloughing people in the athletic department now.

FYI - Dr. Paschen's wife Cynthia is running for election to the Iowa State Senate to represent District 24.

Reactions: ArgentCy

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
This is more about people visiting from other counties

A month ago when the state reopened and our numbers were low, I would have agreed with you. At this point, we are the pariahs in the state of Iowa, for the rate of new infections. I don't know why anyone would want to come to the city growing sixth fastest in the nation.

You do realize that thousands of people every day walk into a Hy-Vee that is barely cleaned, right? We've seen millions of people March for BLM in the past month. No massive death tolls.. Iowa hospitals are laying people off and rural medical centers may close forever if we don't get back to a new normal. Wake up dude... How many peoples livelihood depends on athletics? Stop being selfish because you have a white collar job and can stay in your suburban home until medical experts get us more treatment.

No. In the past three days, globally we've seen the largest one-day spike in new infections. Ames has registered sixth on the fastest-rising cities in the US for infection rates. I am incredibly familiar with the Iowa healthcare climate (and the climate nationwide) and the effect that quarantine have on them - but massive illnesses are worse than the effects of quarantine on the economy. Toronto's experience with SARS is a good micro example - here's an actual case study: LINK This isn't politically slanted, this isn't "but I really want or don't want X" - this is a scientific case study and data analysis.

Everyone wants sports and entertainment, everyone wants things to be back to normal. But it's not, and ignoring it and pretending it doesn't happen isn't helping at all.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Well.... it sounds like Dr. Paschen has a axe to grind with ISU athletics from what I have heard. There is even talk of furloughing people in the athletic department now.

FYI - Dr. Paschen's wife Cynthia is running for election to the Iowa State Senate to represent District 24.

Do you have any supporting info on this besides conjecture? The orthopedic surgeons at his employer are the ISU team docs, so I'd guess that's actively against his livelihood.

He said a comment in an interview about the largest rate of new Story County infections being in the 18 - 25(ish) age range, and that coinciding with ISU's announcement of athletes and coaches getting COVID. That's not an axe, that's just looking at the data.

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
You keep framing this in terms of personal risk, when this is about community risk. When someone at low risk attends the game and gets infected, they may not die or be seriously affected, but when they go to other places, essential places like the grocery store, people who didnt attend the game are affected by those poor choices. You're looking at things in an inherently selfish way.

What 'can't be argued' is that the health experts are saying having fans is a bad idea. The science is pretty clear on this.
Science - yes, pretty clear I think.
Just look at EU data. More people, more dense population, older population - far better results. Not even close. Reason they say - they listened to the experts, many from the US.
I think there will be games played. Who wins might very much depend on which team is the most Covid free. Assuming you cannot play if exposed, I think it will be a giant mess. With all the $ involved, cheating could become a factor.
I would like to see the breakdown of cash flow into the program. I must believe that TV is #1 by far. I would guess donations is #2 (that may suffer some) and then ticket sales. I think we could survive a year with no fans. Data is probably out there. Some savings for not having fans.
I am really torn on this issue. I think no fans is probably the right decision. I think so far ISU has a solid plan for dealing with a bad situation. I will probably not go if they stick with the plan. It does become a personal decision, but as many others said, your decision has the potential to impact many others in the community, including your family.
I am an old guy. Never seen anything like this. ISU football is very important to me. I am afraid the decision is not as simple as a personal choice.
That said, I have no intent to criticize ISU’s final decision. I think we have good leadership. Extremely tough situation. The wisdom of the decision will probably play out in the numbers over time. I will be emailing my thoughts to Jamie. The one thing I hope they do not consider is full attendance. I think governmental guidelines no longer prohibit that, and it was at least one factor in developing the 30K plan. I know others disagree, but I think there are many advantages to the 30K plan. I would guess, based upon the cyclone fans I know very well, about half plan to go and half probably not.
Things can change, as they say, probably a game day decision based on data and the final plan for me.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Do you have any supporting info on this besides conjecture? The orthopedic surgeons at his employer are the ISU team docs, so I'd guess that's actively against his livelihood.

He said a comment in an interview about the largest rate of new Story County infections being in the 18 - 25(ish) age range, and that coinciding with ISU's announcement of athletes and coaches getting COVID. That's not an axe, that's just looking at the data.

Just repeating what I heard this morning from my reliable source within ISU.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
A month ago when the state reopened and our numbers were low, I would have agreed with you. At this point, we are the pariahs in the state of Iowa, for the rate of new infections. I don't know why anyone would want to come to the city growing sixth fastest in the nation.

No. In the past three days, globally we've seen the largest one-day spike in new infections. Ames has registered sixth on the fastest-rising cities in the US for infection rates. I am incredibly familiar with the Iowa healthcare climate (and the climate nationwide) and the effect that quarantine have on them - but massive illnesses are worse than the effects of quarantine on the economy. Toronto's experience with SARS is a good micro example - here's an actual case study: LINK This isn't politically slanted, this isn't "but I really want or don't want X" - this is a scientific case study and data analysis.

Everyone wants sports and entertainment, everyone wants things to be back to normal. But it's not, and ignoring it and pretending it doesn't happen isn't helping at all.

Deaths per day have been crashing over the last month or so, even in the face of re-opening in many places and the BLM protests. These infection rates build on themselves like compound interest, I have witnessed it in my own community. Many people are infected and don't realize it until tested. One person tests positive, so everyone they were in contact with gets tested, and any that test positive there, contact everyone they were in contact with and they all get tested, and the infection rate spikes in that community due to increased testing and awareness, but hospitalizations and deaths remain constant (or actually fall) in most cases.

This exact scenario happened to me - a group of us were pouring concrete a couple weeks ago, someone tested positive in that group (about 10), so we all had to get tested, 2-3 of them tested positive, which lead to 4-5 positive tests in their circle of contact, etc etc. In the end about 50 people ended up testing positive in our small town out of that initial concrete pouring group of 10, none are in the hospital and only a handful are actually sick.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Deaths per day have been crashing over the last month or so, even in the face of re-opening in many places and the BLM protests. These infection rates build on themselves like compound interest, I have witnessed it in my own community. Many people are infected and don't realize it until tested. One person tests positive, so everyone they were in contact with gets tested, and any that test positive there, contact everyone they were in contact with and they all get tested, and the infection rate spikes in that community due to increased testing and awareness, but hospitalizations and deaths remain constant (or actually fall) in most cases.

This exact scenario happened to me - a group of us were pouring concrete a couple weeks ago, someone tested positive in that group (about 10), so we all had to get tested, 2-3 of them tested positive, which lead to 4-5 positive tests in their circle of contact, etc etc. In the end about 50 people ended up testing positive in our small town out of that initial concrete pouring group of 10, none are in the hospital and only a handful are actually sick.

i don’t think we know if the reopening has caused less hospitalizations yet. Places like Texas and Florida are getting close to bad situations based on hospital availability.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009

That is probably correct because we tested all of the athletes, and then everyone the positive tests had contact with. Shouldn't be a surprise that the number of infections went up.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
Just repeating what I heard this morning from my reliable source within ISU.
094857bc-017f-4ad7-b6c8-43c6ca3772e0_text.gif

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid

anecdotal-evidence1.png

Reactions: VeloClone and Angie

Trice

Apr 1, 2010

And his wife is running for a state senate seat, so naturally the thing she wants to do is drop a nuke on ISU athletics in the middle of a campaign. It's so obvious.

Some real galaxy brain thinking on display in this thread.