NO FANS AT CYCLONE GAMES?

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
if you think class and sporting events are equivalent you are not very bright. And to think there won’t be a lot of restrictions for class is also not a good take.

In fact, the same document from story county lists several recommendations for ISU classes and residencies, and ISU is planning on doing a lot of those already and then some afaik

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
You do realize that buying food is essential and football is just a frivolous game, right? Likewise with protesting people literally being murdered vs, again, a ******* game. And byy the way, please do tell me what hyvee is cramming in tens of thousands of people at a time, i'd love to see that.

First.......he didn't say "tens of thousands".....he said "thousands". Which, for Hy Vee from open to close is true. And second.......does the virus know the difference between "essential" and "frivolous".

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
You do realize that buying food is essential and football is just a frivolous game, right? Likewise with protesting people literally being murdered vs, again, a ******* game. And byy the way, please do tell me what hyvee is cramming in tens of thousands of people at a time, i'd love to see that.

Absolutely hilarious that you call me selfish for wanting the recommendations of health officials to be followed when you want to put people's health in danger just so you can plant your ass in a stadium for a few hours. Its selfish people like you that are making our country the laughingstock of the world in handling this.

We are never going to agree when arguing over the internet.. so I'm not going to turn this into a di*k measuring contest. But no single decision is binary to stopping COVID. Yes, having football increases risk. But most people under 60 are at a greater risk of death from drunk driving after a football game than COVID. That is a fact that cannot be argued. What you should take away from my statement is people need jobs and athletics provide the livelihood for a lot of people in this community. We need to think of them as well

Reactions: Acylum

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
As long as games are played, then the TV money is still sent to the conference, and then to the schools, the sports programs will be hurt but survive. The fans being at the games is just added revenue. The big money comes from TV.

Since a lot of G5 schools get little payout from TV, those are going to be the schools hurting a heck of lot more than ISU.

Reactions: Macloney and Angie

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
First.......he didn't say "tens of thousands".....he said "thousands". Which, for Hy Vee from open to close is true. And second.......does the virus know the difference between "essential" and "frivolous".

Who cares what the virus 'knows'. When it comes to the virus, its all about managing community risks. Some activities will unfortunately be essential, and we have to do those, but we can drop the ones that aren't. Attending a football game is about at the top of the list for nonessential activities.

Either way its a ******* stupid comparison. When was the last time you were ever crowded in as much in a hyvee as you are in a stadium?

Reactions: chili

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
We are never going to agree when arguing over the internet.. so I'm not going to turn this into a di*k measuring contest. But no single decision is binary to stopping COVID. Yes, having football increases risk. But most people under 60 are at a greater risk of death from drunk driving after a football game than COVID. That is a fact that cannot be argued. What you should take away from my statement is people need jobs and athletics provide the livelihood for a lot of people in this community. We need to think of them as well

You keep framing this in terms of personal risk, when this is about community risk. When someone at low risk attends the game and gets infected, they may not die or be seriously affected, but when they go to other places, essential places like the grocery store, people who didnt attend the game are affected by those poor choices. You're looking at things in an inherently selfish way.

What 'can't be argued' is that the health experts are saying having fans is a bad idea. The science is pretty clear on this.

Reactions: Macloney

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
What are players parents thinking about all this? Honest question. I am sure nearly every football player wants to play. But does anyone on here know what parents think? Are they ok risking their child's health and possibly the health of older family members, etc?

Reactions: Macloney

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
So a public health board shouldn't weigh in on the single most significant health issue in decades, because...people might listen to them?

Listen to yourself, man.
They can weigh in when the decision is going to be made. A decision isn’t going to be made for at least a month. It wouldn’t surprise me if the decision doesn’t get made until mid August. The issue is it is blatant pandering at this point. The issue isn’t that they want to weigh in.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Just move football to the spring. All games on saturdays with basketball games on sundays so they don’t interfere with basketball TV coverage.

But we don't know if conditions are going to be any better in the spring. No one wants to sit around all fall and winter without sports, thinking well I will at least getting to go and tailgate in the spring, And then have that season cancelled because the virus is still here.

Close the stadiums, put them all on TV, and we will have to use that as our sports fix for awhile, beats the hell out of what we are getting now.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I guarantee that if iowa, Nebraska and other Midwest schools have fans in the stands, ISU is going to as well no matter what the county board says. They have no power over what ISU does. I would bet money that Pollard comes out with a statement tomorrow saying that they are going to go ahead with the 30k plan until the situation requires them to do otherwise.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I guarantee that if iowa, Nebraska and other Midwest schools have fans in the stands, ISU is going to as well no matter what the county board says. They have no power over what ISU does. I would bet money that Pollard comes out with a statement tomorrow saying that they are going to go ahead with the 30k plan until the situation requires them to do otherwise.

I don’t know. Seems pretty short-sighted to burn that bridge.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
if you think class and sporting events are equivalent you are not very bright. And to think there won’t be a lot of restrictions for class is also not a good take.
Only reason classes are being held is because no one would sign up for the same tuition but online classes. So it's out of a survival necessity they are having in person classes. Unfortunately, it's the exact same situation for the athletics. Make or break.

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010
Just move football to the spring. All games on saturdays with basketball games on sundays so they don’t interfere with basketball TV coverage.

Basketball is not happening with fans due to enclosed space amidst flu season overlapping with covid. Also, think about the weather you just suggested football be played in. You'd be 50/50 of having conditions <= the Drake game

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
Basketball is not happening with fans due to enclosed space amidst flu season overlapping with covid. Also, think about the weather you just suggested football be played in. You'd be 50/50 of having conditions <= the Drake game
^^^^This. Can't imagine trying to attend a game in Jack Trice in January/February. Heck, everyone would be huddling in the bathrooms just to stay warm. Maybe March-May?

Hoggins

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 2, 2019
Man, I can’t wait for the **** show on this board when a bunch of ISU players kneel.

Reactions: Gunnerclone

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
They can weigh in when the decision is going to be made. A decision isn’t going to be made for at least a month. It wouldn’t surprise me if the decision doesn’t get made until mid August. The issue is it is blatant pandering at this point. The issue isn’t that they want to weigh in.

I can't imagine the level of delusion it requires to actually believe this.

I get that you want football. We all want football. But don't let your desire to have football make you dumb.

It's a non-binding recommendation which Jamie Pollard is free to ignore, and probably will. It'll be fine.

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
No, you do it now so that when Iowa State is making its decision it's already heard from the Health Department. You don't wait until they're already making the decision. You don't throw this at Iowa State when they're already starting to make their decision.

Also, what's really going to change between now and then? It's not like people are going to start social distancing and wearing masks.

Last edited:
Reactions: VeloClone and Angie

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
We should just cancel the school year. Way too risky to being 30,000 people from all over the world to Ames and bring COVID with them.

If it’s too dangerous to attend a football game, it’s too dangerous for colleges to hold anything on-campus. Shut them all down.

Reactions: cygrads

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron