Kirk Ferentz getting sued for being racist

Status
Not open for further replies.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I don't mean this in any way to defend the coaching staff, but football demands conformity. Team first, keep things in house, all that stuff is definitely a part of football culture. It's what led to a culture of ignoring injuries in the past and it's what has allowed this type of culture to persist at Iowa.

Now that said, I've always been somebody who thinks if you are a good motivator, actually good at your job, you shouldn't need to even resort to the screaming at people crap we see in coaching a lot especially for football. Obviously anything racial or personal like with the Kellenburger kid is way over the line.
Berating players for how they talk, walk, dress, the music they listen to, etc is a perfect example of demand of white conformity. I see it all the time in my own father. ******** about some young black kid dressing a certain way or listening to rap. It's not just football. Becoming a member of the team is about solidarity not attacking someone's individualism.

Jammin’

Jul 18, 2009
Ames-Mia-Atx
I still can’t believe KF answered, on camera yesterday, he can’t recall any parent or player bring up racial problems over his entire 21 career.

Just really stunned he so quickly defaulted to , “I can’t recall.”

All is well in ANF photo op land

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Berating players for how they talk, walk, dress, the music they listen to, etc is a perfect example of demand of white conformity. I see it all the time in my own father. ******** about some young black kid dressing a certain way or listening to rap. It's not just football. Becoming a member of the team is about solidarity not attacking someone's individualism.

100% agree. I didn't phrase it well. The historical nature of football is that it demands conformity. Many times in the past that conformity goes way, way too far, like with the "rub some dirt on it" thinking about concussions to the swallow your pride and deal with anything because it's meant to make you better stuff.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
Somewhere, Bill Snyder now thankful he was pushed out a year ago....

SouthernCy

Sep 8, 2019
I don’t think anyone is happy about it. But that is how someone chose to express him- or herself. No way of knowing who it was, or what their story is. Maybe there are students who are not athletes who are also being marginalized. Maybe it is a friend of somebody who has received that treatment. Maybe it is misguided. Who knows, but it certainly doesn’t make it invalid.
I think you are missing the point that many of us are trying to make. Is the anger and pain valid and real? Absolutely. But when children throw temper tantrums and start destroying things in the house, you don't reward them and say "welp, its valid so it's all good." No, you try to teach them a healthy and adult way to express their feelings. That's the point I see. There is a way to express feelings without destruction, which is protest, not vandalism.

And before you get upset or try to twist my words, no, I am not calling the people protesting/vandalizing children and us their adults. I was merely show an example of a different course of action

Reactions: Acylum

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I think you are missing the point that many of us are trying to make. Is the anger and pain valid and real? Absolutely. But when children throw temper tantrums and start destroying things in the house, you don't reward them and say "welp, its valid so it's all good." No, you try to teach them a healthy and adult way to express their feelings. That's the point I see. There is a way to express feelings without destruction, which is protest, not vandalism.

And before you get upset or try to twist my words, no, I am not calling the people protesting/vandalizing children and us their adults. I was merely show an example of a different course of action

Sure. But what happens when the children do all of those healthy and adult way of expressing their feelings and the adults ignore them?

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
I thought spray painting Nile was too much but I can somewhat understand it.
But this? Why would you ever tweet this? (Brecht has shared it as well)

Zach Twedt doing dumb and selfish things....in other news the sun rose in the East this morning.

Crookedhatkid

May 14, 2018
Brian Ferentz can’t possibly be part of the problem. He is so sympathetic to the cause that his offenses have basically been kneeling in solidarity for years.

Reactions: irish

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
100% agree. I didn't phrase it well. The historical nature of football is that it demands conformity. Many times in the past that conformity goes way, way too far, like with the "rub some dirt on it" thinking about concussions to the swallow your pride and deal with anything because it's meant to make you better stuff.
That needs to die as well, which originated from a white man's monopoly on coaching.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA

Yep, and they've tried that. This is just like the bigger conversation - 100% agree, it's best if peaceful conversations can fix problems. When they don't, you move to peaceful protests (like taking a knee during a racist national anthem, or sitting in a plaza in Minneapolis). But the first peaceful protests were met with tear gas, so things escalated nationally. Next you hit the oppressors in their pocketbooks and in their public image - that's what is happening.

Is it possible some of those kids just wanted to break some crap? Absolutely. But is it more likely that most wanted to truly and honestly say, "This has to end," the same type of stuff that they were spray-painting? I'd say yes.

It's not ideal, I've said that at least 10 times. But I think you are missing the point that several of us are trying to make - they tried peaceful protests. One player stood directly up to Doyle, got suspended, and still had to apologize. It didn't work. People are just trying to be heard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Help Support Us

Become a patron