ISU Athletics Staff Member Tests Positive

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
I mean I would just think it's common sense to think that an overweight person is less in shape and therefore has more health issues than an athlete playing at a very high level.
Do people not really understand these linemen carry a lot of weight in muscle? Yea they have some fat too, but they arent all flabby armed and just sit and eat junk food putting on that weight. They could all outrun us and have better lungs than us.

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
Ehhh....it’s pretty big news. They have few people on campus and they’ve already got sick athletes. It just highlights how hard it will be able to keep them healthy.

And of course there is no possible way they got sick before coming to campus

And of course, there is no possibility that some or all 4 of these were diagnosed because there is closer monitoring since they are athletes in this environment.

And of course, none of them would have contracted the disease if they had not come to campus.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Gator fans refer to Urban as the Pope? I just thought he the was the Arrogant Jerk who laughingly makes comments like "Ever been to Ames?"

I think you are picking up on the intended irony.

I guess I should have added her family is made up of lapsed Catholics.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
This is turning into a stupid argument.

but no one has answered my question. Let’s assume that going forward makes medical sense because they aren’t likely to die or have serious long term problems (debatable but understandable) and let’s assume that Iowa State will do their best to mitigate it.

my concern is that it seems almost impossible not to have a significant number of players come down with it and have to be isolated for 6 weeks.

let’s say OL Joe goes to class and interacts with someone who has it. Joe goes to practice where he is in close contact with his OL teammates and the face of Iowa State, Brock Purdy. Joe gets tested and is positive. So Joe is out for 6 weeks. BUT since everyone is being tested often, 3 OLs and Brock also test positive. Now they are out for 6 weeks. I would fully expect most if not all of them would ultimately be fine. But it’s hard to see how it doesn’t spread like wild fire in a team. And it seems like 15-30% coming down with it isn’t out of the question. Is it hard to play football with 30% out?

riceville98

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Iowa
There are dots being connected that don't necessarily connect.

It's entirely possible that the staff member and the student-athletes are separate instances, and not that they all got it as a result of being at the facilities.

I believe this in a correct and very important fact. If you read the statement carefully, it says that the 4 student-athletes had contact with people outside of the athletic department. so they did not get covid from the worker

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I don't think there is much reason to debate, we just had a dry run of 10's of thousands of people in the streets. The data that comes out soon should speak volumes about how we should proceed. Seemed like most people were wearing masks but very little else as far as social distancing. The last week may not tell us everything about the virus but it should gives us lots of info about safely gathering. It'll be interesting to see the data in a few weeks, it should be very telling as far as opening things up like school, shopping, concerts, sporting events etc... and whether or not that is realistic. I'm not expecting an all clear or an increased restrictions but the info coming out of this should be very valuable. Hopefully its good news.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
And of course there is no possible way they got sick before coming to campus

And of course, there is no possibility that some or all 4 of these were diagnosed because there is closer monitoring since they are athletes in this environment.

And of course, none of them would have contracted the disease if they had not come to campus.

thats not really the point though. The real problem is how you keep significant number of players from getting it.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019

but no one has answered my question. Let’s assume that going forward makes medical sense because they aren’t likely to die or have serious long term problems (debatable but understandable) and let’s assume that Iowa State will do their best to mitigate it.

my concern is that it seems almost impossible not to have a significant number of players come down with it and have to be isolated for 6 weeks.

let’s say OL Joe goes to class and interacts with someone who has it. Joe goes to practice where he is in close contact with his OL teammates and the face of Iowa State, Brock Purdy. Joe gets tested and is positive. So Joe is out for 6 weeks. BUT since everyone is being tested often, 3 OLs and Brock also test positive. Now they are out for 6 weeks. I would fully expect most if not all of them would ultimately be fine. But it’s hard to see how it doesn’t spread like wild fire in a team.
This is actually an issue that other sports leagues are having to answer too. At this point in time I don't think there is any clear answer to that question.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa

let’s say OL Joe goes to class and interacts with someone who has it. Joe goes to practice where he is in close contact with his OL teammates and the face of Iowa State, Brock Purdy. Joe gets tested and is positive. So Joe is out for 6 weeks. BUT since everyone is being tested often, 3 OLs and Brock also test positive. Now they are out for 6 weeks. I would fully expect most if not all of them would ultimately be fine. But it’s hard to see how it doesn’t spread like wild fire in a team. And it seems like 15-30% coming down with it isn’t out of the question. Is it hard to play football with 30% out?
Who’s to say most of our team won’t have already had it by September? I do get your question though and it is a valid one.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Do people not really understand these linemen carry a lot of weight in muscle? Yea they have some fat too, but they arent all flabby armed and just sit and eat junk food putting on that weight. They could all outrun us and have better lungs than us.
There's no doubt that lineman have a higher BMI than other football positions, but they're certainly healthier than an average 350 pound person.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
Haven't you guys heard? Racism and looting/rioting has cured covid 19. Carry on!
giphy.gif

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
thats not really the point though. The real problem is how you keep significant number of players from getting it.

Agreed. My assumption, could be a big miss, is that they have a plan to manage that. I am just jumpy as there has been so much abuse of partial data analysis on this entire thing.

Certainly will be interesting to see where it goes. I don't think any lives are being endangered but the plan to have games make not hold together.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Who’s to say most of our team won’t have already had it by September? I do get your question though and it is a valid one.

sure that would be great, I guess. Although it doesn’t seem realistic.

I just think there are a lot of stupid fans that want to ignore the logistics and just yell about about how people aren’t going to die without thinking about it.

I also think that it seems awfully ignorant not to consider how hard it will be to keep the team healthy.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid

I don't think it's possible. Players are going to get it. I'm assuming if a team has a major outbreak they'll be required to forfeit games until it's under control.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Agreed. My assumption, could be a big miss, is that they have a plan to manage that. I am just jumpy as there has been so much abuse of partial data analysis on this entire thing.

Certainly will be interesting to see where it goes. I don't think any lives are being endangered but the plan to have games make not hold together.

I’m sure they have a plan. I’m sure it is a great plan. But it’s a lot harder than some here make it sound.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron