ISU Athletics Staff Member Tests Positive

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Virus isn't going away. There is no vaccine at Walgreens. There MAY be some treatment modalities that work better than others. Absent canceling next season and not allowing anyone back on campus - what is your solution?

I don’t know. I’m not even arguing they should cancel anything and their response sounds solid.

I am just saying that it seems unlikely that a football team won’t have a big outbreak causing 15-30% of the team to miss six weeks. That makes it harder to have games.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
ISU is not first in having kids sick. Not by a long shot. All eyes are NOT on ISU to see how we handle this.

What other schools, other than Okie State today, have had athletes get the virus? I haven't heard of any. But it may just be under-reported. Surely, someone is keeping a tally somewhere.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
Im aware of those limited studies but if we are being fair this needs to broken down by age. Scarring of the lungs and long term issues will be more prominent in older patients with pre-existing conditions versus 18-24 in the likely the best health of their life.

My concern is more for the coaches and all of the support staff needed to operate an athletic department. Obviously, people in athletic departments are going to catch and spread Covid. It's inevitable. The people who are most at risk aren't the players which is completely backwards from where we were months ago.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
What other schools, other than Okie State today, have had athletes get the virus? I haven't heard of any. But it may just be under-reported. Surely, someone is keeping a tally somewhere.

I won't search and I won't link but easy to find.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Four athletes have a runny nose. Shut down the whole ******* state. Except for the looters. They're fine. :D

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
Ohhhhhh it all makes sense now.

you've been reading dan wolken's stuff!

Not actually reading the CDC's stuff and what scientists are saying.

makes total sense now.
Since you’re praising the CDC I will assume you’re just coming out of a three month coma..

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
It's not dumb at all. You want to separate them, but there is absolutely no reason to. None.

I broke my collar bone making a diving catch in the end zone after landing on the ball and I still came home with it....

vs...

I got COVID because someone, I have no idea who, could have even been my own teammate, spit all over my face while we were in a pile.

no difference there right? None whatsoever. I know what contracting a sports injury is and I know what contracting a disease is. They aren’t the same thing.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Why? Where is the data on that?
I mean I would just think it's common sense to think that an overweight person is less in shape and therefore has more health issues than an athlete playing at a very high level.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I broke my collar making a diving catch in the end zone after landing on the ball and I still came home with it....

vs...

I got COVID because someone, I have no idea who, could have even been my own teammate, spit all over my face while we were in a pile.

no difference there right? None whatsoever.

Yeah, because a broken collar bone is the worst thing that ever happened to a football player on the field. Practically a scratch. Walk it off. Get ******* real.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/high-scho...ie-separate-field-accidents/story?id=65651257https://abcnews.go.com/US/high-scho...ie-separate-field-accidents/story?id=65651257

"Two high school football players died this weekend nationwide after sustaining injuries on the field. Peter Webb, a sophomore at Southwest Covenant in Oklahoma, and Alex Miller, a senior at Roane County High School in West Virginia, both died after sustaining injuries during school football games on Friday."

What do you say to those families?

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I mean I would just think it's common sense to think that an overweight person is less in shape and therefore has more health issues than an athlete playing at a very high level.

I think the only answer we can all agree to is we can play football but no heavy linemen....now everyone pay me for my great thinking.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I broke my collar bone making a diving catch in the end zone after landing on the ball and I still came home with it....

vs...

no difference there right? None whatsoever. I know what contracting a sports injury is and I know what contracting a disease is. They aren’t the same thing.
Yeah, COVID could keep you out a month and the broken collar bone will likely keep you out the entire season.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Yeah, because a broken collar bone is the worst thing that ever happened to a football player on the field. Practically a scratch. Walk it off. Get ******* real.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/high-scho...ie-separate-field-accidents/story?id=65651257https://abcnews.go.com/US/high-scho...ie-separate-field-accidents/story?id=65651257

"Two high school football players died this weekend nationwide after sustaining injuries on the field. Peter Webb, a sophomore at Southwest Covenant in Oklahoma, and Alex Miller, a senior at Roane County High School in West Virginia, both died after sustaining injuries during school football games on Friday."

What do you say to those families?
"According to Anderson’s research, 33 NCAA football players died playing the sport between 2000 and 2016, an average of two per season. Six of those deaths were traumatic, the result of injuries caused by collisions. The rest were non-traumatic, the result of intense exercise."

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2...s research, 33,the result of intense exercise.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I won't search and I won't link but easy to find.

I searched for "what college football players have gotten the coronavirus" and got very little other than lots of articles about how college athletic programs are doing testing and the case at Okie State (which seems to be related to him attending a protest, not anything directly related to the team). Even the Iowa State cases didn't show up in the search. So, I still wonder if this is somehow related to a Big 12 testing protocol, perhaps started on June 1st. Or is it just a coincidence that two Big 12 teams have athletes who have tested positive while no other ones are being reported. Perhaps ours are just being reported and cases at other schools are still being kept under wraps.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
"According to Anderson’s research, 33 NCAA football players died playing the sport between 2000 and 2016, an average of two per season. Six of those deaths were traumatic, the result of injuries caused by collisions. The rest were non-traumatic, the result of intense exercise."

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/aug/19/college-football-deaths-offseason-workouts#:~:text=According to Anderson's research, 33,the result of intense exercise.

What say you, @Gunnerclone?

If we did not have football, then those 33 bright young men would be alive.

Remember, answer correctly, or their blood is on your hands.

Reactions: dtISU and awd4cy

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
What say you, @Gunnerclone?

If we did not have football, then those 33 bright young men would be alive.

Remember, answer correctly, or their blood is on your hands.
That's not even diving into the data on CTE and the long term effects playing football can do on your brain.