ISU Athletics Staff Member Tests Positive

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
If @Gunnerclone and his risk tolerance for players is so low, then football should not be a thing at all considering the sport that it is and always will be.

This is 100% the truth. Like it or not, players probably have an equal chance of dying just by playing this game, having more serious long term health effects from playing the game, etc.

Again, if any player doesn't want to play this year they should be given a redshirt and another year of eligibility. Nobody should be forced or coerced into playing if they don't feel comfortable. Until we hear about players not wanting to play, I'm going to assume they do and I'll be happy to support them as I always do.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I never expect you to attend another Iowa State sporting event again. It would be for your entertainment and bad things could happen. I don't want your entertainment to be worth more than an athletes health. You could watch someone break their leg like Alex Smith and almost die.

I know I'm totally a hypocrite with sports at times.

"How could the NFL add a 17th game yet they act like they care about concussions>"

Also me "I want to purchase NFL redzone"

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
We all roll the dice every day.
Research is in the early stages of studying the long term effects.

"Physicians have also found evidence of scarring in Covid-19 patients' lungs. According to Parshley, some CT scans show Covid-19 patients have light gray patches on their lungs called "ground-glass opacities," which don't always heal. One Chinese study found the patches in 77% of patients, Parshley reports."

"While it's too soon to tell whether the lung damage in Covid-19 patients will be permanent, research shows that about one third of survivors of similar coronaviruses such as SARS and MERS had long-term lung damage."

https://www.advisory.com/daily-briefing/2020/06/02/covid-health-effects

Sounds good. We can all skip the ISU logo tattoos and just have permanent lung damage together. 8-4 with 50 COVID cases was amazing though.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Might as well re-post in order to keep the ACTUAL NEWS afloat:

https://cyclones.com/news/2020/6/3/...port-first-positive-covid-19-test-result.aspx

A part-time student worker notified the department over the weekend of a positive result and the athletics department staff member that worked closely with the student worker has been quarantined. Contract tracing procedures related to the incident are also underway. Additionally, four student-athletes (two different sports) have experienced symptoms after being in close contact with individuals outside of the athletics department who have been infected by the virus. Those student-athletes are also in quarantine and are awaiting test results.

Reactions: mj4cy

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
There is a huge difference between a 350 pound obese person and a 350 pound college football lineman.

no no no wrong wrong wrong

ol' Jim Bob whose 380 pounds and eats fast food 5 times a day is just as healthy as ol' Johnny whose 350 pounds and can run a 4.9 40 and is on a college athletic diet program!

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
getting a football injury playing football is not the same thing as contracting Coronavirus from playing football. I know you know how dumb you sound when you spew that line.

It's not dumb at all. You want to separate them, but there is absolutely no reason to. None.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019

"Physicians have also found evidence of scarring in Covid-19 patients' lungs. According to Parshley, some CT scans show Covid-19 patients have light gray patches on their lungs called "ground-glass opacities," which don't always heal. One Chinese study found the patches in 77% of patients, Parshley reports."

"While it's too soon to tell whether the lung damage in Covid-19 patients will be permanent, research shows that about one third of survivors of similar coronaviruses such as SARS and MERS had long-term lung damage."

Very interesting.

http://www.center4research.org/foot...otball,can have terribly debilitating effects.

That article talks about some of the long term effects from brain injuries sustained from playing football. Not trying to say one is worse than the other, just thought this was interesting as well.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
Exactly my point..,the plan is to just “roll the dice”, which is not a plan at all.

I don’t agree with the idea that it is simply rolling the dice. I’m hopeful that we can look at data from SARS or MERS and the long term effects on healthy 18-24 year olds and extrapolate information.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Can I see the data on how Covid 19 effects those two classes of people differently?
Assuming the 350 pound obese person has some sort of condition, they would be more likely to have more severe complications than the 350 pound lineman who can run around a 5.0 40 yard dash.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
that’s fine. But don’t you think it becomes pretty hard to social distance on a team? How many positive tests can we have and still play a game?

Virus isn't going away. There is no vaccine at Walgreens. There MAY be some treatment modalities that work better than others. Absent canceling next season and not allowing anyone back on campus - what is your solution?

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
The risk management proposition here is hellish..

This is a really good way of saying it. Few of us can relate to the magnitude or the difficulty of the decision for Pollard.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009

Im aware of those limited studies but if we are being fair this needs to broken down by age. Scarring of the lungs and long term issues will be more prominent in older patients with pre-existing conditions versus 18-24 in the likely the best health of their life.

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Can I see the data on how Covid 19 effects those two classes of people differently?
I kind of agree. There's always been this thought that 350 lbs lineman were the pinnacle of health but that just doesn't seem to be the case. Reading Yanda's story about not being able to go down stairs except one at a time and not being able to walk with his wife until he dropped significant weight because everything hurts and he didn't have the cardio to do it was telling. Lineman are built for a very specific task and I doubt fighting a respiratory virus is one of them considering what they do.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Assuming the 350 pound obese person has some sort of condition, they would be more likely to have more severe complications than the 350 pound lineman who can run around a 5.0 40 yard dash.

Why? Where is the data on that?