ISU Athletics Staff Member Tests Positive

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Let’s play some sports! **** the players and staffs, if they get sick and die they get sick and die. I’m bored! We can’t just not do stuff because there’s a deadly virus everywhere!

Reactions: Halincandenza

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Let’s play some sports! **** the players and staffs, if they get sick and die they get sick and die. I’m bored! We can’t just not do stuff because there’s a deadly virus everywhere!

I get the sentiment, but the same can be said for all students on campus this fall. Everyone is going to be exposed and at least the athletes are getting tested and have good medical care.

It would be nice to see the NCAA give all athletes the option of an extra redshirt year this season if they choose.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA

besides the sarcasm, dead on! But let's not turn this into yet another stupid pointless cave thread.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Not really news in my estimation.

Ehhh....it’s pretty big news. They have few people on campus and they’ve already got sick athletes. It just highlights how hard it will be able to keep them healthy.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I get the sentiment, but the same can be said for all students on campus this fall. Everyone is going to be exposed and at least the athletes are getting tested and have good medical care.

It would be nice to see the NCAA give all athletes the option of an extra redshirt year this season if they choose.

the problem is that 4 have symptoms with few on campus. If you get COVID you are out for 2 weeks minimum. Got to have people to play.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Would almost have to be football players right? What other student athletes would be there?

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Not surprising, but news. Just wait until everyone gets back on campus. There should eventually be thousands of students and many athletes.

I wonder what the death threshold is be before decision makers would blink. Liability has been removed, so it’s more a PR and moral issue. Although if consumers feel the risk assessment has been completely passed to them, business will suffer.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Would almost have to be football players right? What other student athletes would be there?

I think they had several different types of athletes in their pilot program—-mostly ones rehabbing.

GrappleCy

Aug 7, 2018

If you don't consider this news I'd be interested to know what you do consider news.

This is the first test to see if we're gonna be able to have sports, or hell, in person classes on campus, this fall. Every school in the country is gonna watch how this plays out.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
There are dots being connected that don't necessarily connect.

It's entirely possible that the staff member and the student-athletes are separate instances, and not that they all got it as a result of being at the facilities.

LivntheCyLife

Nov 25, 2006
St. Louis, MO

How many student-athletes that are living in their home cities do you think have contracted it? Is the risk really higher in Ames? If there's any silver lining from this, hopefully they are less likely to give it to their parents/grandparents now. It's looking like there's a lot of things to answer before we can think about having games, but I'm still not convinced having student-athletes in town and having them be tested over the summer is a bad thing.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
How many student-athletes that are living in their home cities do you think have contracted it? Is the risk really higher in Ames? If there's any silver lining from this, hopefully they are less likely to give it to their parents/grandparents now. It's looking like there's a lot of things to answer before we can think about having games, but I'm still not convinced having student-athletes in town and having them be tested over the summer is a bad thing.

I don’t know, if I was an administrator I wouldn’t want to have to call mama and tell her her boy is on a respirator 700 miles away and don’t come up because she can’t see him anyway. We’ll send him back to you in a nice box if he doesn’t make it.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I don’t know, if I was an administrator I wouldn’t want to have to call mama and tell her her boy is on a respirator 700 miles away and don’t come up because she can’t see him anyway. We’ll send him back to you in a nice box if he doesn’t make it.

Gross exaggeration. The threat to well conditioned young people is miniscule. The concern is with them carrying it to vulnerable relatives.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

That’s not the point. The point is if you have 4 with symptoms already what happens when everyone comes back? It’s pretty easy to see how a big percentage of any team comes down with it and then you are forfeiting games.