WR Brody Brecht: ISU vs Iowa

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Guess I’m going to have to go premium, just so that I can get the “dumb” emoji.

Some people are stubbornly wrong. I illustrate to him how meaningless these rankings are, and yet he still keeps going back to that well to whine.

Since I already proved that the 2018 Instate rankings were worthless, let’s try 2017.

The universal (Rivals and 247) top four players in that class were Oliver Martin, Tristan Wirfs, Mark Kallenberger and O’Rien Vance. Some posters here (who shall remain nameless) were doubtless pulling their hair out about ISU not getting enough of the top prospects in the state. Getting our *** kicked yet again.

From Iowa, Wirfs was definitely a stud, we’ll politely say that Martin has been hampered by injuries, and Kallenberger has a chance to start his last two years. I haven’t seen much of the rest of their other three signees on this list.

I don’t think that Rocky Lombardi or Zach Dykstra have done anything at Michigan State or Miami (FL), either. Please feel free to let me know if I’m mistaken.

To counterbalance Wirfs, ISU already has a full season of starts from Vance and #14 Colin Newell, and both look like they will be three year starters. Then Jake Hummel has been a regular member of the linebacker rotation, and seems a lock to start as a true senior.

That leaves Devon Moore and Alex Kleinow as the only ISU non contributors so far.

So yep, I’d say that Vance, Newell and Hummel is going to counterbalance Wirfs and (maybe) Kallenberger quite well. My point being that these Instate rankings are the next best thing to meaningless, and nothing to pull a Chicken Little act about.

For a refresher, ISU had the #4 and #5 guys in the ‘18 class, while Iowa had the top three. And this far, Zach Petersen and Trevor Downing beat John Waggoner, Dillon Doyle and Tyler Linderbaum.

Geniuses, I swear.

Most especially when the staff is doing quite well out of state.

I guess if you insist on running around shouting “The sky is falling!” In spite of simple facts, be my guest.

So you are saying "stars mean nothing.' Then how does the best teams year after year also have the most 4 and 5 star players on the team, but the lower ranked schools rarely do?
I suppose Alabama, LSU, Georgia, Ohio State and Oklahoma are just out coaching everyone year after year.
Well because you picked and choose a couple classes that shows that is correct. You want dumb, there it is.
The higher ranked the recruits a team gets the better chance they have to win more games. Do outliers happen, sure do, but not often and not in football.

I stand by my statement, we are getting our ass kicked in instate recruiting, until that shores up, its going to be difficult, to move up in the standings and bowls.

Last edited:

Brodie0

Apr 1, 2020
So you are saying "stars mean nothing.' Then how does the best teams year after year also have the most 4 and 5 star players on the team, but the lower ranked schools rarely do?
I suppose Alabama, LSU, Georgia, Ohio State and Oklahoma are just out coaching everyone year after year.
Well because you picked and choose a couple classes that shows that is correct. You want dump, there it is.
The higher ranked the recruits a team gets the better chance they have to win more games. Do outliers happen, sure do, but not often and not in football.

I stand by my statement, we are getting our ass kicked in instate recruiting, until that shores up, its going to be difficult, to move up in the standings and bowls.

The “stars don’t matter” advocates love to bring up the lightly recruited players who pan out, but never seem to mention the misses. Iowa fans used to have the same arguments, but those largely have died down after the 2008 and 2009 recruiting classes. Iowa brought in two classes of almost entirely “underrated sleepers,” and many didn’t care because Ferentz had such a great track record of developing those guys. Those classes turned out a few really good players (Micah Hyde and Brett Van Sloten), but the vast majority of those guys were complete whiffs. It depleted the talent on the roster, and next thing you know Iowa goes 4-8 in 2012 and Ferentz is on the hot seat.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Stars and offers absolutely matter but we're not going to bring baseball back for a marginal Midwest recruit. If we had to start up baseball to get Hutchinson, Jackson or Tampa that's a different story

mitchforcy

Dec 1, 2009
Stars and offers absolutely matter but we're not going to bring baseball back for a marginal Midwest recruit. If we had to start up baseball to get Hutchinson, Jackson or Tampa that's a different story
Brecht has said that his decision was based entirely on Football. We didn't miss out on Brecht because we don't have a baseball program.

clonehoodie

May 14, 2017
In state recruiting should be a priority. We need players that understand what is important to us. It is tougher to get short 3-stars from Texas to care about Iowa athletics.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Apples and Oranges here. Football and Baseball do not run into each other. Also think about what you are doing here. Making fun of one of the few d1 power 5 players that plays 2 sports for their university. I would say he is doing well at both. Not a superstar at either but contributes to both

ISU fans are just jealous we can't provide the same opportunity.

hawkeyejoe60

Jan 6, 2012
It’s not that he was right that was the issue. It’s that he’s an *** about it.

Iowa makes the least out of the most on offense, but with the seniors who graduate, he’ll have tons of playing time available outside, and little to no competition.

That wouldn’t have been the case here. Maybe he’ll get lucky and Petras will be a better passer than they’ve had for a while.
You mean the guy that never lost to ISU that guy?

benman82

Nov 17, 2009
Guess I’m going to have to go premium, just so that I can get the “dumb” emoji.

Some people are stubbornly wrong. I illustrate to him how meaningless these rankings are, and yet he still keeps going back to that well to whine.

Since I already proved that the 2018 Instate rankings were worthless, let’s try 2017.

The universal (Rivals and 247) top four players in that class were Oliver Martin, Tristan Wirfs, Mark Kallenberger and O’Rien Vance. Some posters here (who shall remain nameless) were doubtless pulling their hair out about ISU not getting enough of the top prospects in the state. Getting our *** kicked yet again.

From Iowa, Wirfs was definitely a stud, we’ll politely say that Martin has been hampered by injuries, and Kallenberger has a chance to start his last two years. I haven’t seen much of the rest of their other three signees on this list.

I don’t think that Rocky Lombardi or Zach Dykstra have done anything at Michigan State or Miami (FL), either. Please feel free to let me know if I’m mistaken.

To counterbalance Wirfs, ISU already has a full season of starts from Vance and #14 Colin Newell, and both look like they will be three year starters. Then Jake Hummel has been a regular member of the linebacker rotation, and seems a lock to start as a true senior.

That leaves Devon Moore and Alex Kleinow as the only ISU non contributors so far.

So yep, I’d say that Vance, Newell and Hummel is going to counterbalance Wirfs and (maybe) Kallenberger quite well. My point being that these Instate rankings are the next best thing to meaningless, and nothing to pull a Chicken Little act about.

For a refresher, ISU had the #4 and #5 guys in the ‘18 class, while Iowa had the top three. And this far, Zach Petersen and Trevor Downing beat John Waggoner, Dillon Doyle and Tyler Linderbaum.

Geniuses, I swear.

Most especially when the staff is doing quite well out of state.

I guess if you insist on running around shouting “The sky is falling!” In spite of simple facts, be my guest.

Might not have the figures totally correct but I think Iowa has signed 10 guys who have ISU offers in the 2021 class, while ISU has signed 0 who have Iowa offers. Beyond just in state guys that is a concerning trend.

lets-talk

Jun 13, 2018
Might not have the figures totally correct but I think Iowa has signed 10 guys who have ISU offers in the 2021 class, while ISU has signed 0 who have Iowa offers. Beyond just in state guys that is a concerning trend.
A surefire high-level prospect like Fidone or Boller is very different than mid level guys (like most of the in-state guys Iowa has). When it's all said and done if Iowa ends up with a much bigger chunk of the class (than usual) populated by in staters, the resulting mono culture is bound to cause second guessing at some point down the road. This could backfire on them where they think they have a much better class that they actually do talent wise.

vortex

Jan 30, 2010
A surefire high-level prospect like Fidone or Boller is very different than mid level guys (like most of the in-state guys Iowa has). When it's all said and done if Iowa ends up with a much bigger chunk of the class (than usual) populated by in staters, the resulting mono culture is bound to cause second guessing at some point down the road. This could backfire on them where they think they have a much better class that they actually do talent wise.
Wut?

UNI1ISU2

Jun 7, 2019
Well 2 days till we find out if he goes pro in baseball or not. Hitting triple digits with fastball now

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Well 2 days till we find out if he goes pro in baseball or not. Hitting triple digits with fastball now
Thank God we didn't have baseball. I'm thinking he goes pro and would have cost us a spot in our last class

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
I understand the difficult decision, but his window of time to make serious money isn't very long, so I'd encourage him to cash in while he's blessed enough to have the opportunity.

cyadict

Aug 4, 2006
Ankeny
The kids planning on big things. He went from taking a lot of math and engineering related classes in HS to going to Iowa to major in business. I guess I didn’t know that many people went to Iowa for business.

Last edited:
  • Creative
Reactions: Aclone