Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
For a few years the Air Force used BMI as a fitness measurement. Unless you were an absolute rail and didn't have any muscle mass you were docked huge points before you even took your fitness test. So freakin dumb.
That is really stupid to score anything with BMI when you are doing a fitness test for each individual.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
And the shame in all this is that while very difficult to do, we very easily could be allowing people that NEED to go to a physical site to work to do so (whether their business is "essential" or not) and probably have just as few or even fewer people out and about if the designation was if your job is such that it can reasonably be done from home, then that is required, or all aspects that can be done from home must be. Instead everybody follows the "essential/non-essential" guidelines, which basically put many in the mindset that it is the nature of the company for which you work that dictates if you stay home, rather than the job itself. So instead we've got people doing pure computer work going into an office every day. Both might have been necessary, but I think every place would've been in a good position both in terms of COVID and financially if really early on there was a full court press on making people work from home if at all possible, as much as possible.

You have too many bosses or heads of companies/businesses that can't operate if they're not overseeing all operations physically, while probably at the same time don't like 'big brother'. Oddly many people that I've had as bosses that behave this way were horrible at delegating in general.

There's some stuff being figured out as we go and hopefully it finds a balance going forward.

For example it's not the same as being there for the appointment to work things out, but I had a Zoom PT appointment the other day that was basically just as productive as when I could go in. Issue being many don't have the luxury of being able to attend virtually.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
Good discussion points.

The people that are unemployed and want to go back and are just calling this another flu and think we just need herd immunity should be right up front and center to fill in to those meat plants. Where are they?

If they ARE working and have the finances to, and are claiming to be worried about the local economy, they should be donating to local businesses or associations. I've yet to read anything about these things happening, which comes back to them just being worried about themselves only.

Let’s see I go and buy groceries for 4 elderly couples that don’t have kids in town, and put them on their porch. I call them and they put a check for the amount in the mailbox. But by your statement I’m only worried about myself

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Warning signs from Utah on the outsourced testing

I'm fairly sure that to Kim Reynolds, an artificially low rate of positive test results is a feature, not a bug. Whether she knew that when she signed the contract or not is another matter.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
If a doctor tries to prescribe you a drug that you know the CDC has not approved for your condition and has failed multiple trials - it's not "politicizing" anything to question that recommendation

This would depend entirely upon the CDC having peoples best interest in mind. Did you know they aren't even a government agency and get a majority of funding from private organizations?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I know I keep kicking this dead horse, but it's important that people don't think this really changes much in terms of action needed to this point. There have been two major studies. Neither found positive results that were statistically significant in changing outcomes of death. In one death rate went up from 13-14%, this more recent study it went down from 11% to 8% but due to the way the study done it was deemed statistically insignificant.

Not to say it is not positive, as it shortened avg. recovery time from 15 to 11 days. But at this point there is no data supporting that it will save lives directly. Shortening that recovery time can help clear up hospital beds, which is important. Lastly, it's important to note that possible side effects are such that there's probably a lot of overlap for being at risk to side effects and being at high risk for dying from COVID-19.

Not trying to be a downer, because this is positive news, but people need to not get overly optimistic about this being a game changer, because it is not YET.

Yeah it's not BAD news but it's not something that makes it all of the sudden OK to go out and get Covid either.

There's a positive sign of vaccine progression out of Oxford but like anything, let's see it actually happen.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Here is a good summary of the various models currently out.

27759572-8264839-image-a-22_1588093322239.jpg

Reactions: besserheimerphat

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010

That's not a crisis. That represents idiots not understanding statistics. If you test more people fewer of them are going to be positive. :rolleyes: Especially when they've made it so darn difficult to test unless you have pretty much been diagnosed before they even give you a test.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
And surely logic lies somewhere in the middle...

Nah. It's people who trust reputed public health experts and economists operating in good faith vs. people who parrot conservative anti-science crap.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale

Definitely something to keep an eye on. I don’t think there were some reasonable explanations presented though. If there are problems with their tests we need to immediately investigate that and take corrective action. I do worry a bit about some gatekeeping going on. I would be concerned we could be seeing some of the same issues that lead to the initial testing shortage in the US.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Testing for Utah being done at a small hospital lab in Orem. Didn't Reynolds say TestIowa tests are processed in Iowa?

Yes, I believe they are processed in Iowa labs - but the types of tests they are providing are different (I think not using a "reagent"? or a different one, I'm not sure)

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Let’s see I go and buy groceries for 4 elderly couples that don’t have kids in town, and put them on their porch. I call them and they put a check for the amount in the mailbox. But by your statement I’m only worried about myself

So you're doing something for your community (which is awesome stuff, btw)...how would that line of thinking be pertaining to you?

More specifically, I'm speaking to the type of people that are driving from 2 hours' + distance away (they can afford gas money?) to protest because they want to go to their second home in northern WI. It's all supposed to be in the name of supporting the north woods, but they could just donate to those places where they plan on spending money, and wait since the north woods aren't going anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Help Support Us

Become a patron