Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
BTW, Professor Raoult is the guy who looks just like the President's doctor in NYC and was previously in the news pushing hydroxychloroquine.

%2Fmethode%2Fsundaytimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2Fbf34e64a-7155-11ea-95ac-727c046e7b5d.jpg
The guy is a quack.

Reactions: Cat Stevens

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
https://www.express.co.uk/news/worl...est-news-second-wave-covid19-lockdown-updates

"Professor Didier Raoult said data on the spread of the virus suggested it had reached a “bell curve” which he claimed was a typical epidemic cycle which should rule out the prospect of a rebound.

Prof Raoult said: "The second wave story is a fantasy that was invented from the Spanish flu, which started in the summer and has nothing to do with it.

"Usually an epidemic happens in one curve. I hate to make predictions, but this way of constructing it is fairly common for epidemics.

“In the past, epidemics disappeared long before we had the means to contain them. They disappeared anyway.

"Humanity didn't die from an epidemic, that's the way it is. Epidemics start, accelerate, peak, disappear, and we don't know why.”"

I'm actually a touch hopeful for this as most countries that I've seen that were ahead of the US have seemed to go lower in cases and not go up but I'm not sure how much of their restrictions were lifted or when.

There still needs to be a plan for the fall. If there's excess PPE etc., it's there for use.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I'm actually a touch hopeful for this as most countries that I've seen that were ahead of the US have seemed to go lower in cases and not go up but I'm not sure how much of their restrictions were lifted or when.

There still needs to be a plan for the fall. If there's excess PPE etc., it's there for use.

Yeah, I am fully behind creating a national stockpile of all things needed to combat a future pandemic (or a recurrence), and also ensuring that we have domestic production available as a matter of national security. I also want to see big changes in laws and regulations that allow health care companies to limit competition (and hospital capacity).

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
It isn't my job to do your homework. Take personal responsibility and inform yourself.
The more important question is why do you despise a drug so much when you clearly know absolutely nothing about it. I just have a tough time comprehending why a certain group of people hate that drug so much. Is it just because Trump said a few good words about it? So when a doctor recommends a drug that a clueless person such as yourself disagrees with that doctor should be called a quack? The way some people are politicizing a medicine is incomprehensible to me.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
The more important question is why do you despise a drug so much when you clearly know absolutely nothing about it. I just have a tough time comprehending why a certain group of people hate that drug so much. Is it just because Trump said a few good words about it? So when a doctor recommends a drug that a clueless person such as yourself disagrees with that doctor should be called a quack? The way some people are politicizing a medicine is incomprehensible to me.

I don't despise a drug. The real question is why are you obsessed with a drug just because Trump pushed it?

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA

If a doctor tries to prescribe you a drug that you know the CDC has not approved for your condition and has failed multiple trials - it's not "politicizing" anything to question that recommendation

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Yeah, I am fully behind creating a national stockpile of all things needed to combat a future pandemic (or a recurrence), and also ensuring that we have domestic production available as a matter of national security. I also want to see big changes in laws and regulations that allow health care companies to limit competition (and hospital capacity).

Hospitals and med centers might be in a better spot for a plan, as they adjusted locations of Covid patients vs. regular patients and maybe can further improve that type of situation.

Businesses would be better too.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale

Not Iowa but thought it was interesting and the general one is long gone. I didn’t independently verify the numbers but this would be a pretty stark rebuke of Newsoms handling of this as it shows frankly there was some fear mongering even if we didn’t know what would happen. I’d also like to see the amount of beds that they have.

I think this is part of the problem in Iowa. There is a big discrepancy in what people’s goals are. Frankly I think that is part of what has lead to the politicization of the topic. Democrats are advocating for trying to wipe out the virus and Republicans are more of at the idea to keep it below the resources we have.

I think maybe as a society wide thing (not just here as it’s been better than just general discussions) it would be helpful to start discussions out with that context. If someone is trying to kill the virus completely they are obviously going to support stronger restrictions than someone wanting to keep cases below our hospital resources.

GrappleCy

Aug 7, 2018
The one good thing about those that constantly politicize a pandemic, which I personally find repulsive, is that you can discount everything else that person says. No offense.

The only thing is that a lot of people consider any type of criticism of the government response to be politicizing the issue. And to be fair to that a lot of people do go in to Cave territory with their replies. But even people who voted for Reynolds can be unhappy with how she's been dealing with this, or people who didn't vote for her could be mad only because she isn't opening things up more quickly.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA

Not Iowa but thought it was interesting and the general one is long gone. I didn’t independently verify the numbers but this would be a pretty stark rebuke of Newsoms handling of this as it shows frankly there was some fear monger if even if we didn’t know what would happen. I’d also like to see the amount of beds that they have.

I think this is part of the problem in Iowa. There is a big discrepancy in what people’s goals are. Frankly I think that is part of what has lead to the politicization of the topic. Democrats are advocating for trying to wipe out the virus and Republicans are more of at the idea to keep it below the resources we have.

I think maybe as a society wide thing (not just here as it’s been better than just general discussions) it would be helpful to start discussions out with that context. If someone is trying to kill the virus completely they are obviously going to support stronger restrictions than someone wanting to keep cases below our hospital resources.

How is it a "rebuke" of his handling it? If he's put policies in place that preventing issues at hospitals - that was the whole goal of the policies!

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

Not Iowa but thought it was interesting and the general one is long gone. I didn’t independently verify the numbers but this would be a pretty stark rebuke of Newsoms handling of this as it shows frankly there was some fear mongering even if we didn’t know what would happen. I’d also like to see the amount of beds that they have.

I could not disagree more. Democrats aren’t trying to shut things down until the virus is gone (but the main republican repeated again this week that the virus would just disappear).

democrats are are however fans of looking at science first. For example, I’m don’t understand why kim is insistent about opening 77 counties including several surrounding black hawk when we haven’t hit our peak yet. The peak is likely coming in two weeks. Why not hold out until May 15?

Reactions: NEPatriotscy

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
If a doctor tries to prescribe you a drug that you know the CDC has not approved for your condition and has failed multiple trials - it's not "politicizing" anything to question that recommendation

Didn't that drug show to make things worse?

Last I heard, now, because there was a hoarding for it, people that actually need it, are going to see a shortage of it.

An actual PLAN for how to use it, distribute it and still make it available for those that need it would have been useful, as opposed to 'What do you have to lose?' from the Music Man.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
How is it a "rebuke" of his handling it? If he's put policies in place that preventing issues at hospitals - that was the whole goal of the policies!
If you read the graph those predictions (blue and green) were with social distancing intervention. While I think it’s good that we are well below those points I think it shows fear mongering that just wasn’t needed. I will fully concede that we didn’t know what to expect when this first started but our predictions were not remotely realistic. Particularly for ones in mid April. I also think it shows that there is potential, depending on capacity, for some minor easing there.

I guess my summary is staying below capacity is great and necessary but you don’t get additional points for staying further below the capacity levels.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Race tracks in Iowa are opening up and holding races with no fans.

Personally I think this is dumb and didn't plan to attend, but the series I race added a race for May 9 so because of points I am kind of forced to attend.

Each car is allowed to have anywhere from 8 - 10 people with it and you have to wear a mask anytime you leave your pit area.

Status
Not open for further replies.