Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrappleCy

Aug 7, 2018
I agree they are for herd immunity. I guess that is what I meant by keeping it below the resources available.

I also agree that PPE is still a bit of a concern. I guess I don’t really understand that part of it. We should have had plenty of time to obtain more PPE. We should be doing a better job here.

I guess the working in factories question is an issue that really needs addressed. I don’t want anyone who isn’t comfortable to have to work in those conditions. People with risk factors or who live with people with risk factors should be able to quit for now and receive unemployment. At the same time I think those types of places should be receiving volunteers to work there for right now. Frontline workers are the military of a war. For example Iowa is recruiting poll workers for June. They are seeking out young people to help. Maybe that can also be done for places like meat packing facilities.

I think some of the issue is the enemy is invisible and frankly people have been told all they can do to help is hide. I think providing outlets for people to assist in the response would help.

So you're going to be signing up for a shift at the Tyson plant then?

Reactions: Halincandenza

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
From somebody who used to have that problem, there are a lot of things you could do.

-Turn 32 years old
-go buy some bags of doritos and smoke some pot
-get a wife or long term girlfriend (maybe have a kid)
-drink a few ipas every night

That got me from a sickly 25 to a robust 28 in a few years ;)

well ****. Even have a bag of Doritos around right now. TBF, I'm still below what I was pre-kid and that was pretty normal. Dropped a jean size even so that was nice? Sleep loss and active toddler getting multiple outside times seems to balance the increased drinking and less office walking. Plus I'm militant about getting workouts in. I can tell that having the child home all the time increases snacking because we tend to finish off what he doesn't and have a snack with him.

There is research showing it's better to be overweight (not obese) than underweight, provides......cushion........for if you get sick. Especially as you get older. Just to get this sorta back on topic to COVID.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I agree they are for herd immunity. I guess that is what I meant by keeping it below the resources available.

I also agree that PPE is still a bit of a concern. I guess I don’t really understand that part of it. We should have had plenty of time to obtain more PPE. We should be doing a better job here.

I guess the working in factories question is an issue that really needs addressed. I don’t want anyone who isn’t comfortable to have to work in those conditions. People with risk factors or who live with people with risk factors should be able to quit for now and receive unemployment. At the same time I think those types of places should be receiving volunteers to work there for right now. Frontline workers are the military of a war. For example Iowa is recruiting poll workers for June. They are seeking out young people to help. Maybe that can also be done for places like meat packing facilities.

I think some of the issue is the enemy is invisible and frankly people have been told all they can do to help is hide. I think providing outlets for people to assist in the response would help.

Good discussion points.

The people that are unemployed and want to go back and are just calling this another flu and think we just need herd immunity should be right up front and center to fill in to those meat plants. Where are they?

If they ARE working and have the finances to, and are claiming to be worried about the local economy, they should be donating to local businesses or associations. I've yet to read anything about these things happening, which comes back to them just being worried about themselves only.

SayMyName

Jan 28, 2017
ABQ
Of course there should be a balance, and CA would be wise to ease the restrictions in some areas, like allowing more non-urgent medical procedures, but society is not "completely shut down" - that's ridiculous hyperbole
30+ million newly unemployed people might tend to disagree with you there.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
I wonder if the grocery stores would limit the amount of meat products people buy like it took them a long time to figure to implement for cleaning products and TP.

So, it will probably take them a long time to figure out to do that.

Woodman's had been limiting chicken for a while. Think spouse said last week or the week before was the first time it didn't have a limit. I told him first week of April to start getting extra meat to keep in the freezer with the way things were starting to look. We'd be fine without it for the most part though. Don't need to eat it every day all day.

Raiders70

Nov 18, 2015
We haven't shut down society. Mass gatherings are cancelled, restaurants are take out only, and some business types like gyms and hairdressers are closed. But the overwhelming majority of stuff is still open. Even stuff like airplanes aren't empty because people aren't allowed to travel, you could buy a ticket right now to go anywhere domestically or internationally (though you might have to self quarantine when you get there). They are empty because nobody wants to travel right now.
Much stricter measures in place in California than in most states. Plus for whatever reason the West coast strain is not as deadly as the European/east coast strain. So yes, California is overreacting a bit. The governor of California really comes across as a "control" type of authority figure and I think that has a lot to do with how strict the shelter in place order is.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
If I wasn’t still working full time in my essential job yeah I would probably consider it. How many people willingly sign up to go to war.

Physical war is a physical thing that makes it easier to buy into.

Politics eventually seeped in but the solidarity and working toward a common cause in our country post 9/11 lasted way longer than 2 months.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
Good discussion points.

The people that are unemployed and want to go back and are just calling this another flu and think we just need herd immunity should be right up front and center to fill in to those meat plants. Where are they?

If they ARE working and have the finances to, and are claiming to be worried about the local economy, they should be donating to local businesses or associations. I've yet to read anything about these things happening, which comes back to them just being worried about themselves only.
Frankly I don’t think you are seeing it because there isn’t anything set up to do so. After 9/11 it was clear how to sign up to combat the attack. Now I don’t think it’s clear how people who are willing can help. People have been told to just stay home.

For the donating I guess I’ve seen tons of donations coming in.

GrappleCy

Aug 7, 2018
Now I don’t think it’s clear how people who are willing can help. People have been told to just stay home.

It's a virus, not Al Qaeda. Staying home and being responsible when you do need to go out IS what you can do to help.

Ideally we would have been using the last two months to ramp up production of PPE, come up with a unified set of standards for social distancing/mask wearing/etc and how to enforce it, and other things like that. But we haven't. So we're still stuck where we were at the beginning of March.

Reactions: bawbie

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Frankly I don’t think you are seeing it because there isn’t anything set up to do so. After 9/11 it was clear how to sign up to combat the attack. Now I don’t think it’s clear how people who are willing can help. People have been told to just stay home.

For the donating I guess I’ve seen tons of donations coming in.

There's been donations....there could be more.

And people have been told to stay home, but are all about not doing that.

So they should sign up to work at places that need help since it's a chance to do something without being told what to do since that's their narrative. Imo it's because they're more concerned with their own self interests since they really don't gaf about others' economic situation any other time.

Reactions: simply1

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
it's fascinating how people's response to this virus and news about it sorts out by political inclination. in this case I think it's how predisposed people are to accepting 'conventional wisdom' and how they receive information contrary to that.

No it is separating the logical from the illogical.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Good discussion points.

And the shame in all this is that while very difficult to do, we very easily could be allowing people that NEED to go to a physical site to work to do so (whether their business is "essential" or not) and probably have just as few or even fewer people out and about if the designation was if your job is such that it can reasonably be done from home, then that is required, or all aspects that can be done from home must be. Instead everybody follows the "essential/non-essential" guidelines, which basically put many in the mindset that it is the nature of the company for which you work that dictates if you stay home, rather than the job itself. So instead we've got people doing pure computer work going into an office every day. Both might have been necessary, but I think every place would've been in a good position both in terms of COVID and financially if really early on there was a full court press on making people work from home if at all possible, as much as possible.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Some good new: https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/04/first-treatment-for-sars-cov-2-shortens-recovery-time/

Remdesivir, a drug created for ebola, has shown a significant decrease in symptom duration in a NIH study with 1000 participants. The effects were so significant that the study ended early so the placebo group could receive it.

Not great news is the drug is administered intravenously, so can only be administered in a hospital setting.

I know I keep kicking this dead horse, but it's important that people don't think this really changes much in terms of action needed to this point. There have been two major studies. Neither found positive results that were statistically significant in changing outcomes of death. In one death rate went up from 13-14%, this more recent study it went down from 11% to 8% but due to the way the study done it was deemed statistically insignificant.

Not to say it is not positive, as it shortened avg. recovery time from 15 to 11 days. But at this point there is no data supporting that it will save lives directly. Shortening that recovery time can help clear up hospital beds, which is important. Lastly, it's important to note that possible side effects are such that there's probably a lot of overlap for being at risk to side effects and being at high risk for dying from COVID-19.

Not trying to be a downer, because this is positive news, but people need to not get overly optimistic about this being a game changer, because it is not YET.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
BMI is useful for population studies. It is not something you would use to determine your own ideal weight.

For a few years the Air Force used BMI as a fitness measurement. Unless you were an absolute rail and didn't have any muscle mass you were docked huge points before you even took your fitness test. So freakin dumb.

Status
Not open for further replies.