Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
https://www.express.co.uk/news/worl...est-news-second-wave-covid19-lockdown-updates

"Professor Didier Raoult said data on the spread of the virus suggested it had reached a “bell curve” which he claimed was a typical epidemic cycle which should rule out the prospect of a rebound.

Prof Raoult said: "The second wave story is a fantasy that was invented from the Spanish flu, which started in the summer and has nothing to do with it.

"Usually an epidemic happens in one curve. I hate to make predictions, but this way of constructing it is fairly common for epidemics.

“In the past, epidemics disappeared long before we had the means to contain them. They disappeared anyway.

"Humanity didn't die from an epidemic, that's the way it is. Epidemics start, accelerate, peak, disappear, and we don't know why.”"

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
Most churches staying closed

While I wouldn’t have just opened churches carte blanche I think this is part of the beauty of allowing stuff to open. Our church is already closed for the next three weeks but that is because we are a pretty big church. I wish she would have used a finer brush to open some of the ones in trouble instead of the broad brush. Maybe churches can open in person for people who can’t access online services and only in the 77 counties.

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
https://www.express.co.uk/news/worl...est-news-second-wave-covid19-lockdown-updates

"Professor Didier Raoult said data on the spread of the virus suggested it had reached a “bell curve” which he claimed was a typical epidemic cycle which should rule out the prospect of a rebound.

Prof Raoult said: "The second wave story is a fantasy that was invented from the Spanish flu, which started in the summer and has nothing to do with it.

"Usually an epidemic happens in one curve. I hate to make predictions, but this way of constructing it is fairly common for epidemics.

“In the past, epidemics disappeared long before we had the means to contain them. They disappeared anyway.

"Humanity didn't die from an epidemic, that's the way it is. Epidemics start, accelerate, peak, disappear, and we don't know why.”"
giphy.gif

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
Not all 350 million eat meat, but millions do. If you and millions of others have to find other ways to get protein all the sudden, then those other food sources likely become short too.
I don't eat meat and get plenty of protein. The produce section always has plenty of excess.

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
You may not know this, but I did not write the article. An epidemiologist did. However, you guys may want to examine just why it is that you reject any news that doesn't project doom.

You may want to think about why you perceive every piece of specious information as the key to all of life...

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
You may not know this, but I did not write the article. An epidemiologist did. However, you guys may want to examine just why it is that you reject any news that doesn't project doom.

it's fascinating how people's response to this virus and news about it sorts out by political inclination. in this case I think it's how predisposed people are to accepting 'conventional wisdom' and how they receive information contrary to that.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
BTW, Professor Raoult is the guy who looks just like the President's doctor in NYC and was previously in the news pushing hydroxychloroquine.

%2Fmethode%2Fsundaytimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2Fbf34e64a-7155-11ea-95ac-727c046e7b5d.jpg

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
www.oldschoolradical.com
it's fascinating how people's response to this virus and news about it sorts out by political inclination. in this case I think it's how predisposed people are to accepting 'conventional wisdom' and how they receive information contrary to that.

Valid point. Anyone who has followed my posts should know that I'm an incurable optimist. I know this as well, so I do try to read widely and dig into the details to gain knowledge (that's my standard response to stress).

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
BTW, Professor Raoult is the guy who looks just like the President's doctor in NYC and was previously in the news pushing hydroxychloroquine.

%2Fmethode%2Fsundaytimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2Fbf34e64a-7155-11ea-95ac-727c046e7b5d.jpg

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA

Yep. I was including myself in that - I am generally very conservative when it comes to accepting information that runs contrary to conventional wisdom and the prevailing facts. I need more than one source saying so.

Reactions: bos

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
www.oldschoolradical.com

Other countries seem to be reporting success with that, but others are saying the risks are too high.

https://www.sermo.com/press-release...atment-patterns-and-puts-pandemic-in-context/

"Hydroxychloroquine was overall chosen as the most effective therapy amongst COVID-19 treaters from a list of 15 options (37% of COVID-19 treaters)
  • 75% in Spain, 53% Italy, 44% in China, 43% in Brazil, 29% in France, 23% in the U.S. and 13% in the U.K."

Raiders70

Nov 18, 2015
people just love their CNN and its pandemic scoreboard.

GrappleCy

Aug 7, 2018
Even if you don't think there's going to be a second wave you probably should realize that outside of NYC the US is still in the first wave. It isn't contained, much less eliminated.

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
Yep. I was including myself in that - I am generally very conservative when it comes to accepting information that runs contrary to conventional wisdom and the prevailing facts. I need more than one source saying so.
The one good thing about those that constantly politicize a pandemic, which I personally find repulsive, is that you can discount everything else that person says. No offense.

Status
Not open for further replies.