Fauci and the near future of sporting contests

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
There’s gonna be so many eyeballs on live events when things start to come back. Advertisers should be happy.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I don't watch a whole lot of sports in summer anyways unless the Twins are on, but I'll definitely tune in to watching two broomsticks wrestle at this point.

Reactions: Wappadu

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Posted some stuff about a saliva test and wonder if that is something that would be included in this plan if it happens.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
There’s gonna be so many eyeballs on live events when things start to come back. Advertisers should be happy.

If we get back to regular attendance at some point, the first time it happens might be one of those 'where were you' moments.

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Ad rates are dropping as we speak. YouTube has a record numbers of views and sinking ad revenue. Creators are reporting 50% loss of revenue for equivalent eyeball counts.

Its almost like the companies that buy up ad space need to be able to sell their goods and make money to do so? No ones going to do well this summer. It is survival mode for all.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
The PGA is starting back up at the beginning of June. I would think that is one of the safest pro sports to start back up.. Honestly, they could probably be playing right now. The entire risk is the travel.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
The PGA is starting back up at the beginning of June. I would think that is one of the safest pro sports to start back up.. Honestly, they could probably be playing right now. The entire risk is the travel.

I agree it will be the first sport to come back but it's still going to depend if the players feel safe. If the players don't feel enough is being done to guarantee their safety, they aren't going to show.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
If we get back to regular attendance at some point, the first time it happens might be one of those 'where were you' moments.
If there is some kind of push back or weird situation delaying the normal start to CFB, the first time its full go at the Jack, that place is gonna be so lit.

Raiders70

Nov 18, 2015
If there is some kind of push back or weird situation delaying the normal start to CFB, the first time its full go at the Jack, that place is gonna be so lit.
Sure hope it is this year. I think there will be a certain element of government that will really resist big venue live sports until the virus is pretty much nonexistent.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
Sure hope it is this year. I think there will be a certain element of government that will really resist big venue live sports until the virus is pretty much nonexistent.

Every medical expert I've seen interviewed has said no events with crowds should be held until a vaccine has been distributed.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Where are the CFers screaming that if it's not safe for 10s of thousands of people to gather, it can't be safe for a couple hundred?
Call me an optimist, but the questions are more about competitive fairness and maximizing profits.

How do they handle a team losing significant personnel due to being sick? Sequestering is doable.

Will football make more in the spring with fans? This would need herd immunity and widespread testing to occur by spring, otherwise I don’t see fans even then, and they might as well start in the fall with no fans.

Raiders70

Nov 18, 2015
Every medical expert I've seen interviewed has said no events with crowds should be held until a vaccine has been distributed.
It usually takes years not months to develop new vaccines so would society really wait years to protect 1% of the population from death or will we accept that reality and go back to mostly normal with masks and hand sanitizers with everything reopened.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Call me an optimist, but the questions are more about competitive fairness and maximizing profits.

How do they handle a team losing significant personnel due to being sick? Sequestering is doable.

Will football make more in the spring with fans? This would need herd immunity and widespread testing to occur by spring, otherwise I don’t see fans even then, and they might as well start in the fall with no fans.

If only there were some kind of protocol for when people are unexpectedly unable to play sports due to medical issues...

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
It usually takes years not months to develop new vaccines so would society really wait years to protect 1% of the population from death or will we accept that reality and go back to mostly normal with masks and hand sanitizers with everything reopened.

Just reporting what medical experts are saying. It's up to people to decide how we live. I won't be venturing into any large crowds until I'm vaccinated.