Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Remember, she also has media/communication people "guiding" her words. I sometimes think I see her wanting to say something and then realizing that, no, if she says that, this other awful thing will happen, and so she says nothing new. I do not envy her, that's for sure.
Well yes I can agree with that, but it doesn't necessarily mean saying the same thing over and over again is the right way to handle this situation. If she's not going to say anything new, why is she putting out a press conference every single day? Is it for those maybe don't have social media so they can't follow along? I'd understand that, but having these press conferences with nothing new to share besides saying she's sorry to report another death and then update us on the cases is getting pretty old.

And I know I know, "stop watching if you don't like it". I understand that, but I like to stay in the loop and informed.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Well yes I can agree with that, but it doesn't necessarily mean saying the same thing over and over again is the right way to handle this situation. If she's not going to say anything new, why is she putting out a press conference every single day? Is it for those maybe don't have social media so they can't follow along? I'd understand that, but having these press conferences with nothing new to share besides saying she's sorry to report another death and then update us on the cases is getting pretty old.

And I know I know, "stop watching if you don't like it". I understand that, but I like to stay in the loop and informed.

I would watch every day if I could (and remembered) so I don't say to not watch. There's some "comfort" in expecting and receiving the same thing on a regular schedule, content aside.

Think about it this way: we're used to seeing her/them every day and hearing the same types of information -- just higher numbers. But all of a sudden, there's no hint of a press conference and at the regular time, there's nothing on line. What do people think? Or do they?
Maybe the governor's been diagnosed or someone else close to the inner circle has. Even though this is not true, some will believe it.
Martial law or true SIP will be announced, but for now they're getting everything in place.
Do you start looking out the window and down the street? Text your coworker or your kids? Call Mediacom to see what's wrong with your service? (just kidding.)

At the risk of sounding redundant, I think we are not at that time yet, to stop holding daily press conferences.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I would watch every day if I could (and remembered) so I don't say to not watch. There's some "comfort" in expecting and receiving the same thing on a regular schedule, content aside.

Think about it this way: we're used to seeing her/them every day and hearing the same types of information -- just higher numbers. But all of a sudden, there's no hint of a press conference and at the regular time, there's nothing on line. What do people think? Or do they?
Maybe the governor's been diagnosed or someone else close to the inner circle has. Even though this is not true, some will believe it.
Martial law or true SIP will be announced, but for now they're getting everything in place.
Do you start looking out the window and down the street? Text your coworker or your kids? Call Mediacom to see what's wrong with your service? (just kidding.)

At the risk of sounding redundant, I think we are not at that time yet, to stop holding daily press conferences.
That all makes sense. I mean I was wondering what was going on when they didn't post the numbers until well after noon today as that was late for them updating.. I could see why abruptly ending these could cause concern. I do think that they could offer a PSA and say these are going to end this week and they will keep updating the public as time goes on and will only be holding press conferences if there anything has changed regarding timelines / orders one way or another.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Her answer about the asymptomatic carriers was awful I thought. "Practice social distancing." So essentially, "do your best to not infect people around you."

Why is this such an awful answer exactly? What else are you supposed to tell someone who may have it but doesn't know it. That's the whole point of social distancing, right? Assume you and everyone else has it and keep distance between you and everyone else.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Why is this such an awful answer exactly? What else are you supposed to tell someone who may have it but doesn't know it. That's the whole point of social distancing, right? Assume you and everyone else has it and keep distance between you and everyone else.
How she handled that question was not good. She completely dodged it at first and stated generally that you should stay at home and self isolate for any sort of symptom. She then diverted to Sarah who also didn't clearly answer the question, but mentioned to make sure you're practicing your social distancing. Another reporter actually chimed in and actually told Reynolds she never specifically answered the question and Reynolds ended up repeating what Sarah said. "Us Iowans need to do the right thing and social distance with one another."

I know she's making these decisions based on what she views is best for Iowa, however I think she's sort of kind of shifting the blame away from herself. At the end of the day, she can always say "welp, Iowans didn't want to listen to me, so this kept spreading".

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
How she handled that question was not good. She completely dodged it at first and stated generally that you should stay at home and self isolate for any sort of symptom. She then diverted to Sarah who also didn't clearly answer the question, but mentioned to make sure you're practicing your social distancing. Another reporter actually chimed in and actually told Reynolds she never specifically answered the question and Reynolds ended up repeating what Sarah said. "Us Iowans need to do the right thing and social distance with one another."

I know she's making these decisions based on what she views is best for Iowa, however I think she's sort of kind of shifting the blame away from herself. At the end of the day, she can always say "welp, Iowans didn't want to listen to me, so this kept spreading".
What percent of the daily cases are Reynolds fault?

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011

Well I can't speak to that as I didn't watch it. Honestly don't see the point. It's kind of a dog and pony show. You can distill all of the pertinent information out of those in about 2 paragraphs. That said even if she fumbled the answer, the only and obvious answer is "We are telling people to social distance. If people do that the asymptomatic people will limit their exposures." But I suppose what some of you wanted to hear her say was "You know what we aren't doing enough about that... SHELTER IN PLACE!"

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
So she would’ve just given in order to keep testing levels at the current rates she would’ve came across as being a genius because the numbers are kind of held steady?
Only if the order included shelter in place. Otherwise, still an idiot.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
On some level I sympathize. There isn't always going to be a lot to say.

Then I stop sympathizing when I hear questions like, "The CDC says up to 25% of coronavirus cases may be asymptomatic, out there spreading this and not realizing it. How does your plan account for those people?" only to be followed with answers like, "If you're sick, stay home."

This goes on every day.
That's been my only real issue. You shouldn't even say "if you have symptoms stay home" because a bunch of morons interpret that as "I'm not sick so I can carry on business as usual."

Simple message. Stay home unless it is something necessary. One person only when going out unless impossible to do so. Work from home if at all possible. Let employees work from home if at all possible. Not if it is convenient or productive, but IF IT IS AT ALL POSSIBLE.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Well I can't speak to that as I didn't watch it. Honestly don't see the point. It's kind of a dog and pony show. You can distill all of the pertinent information out of those in about 2 paragraphs. That said even if she fumbled the answer, the only and obvious answer is "We are telling people to social distance. If people do that the asymptomatic people will limit their exposures." But I suppose what some of you wanted to hear her say was "You know what we aren't doing enough about that... SHELTER IN PLACE!"
I mean it just depends on your definition of "doing enough".. We're 1 of 5 states that doesn't have a mandated order. If she's not going to do it I think she should just muster up the courage and tell everyone she's not going to do it. Dangling it in front of people's faces isn't the best strategy imo. "Well we're not quite there yet". Those statements sound like you're waiting for the worst to happen before making a decision.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
A lot of journalists are wanting to do the Chris Matthews gotcha style. Best to not say anymore than you need to in politics.

That's great advice for people who don't have a coherent plan or lack the capacity to communicate it to the public.

But if you have those things - and one would hope a governor would - then these press conferences ought to be really, really easy. That she relies so heavily on non-answers and weak talking points weeks into this crisis is a red flag.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
That's been my only real issue. You shouldn't even say "if you have symptoms stay home" because a bunch of morons interpret that as "I'm not sick so I can carry on business as usual."

Simple message. Stay home unless it is something necessary. One person only when going out unless impossible to do so. Work from home if at all possible. Let employees work from home if at all possible. Not if it is convenient or productive, but IF IT IS AT ALL POSSIBLE.

I think this is pretty much what has been communicated.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
That's great advice for people who don't have a coherent plan or lack the capacity to communicate it to the public.

But if you have those things - and one would hope a governor would - then these press conferences ought to be really, really easy. That she relies so heavily on non-answers and weak talking points weeks into this crisis is a red flag.
Like when reporters were telling her there were still loads of people not social distancing and provided proof of such, and she said "I cannot lock the state down, Iowans will do the right thing".

I mean I agree you can't lock the state down, however you're putting WAY too much faith into people that honestly don't believe this is a real issue to them. She's treating this like other people who don't understand the seriousness of this, which is viewing mitigation efforts in a polarizing way. No Gov. Reynolds, you don't have to lock the state down like NYC has done or LA, no one is asking you to do that. What people are asking you to do is what a lot of other states have already done, ones that do not include cities like LA or NYC.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I think this is pretty much what has been communicated.
If she were to communicate it that way, I think more employers would listen.. maybe even mine. She goes over her "list" of recommendations and "work from home if possible" is thrown in there. That's it.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Percentage of tests that come back positive in Iowa
497 positive
6,888 negative

7.2%92.8%
Last updated at 11:24 a.m. on March 29.

SOURCE: Iowa Department of Public Health

Can someone explain to me how this comes out to 7.2% positives? I'm getting 6.7.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Percentage of tests that come back positive in Iowa
497 positive
6,888 negative

7.2%92.8%
Last updated at 11:24 a.m. on March 29.

SOURCE: Iowa Department of Public Health

Can someone explain to me how this comes out to 7.2% positives? I'm getting 6.7.
497/6888= .072 but I agree with you that it's wrong. It should be 497/(6888+497)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron