Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Are we going to arrest people who don't stay home if Reynolds gives the order to "shelter in place"? Some governors are threatening jail time. What confuses me is the fact they are letting people out of prisons and jails. WTF????

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
Her worrying about unemployment would be a "reason" wouldn't it? I certainly think that's valid reasoning as to why she doesn't want to do this. I also think that other governors have probably thought about that same effect from all of this and still made the decision.

I wasn't saying for whatever reason because I believe she's just doing this to mess with our heads. She obviously has her reasoning and that's why I said "for whatever reason".
What happens when the alcoholics can't get their medicine? When the riots and looting start, the liquor stores are usually hit hard. Might as well leave them open. Also, that might be why they're still selling guns and ammo. Probably wouldn't hurt to have a little home defense. I mean, with Reynolds making decisions we're headed for Mad Max and Walking Dead type **** am I right? :eek:
one of you will have to switch avatars.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
What happens when the alcoholics can't get their medicine?

This is the real reason the liquor stores are 'essential'. Last thing you want to do when the hospital system is already overburdened is send a bunch of alcoholics into withdrawal and have them end up at the hospital, using resources we don't have enough of already.

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
Bunch of the same today in press conference

albert-einstein.jpg

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
Took the kids to a local hiking spot that usually has no one at it. About 10 minutes down the trail a group of 8 or so teenagers come running down the path panting playing tag. One fat girl stops 2 feet from us and starts to cough like she's out of breath.

I couldn't control myself and shouted "you have got it be ******* kidding me right now. MOVE!"

We went straight to the car and drove home.

Did you get called a Boomer?

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
Her worrying about unemployment would be a "reason" wouldn't it? I certainly think that's valid reasoning as to why she doesn't want to do this. I also think that other governors have probably thought about that same effect from all of this and still made the decision.

I wasn't saying for whatever reason because I believe she's just doing this to mess with our heads. She obviously has her reasoning and that's why I said "for whatever reason".
She is worried about her economic numbers. Plain and simple.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
It's almost humorous at this point honestly lol.

On some level I sympathize. There isn't always going to be a lot to say.

Then I stop sympathizing when I hear questions like, "The CDC says up to 25% of coronavirus cases may be asymptomatic, out there spreading this and not realizing it. How does your plan account for those people?" only to be followed with answers like, "If you're sick, stay home."

This goes on every day.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
A long time ago I (apparently) signed up to receive updates from the Legislative Service Agency. They've been in overdrive the past several days pushing out updates on many, many topics. Here's the email description from one I got today (with the title COVID-19 -- Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation Forecase.)
Document type: Fiscal Update Article
Document title: Education Departments and Agencies — COVID-19 Response: March 31, 2020
Document published location: https://www.legis.iowa.gov/docs/publications/BL/1133652.pdf
Some interesting content here, if you like methods, modeling, data, those sorts of things....

Last edited:

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
On some level I sympathize. There isn't always going to be a lot to say.

Then I stop sympathizing when I hear questions like, "The CDC says up to 25% of coronavirus cases may be asymptomatic, out there spreading this and not realizing it. How does your plan account for those people?" only to be followed with answers like, "If you're sick, stay home."

This goes on every day.
Yeah I honestly understand her stance in all of this. She's thinking about the economy and the negative effects of possibly enforcing more drastic measures. I get that. But holy cow, do a better job of answering the direct questions. Her answer about the asymptomatic carriers was awful I thought. "Practice social distancing." So essentially, "do your best to not infect people around you."

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Yeah I honestly understand her stance in all of this. She's thinking about the economy and the negative effects of possibly enforcing more drastic measures. I get that. But holy cow, do a better job of answering the direct questions. Her answer about the asymptomatic carriers was awful I thought. "Practice social distancing." So essentially, "do your best to not infect people around you."
Remember, she also has media/communication people "guiding" her words. I sometimes think I see her wanting to say something and then realizing that, no, if she says that, this other awful thing will happen, and so she says nothing new. I do not envy her, that's for sure.

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
Have we reached a point where daily press briefings aren't necessary, unless there are drastic changes/updates?

Keep sending out the numbers report, but maybe start having these 2 or 3 times a week.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Have we reached a point where daily press briefings aren't necessary, unless there are drastic changes/updates?

Keep sending out the numbers report, but maybe start having these 2 or 3 times a week.

Then people will say she’s not considering it important. Too many people wanting to make this political. She can just keep them rolling so if something happens every press will be there.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Remember, she also has media/communication people "guiding" her words. I sometimes think I see her wanting to say something and then realizing that, no, if she says that, this other awful thing will happen, and so she says nothing new. I do not envy her, that's for sure.

A lot of journalists are wanting to do the Chris Matthews gotcha style. Best to not say anymore than you need to in politics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Help Support Us

Become a patron