Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Percentage of tests that come back positive in Iowa
497 positive
6,888 negative

7.2%92.8%
Last updated at 11:24 a.m. on March 29.

SOURCE: Iowa Department of Public Health

Can someone explain to me how this comes out to 7.2% positives? I'm getting 6.7.

They are just dividing positive by negative and not adding the total tests together.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Yeah I honestly understand her stance in all of this. She's thinking about the economy and the negative effects of possibly enforcing more drastic measures. I get that. But holy cow, do a better job of answering the direct questions. Her answer about the asymptomatic carriers was awful I thought. "Practice social distancing." So essentially, "do your best to not infect people around you."

BS, she is thinking about the concerns of her large donors, and they want to stay open, shutting down hurts their business. We are just the guinea pigs here.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
They are just dividing positive by negative and not adding the total tests together.
Never mind. I was concerned it was the Iowa Dept of Public Health that was mathing wrong. Which was concerning. Turns out it’s the Register. Lol. Figures.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
Percentage of tests that come back positive in Iowa
497 positive
6,888 negative

7.2%92.8%
Last updated at 11:24 a.m. on March 29.

SOURCE: Iowa Department of Public Health

Can someone explain to me how this comes out to 7.2% positives? I'm getting 6.7.
Looks like you forgot to carry the 1.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
BS, she is thinking about the concerns of her large donors, and they want to stay open, shutting down hurts their business. We are just the guinea pigs here.
Well that kind of reverts back to her thinking of the economy. Shutting down more businesses means some of her supports / donors are shut down as well.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Yeah but if I have 5 dimes and 10 quarters that doesn’t mean 50% of my coins are dimes.

source.gif

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Reynolds still proves over and over again that she flat out doesn't understand the issue.

She keeps saying "if you feel sick, stay home". That is not a good thing to say. EVERYONE needs to stay home, not just those that feel sick.

It was the same thing before she finally shut the schools down. She wouldn't shut a school down until they had a positive case.... and she didn't understand that it's way too late if you wait until there's a positive case.

She doesn't understand the issue.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Buddy if I was that poor I'd be worried about things other than getting the denominator correct.
It’s all good. I currently have 5 ATM cards. None of them are in my name, but I have them.

mkadl

Mar 17, 2006
Cornfield
We are sending employees home, on administrative leave if we hear a rumor they were even close to anything that seems COVID-19 related. Full pay sit at home 14 days. Small town rumors fly fast.

Reactions: Statefan10

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Reynolds still proves over and over again that she flat out doesn't understand the issue.

She keeps saying "if you feel sick, stay home". That is not a good thing to say. EVERYONE needs to stay home, not just those that feel sick.

It was the same thing before she finally shut the schools down. She wouldn't shut a school down until they had a positive case.... and she didn't understand that it's way too late if you wait until there's a positive case.

Wow.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

“If you feel sick, stay home” was like 3 weeks ago in Ohio.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

This. I don't have a huge problem in what she's done so far, but she is not following the science of it and that makes me mad. For days she trotted out there and said that if you even feel slightly sick, you should stay home. But, like you said, all the experts seem to think that you can have no symptoms and still pass things on.

Reactions: Statefan10

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I don't think Reynolds has done a great job, but don't think she's done a terrible job.

My question to those who are adamant that she has done a poor job, give me three states that you believe we should model our approach off of.

Also, give me three other states that are doing a terrible job in your opinion.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I think this is pretty much what has been communicated.
Not consistently and not that definitively. Not sure how many times an answer consisted solely of "if you are sick stay home, wash your hands, practice good hygiene."

For the record I am OK with the reasoning for not implementing SiP to this point. I just hate having her recommendations to address the virus to be "if you're sick stay home."

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
This. I don't have a huge problem in what she's done so far, but she is not following the science of it and that makes me mad. For days she trotted out there and said that if you even feel slightly sick, you should stay home. But, like you said, all the experts seem to think that you can have no symptoms and still pass things on.
To make your point even stronger, you should list all the hospitals that are overrun and the number of deaths it has resulted in.

Status
Not open for further replies.