Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkadl

Mar 17, 2006
Cornfield
Many courthouses are slowing foot traffic. Some not excepting property tax payments in person. Drivers licenses for in county residents only. People have been driving over an hour one way to get a drivers license because other stations closed first. I believe the declaration yesterday granted extension of registrations tags and drivers licenses. Our courthouse is open by appointment only. I was told many elderly couple come in as a pair to pay their property taxes while every cross section of humanity is in line to get drivers licenses.

• Informative
Reactions: khardbored

Tri4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2012
Des Moines
Hasn't it been said that we're even behind what Italy did?

An early response would have been in January. Not for implementation, but at least acknowledgement, taking it seriously, foreshadowing, and putting together a plan. Outside of a ban on China travel those things didn't happen until about Friday.

This may have been addressed by another poster but "ahead" is maybe a relative term. I agreed, I wish we were "ahead" of addressing this by months but based on timelines I think we are like 4-5 days ahead of Italy from a response standpoint. When you see exponential growth rates, that 4-5 days can be critical. Obviously if we could go back further in time that exponential rate would have an even bigger impact but ANY actions we can took sooner rather than later should have a positive impact. Based on those other countries timelines, we'll likely see some scary numbers here over the next week/weekend. I just hope the action we take now will help us slow that exponential growth rate others have seen and we have seen up to this point.

• Informative
Reactions: madguy30

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Those geese that just stand there on the path and hiss are going to be sorry about their lifestyle habits.

Yep most of those geese all you would need is a baseball bat to take them out and have supper.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
So is anyone else a little leery of even getting takeout right now? What are the chances the virus could be passed through food if someone in the kitchen is a carrier?

I'm confident that I know enough about the places I'm ordering takeout from to know they wont be irresponsible. They are local people I know who I'm sure are being sanitary and cautious. I am a little bit leery of order from places I'm less familiar with.

As someone else mentioned, at the end of the day you can only be so cautious. If you were to obtain the virus from eating takeout at home there's a certain inevitability it. But the key is to avoid the spread.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Just saw this on Reddit

"I work 2nd shift at a local manufacturing plant. I suppose I could burn all of my PTO... but there’s been no talk of temporary shut down. In fact, just today, our safety coordinator had 24 of us in a 20’ x 20’ classroom for a fire safety presentation. When reminded of the CDC’s recommendation that no more than 10 gather, he chose to debate the word “social” and say that the CDC has only “recommended” that you avoid “social” gatherings of 10 or more. This being work, of course, makes it non-social."

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Just saw this on Reddit

"I work 2nd shift at a local manufacturing plant. I suppose I could burn all of my PTO... but there’s been no talk of temporary shut down. In fact, just today, our safety coordinator had 24 of us in a 20’ x 20’ classroom for a fire safety presentation. When reminded of the CDC’s recommendation that no more than 10 gather, he chose to debate the word “social” and say that the CDC has only “recommended” that you avoid “social” gatherings of 10 or more. This being work, of course, makes it non-social."

Just another reminder that we're not going to figure this out, or learn anything from it.

People just want to get back to ignoring the problems of the world and lifestyles based on things they don't need.

• Winner
  • Agree
Reactions: Doc and Statefan10

dosry5

Nov 28, 2006
Johnston
Just saw this on Reddit

Bureaucrats crush the soul of the world

• Agree
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Just saw this on Reddit

A fire safety presentation in the midst of a pandemic is the human form of this popular meme:

this-is-fine.0.jpg

Attachments

• upload_2020-3-18_9-14-0.jpeg
    upload_2020-3-18_9-14-0.jpeg
    11.5 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: wxman1

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
Just saw this on Reddit

This doesn't surprise me in the least. The manufacturing world is...different.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Just another reminder that we're not going to figure this out, or learn anything from it.

People just want to get back to ignoring the problems of the world and lifestyles based on things they don't need.
I've talked to a few of my friends my age (24), who have basically ignored all of the recommendations and they truly do not care. Some of them have been on spring break or are on trips and are actively choosing to not follow the guidelines. They fail to realize that when they do end up coming back, they're going to be putting so many people at risk because of this week.

The place I work at is sort of the same way. We haven't even had a meeting about anything and when I've brought up the possibility of working remotely, that's shut down because they say it's impossible for us to do that, which it really wouldn't be. The higher ups here are all older and are not buying into any of this.

• Informative
Reactions: MeanDean

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
This may have been addressed by another poster but "ahead" is maybe a relative term. I agreed, I wish we were "ahead" of addressing this by months but based on timelines I think we are like 4-5 days ahead of Italy from a response standpoint. When you see exponential growth rates, that 4-5 days can be critical. Obviously if we could go back further in time that exponential rate would have an even bigger impact but ANY actions we can took sooner rather than later should have a positive impact. Based on those other countries timelines, we'll likely see some scary numbers here over the next week/weekend. I just hope the action we take now will help us slow that exponential growth rate others have seen and we have seen up to this point.

But at the same time our measures aren’t as draconian as Italy, so those 4-5 days probably don’t matter.

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
We need to have a real discussion in this country on what truly makes something essential. There are WAY too many business owners and management folks that think they're a hell of a lot more important than they are.

Medical, first responders, food/groceries, trade work? Thats kinda where my list starts, obviously pretty broad, but its a place to start. Trade work could be minimized as well. Just need them for emergencies.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
We need to have a real discussion in this country on what truly makes something essential. There are WAY too many business owners and management folks that think they're a hell of a lot more important than they are.

It's such a hard thing to define. Our law practice does a lot of estate planning work. We've had several clients call wanting to either establish or make changes to their estate planning documents. For me, that does feel "essential", especially with some of our elderly clients who are worried about getting sick. But there are definitely moments where I think "what are we doing here?" when seemingly everything else is closed.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Medical, first responders, food/groceries, trade work? Thats kinda where my list starts, obviously pretty broad, but its a place to start. Trade work could be minimized as well. Just need them for emergencies.

Water/utilities.

A plan to have armed services medical teams would have been good too.

• Winner
Reactions: MeanDean

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006

In a lot of cases it's very important to them. There will be a lot of small businesses that don't reopen after this. There will also be a lot of larger businesses that end up smaller after this. I don't blame business owners worried about what it'll do to them if they shut down for a month.

The government financial support would help in a time like this, but that should have come along side the mandates to close.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Help Support Us

Become a patron