Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FOREVERTRUE

Sep 18, 2017
Medical, first responders, food/groceries, trade work? Thats kinda where my list starts, obviously pretty broad, but its a place to start. Trade work could be minimized as well. Just need them for emergencies.

Yes, but the problem is it snowballs. I work at a plant that makes processed food, essential right. Now if we have a shortage on packaging materials (boxes or plastic film) or shortage on parts for our equipment, or even gloves, hair nets and beard nets, we can't run effectively.

So now you just made all the suppliers of these things essential to keep the primary essential industry going. It gets to be a complex spider web of what is needed.

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
Yes, but the problem is it snowballs. I work at a plant that makes processed food, essential right. Now if we have a shortage on packaging materials (boxes or plastic film) or shortage on parts for our equipment, or even gloves, hair nets and beard nets, we can't run effectively.

So now you just made all the suppliers of these things essential to keep the primary essential industry going. It gets to be a complex spider web of what is needed.

Yep, you are right. Not as easy as just shutting everything down. So many industries tie in with other industries.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
We need to have a real discussion in this country on what truly makes something essential. There are WAY too many business owners and management folks that think they're a hell of a lot more important than they are.
The state of Nevada is mandating non-essential businesses to close for the next 30 days. Businesses that sell food, gas, social services, hardware stores, as well as hospitals, fire stations and police stations shall stay open.

ruflosn

Dec 21, 2008
The state of Nevada is mandating non-essential businesses to close for the next 30 days. Businesses that sell food, gas, social services, hardware stores, as well as hospitals, fire stations and police stations shall stay open.
Dang, 30 days.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Dang, 30 days.
Yep. California is shutting down county by county right now. New York is going to end up being the same way and I believe will "shelter in place" by the end of the day. That will cause a domino effect of other east coast states to do the same. Once other states do the same in the east, the midwest will start to do the same. I'd just keep my eyes on the surrounding states and see what they do. We won't be too far behind from them.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site

How does this apply to manufacturing and the like?

I see this as closing stores - clothing stores, car/motorcycle/bicycle sales, sporting goods stores, gift shops, stuff like that. The types of stores you see in malls and strip malls. That makes sense.

I don't see how you can stop manufacturing, close down mechanics, utilities, plumbers, etc without SEVERE consequences that will absolutely outweigh the virus.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
We need to have a real discussion in this country on what truly makes something essential. There are WAY too many business owners and management folks that think they're a hell of a lot more important than they are.

Maybe we should just close and lay everyone off? Is that your proposed solution? Or should we close but keep paying everyone - until we run out of money, and THEN fire everyone - permanently.

I'll bet you $1 that the employees think their place of employment is just as essential as the business owners do.

My partners and I have spent the better part of the last week trying to make sure we can keep everyone employed, make payroll, and find workarounds for those with kids at home. And I would estimate 90% of small biz owners are doing same.

So please understand that I take your comment, implying small business owners are greedy and self-important, as extremely insulting.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Maybe we should just close and lay everyone off? Is that your proposed solution? Or should we close but keep paying everyone - until we run out of money, and THEN fire everyone - permanently.

I'll bet you $1 that the employees think their place of employment is just as essential as the business owners do.

My partners and I have spent the better part of the last week trying to make sure we can keep everyone employed, make payroll, and find workarounds for those with kids at home. And I would estimate 90% of small biz owners are doing same.

So please understand that I take your comment, implying small business owners are greedy and self-important, as extremely insulting.

You took me the wrong way.

Nobody is greedy. Not insinuating that at all, we've just got to prepare ourselves for the fact that this thing could get a lot worse before it gets better and we're probably going to have to make some real difficult choices. I'm just saying if your local insurance agency or financial planner or small factory is forced to close for a period of a few days or a couple weeks, that we're going to get through it.

Those things are important (I know, I'm an insurance agent) BUT we're not firefighters, med personnel, etc. There are very few things that could happen in those few days that can't be addressed when we get back into operation.

Reactions: CascadeClone

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
You took me the wrong way.

Nobody is greedy. Not insinuating that at all, we've just got to prepare ourselves for the fact that this thing could get a lot worse before it gets better and we're probably going to have to make some real difficult choices. I'm just saying if your local insurance agency or financial planner or small factory is forced to close for a period of a few days or a couple weeks, that we're going to get through it.

Those things are important (I know, I'm an insurance agent) BUT we're not firefighters, med personnel, etc. There are very few things that could happen in those few days that can't be addressed when we get back into operation.

Lost me here.

That's simply not true.

I don't consider small business owners in that realm though.

Reactions: 1UNI2ISU

spierceisu

Jan 28, 2007
Ankeny
Has anyone heard updates on the likelyhood of daycare's closing? I hope they don't, but it seems weird that schools are closed "not officially mandated by the state, but unofficially mandated" and daycares are not.

mdk2isu

Jan 30, 2013
Not of this World

So the brothels are ok to stay open? They provide a 'social service' right? Asking for a friend.

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY

CYCLONE STATE

Dec 8, 2007
Clive
Our company president sent an email to everyone yesterday. It said our company is committed to taking care of its employees and if anyone needs time off we are welcome to use our pto or vacation days.

locally owned very profitable company.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
Has anyone heard updates on the likelyhood of daycare's closing? I hope they don't, but it seems weird that schools are closed "not officially mandated by the state, but unofficially mandated" and daycares are not.

our daycare is closed. really throwing a wrench in life, right now

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
So the brothels are ok to stay open? They provide a 'social service' right? Asking for a friend.
Well some states have actually stopped arresting for non-violent crimes, ie: prostitution. Sooo use that info as you'd like.

• Funny
Reactions: HARMCYN

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
The state of New York is mandating non-essential businesses can have no more than 50% of employees work at their office. He's doing so by executive order.

Status
Not open for further replies.