Are you still planning on traveling for Spring break?

Are you still traveling for Spring break?

• Yes

Votes: 60 37.0%
  • No

Votes: 102 63.0%

• Total voters

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
My wife and I just returned from a vacation to South America.

My oh my, this thing has escalated while we were gone. The first cases in Ecuador were showing up there just as we were leaving the country.

My wife is a doctor, so she expects to be on the front lines of this thing if it gets as bad as it could. I was planning a trip to New England for a wedding and a few trips to Chicago for work in the next few months, but those might be gone.

Tell your wife she deserves an upgrade from that god awful Hyundai Elantra you make her drive.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Not a spring break, but just got back from a week in the Keys. Noticed a lot more people at the airport washing their hands in the bathroom and people wearing masks (even though they don't do much).

I was pickled when I got on the plane at Key West a few weeks ago. I was good. That airport gets crammed though. I came back from the Virginia last week and only saw one person with a mask on.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
We have reservations at Honey Creek for mid next week. We have until Sunday to cancel so we are debating what to do.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Cancelled plans to go to Chicago with my parents and daughter. More for my parents than me or my daughter.

This is kind of where we are at. My wife's grandma 75 or so watches our kids one day a week and we like to be around them so we are probably going to cancel our little getaway.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
We were thinking of doing a weekend in KC to go to the zoo, etc, but at this point not sure if places like that will be open. We're wait & see.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
My daughter is in the high school band here. They had a trip planned to Los Angeles/San Diego for spring break. Band was going to play at Disneyland in parades, on the deck of the USS Midway and have some workshop classes at UCLA. They were supposed to leave on the 22nd, but we just got the email at 4am that it has been cancelled.

Makes sense in light of everything that is going on, but really sucks. They worked really hard to raise a lot of money for the trip. The rest of the family was going to go out as well, but we won't be going now. Mainly because the band isn't going, but I'd be lying if I said I was excited to travel right now.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
We canceled our trip to the Dells. Just too many people in a confined area.

As an aside, I didn't realize I was on speaker phone yesterday with my wife and I asked her "have you told the kids we aren't going on vacation yet?" As it turns out I was on speaker with my daughter within earshot and just heard a "Whhhhhhhaaaat?"

Hung up quick and let the wife sort that situation out.

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
Cancelled trip with kids to Chicago for many obvious reasons. My main concern is I have a very close friend with a child that this could go really bad. With everything in Chicago cancelled it made for an easy decision. We are instead going to have a lazy Long weekend at our cabin instead, a quarantined vacation, ha!

Girlfriend and her kids still headed to Florida. Told her if I hear of any cases where she is I have no intention of seeing her for a month when she gets back. That didn’t go over too well.

STATE12

Jul 8, 2015
We canceled our trip to the Dells. Just too many people in a confined area.

As an aside, I didn't realize I was on speaker phone yesterday with my wife and I asked her "have you told the kids we aren't going on vacation yet?" As it turns out I was on speaker with my daughter within earshot and just heard a "Whhhhhhhaaaat?"

Hung up quick and let the wife sort that situation out.

That's on her for not making sure you knew! ALWAYS let people know when they're on speakerphone.

But this whole thing has to be a weird concept for kids (let alone us adults) to try to wrap their heads around. All they hear is, "vacation is canceled".

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
It really doesn't have anything to do with "living scared". It is about preventing unnecessary spread of a virus that can be lethal and is lethal to our most vulnerable.

Yeah, people thinking they're going to show that virus who's boss and they won't be told what to do just aren't thinking about the big picture. This isn't about YOU, it's about ALL OF US.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
That's on her for not making sure you knew! ALWAYS let people know when they're on speakerphone.

But this whole thing has to be a weird concept for kids (let alone us adults) to try to wrap their heads around. All they hear is, "vacation is canceled".

It was an interesting conversation. My oldest is 9 so she has a sense of what's going on. Trying to tell her we aren't going because of this virus while not alarming her was a bit of a tight rope to walk.

• Friendly
Reactions: BoxsterCy

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Cancelled trip with kids to Chicago for many obvious reasons. My main concern is I have a very close friend with a child that this could go really bad. With everything in Chicago cancelled it made for an easy decision. We are instead going to have a lazy Long weekend at our cabin instead, a quarantined vacation, ha!

Girlfriend and her kids still headed to Florida. Told her if I hear of any cases where she is I have no intention of seeing her for a month when she gets back. That didn’t go over too well.

Hall Pass?

• Funny
Reactions: jcyclonee

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
My wife was going up to Minneapolis with our kids along with her sister and some nieces/nephews. They aren't going now.

My wife has heart and asthma issues so she is one of those to worry about. She's pretty angry how her coworkers are handling this. Basically they all say they don't care/aren't worried. (College educated!) Most of them will travel over spring break. These are the people that bring stuff back. They'll get sick and recover but will infect folks that can't fight the infection as well. My wife is 44 so she's not old.

Cancellations of gatherings, suspended NBA season etc are because people are too stupid to self quarantine etc. They infect many others without regard. Check out the family in St. Louis. They were told to quarantine and didn't. They've now needlessly put, at a minimum, dozens more at risk. This doesn't count the number of people those dozens put at risk etc...

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan and Jer

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
cancelled trip to FL for end of the month. too many family members >70 yrs old - not worth the risk. flight credits expire in December so will just take the trip later this year - i hope.

Help Support Us

Become a patron