COLUMN: An analysis on the future of Iowa State basketball

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
It's a little early to know for sure what Jackson and Grill are or aren't. About the only thing you can say for sure is that they weren't ready for the minutes they're getting now. They're true freshmen making a huge jump up in competition, and it shows.

Legit players can play as freshman and not look lost and scared. Should be able to find better players. They need to. Can't really afford to wait until Grill and Jackson are Jr/Sr's.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Untimely it doesn’t matter but we’d win that stupid Florida A&M game 99 times out of 100 even without tyrese. Normally we don’t play as many power 5 teams in non conference. So assume 2 more non conference wins. Then take the TCU and Texas games with some luck we’d win those. (And I agree you earn luck but the OSU wins in the Kane season were pure luck and you can’t argue otherwise. Sometimes it really is just dumb luck.). So that would put us at 15 wins. Not good but not as terrible as it is now. And now we face a winnable second half of conference without our best player.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Legit players can play as freshman and not look lost and scared. Should be able to find better players. They need to. Can't really afford to wait until Grill and Jackson are Jr/Sr's.

The program needs the blue chippers who can play and play well right away, and it also needs developmental guys who might not light it up immediately but will get better and be around for 3-4 years to provide some continuity, identity, and leadership. I think 3/4 of the way through their freshman year is too early to give up on either of them. We've seen more than one player come through and look like a lost cause their first season over the years.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan and Doc

helechopper

Loyal Son Forever True
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2006
Chicago
JFC, that was one of the most bleak stories I’ve read on CF. But all true.

My basketball fingers are crossed for this coach and team.

Go State.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017

did you think Matt Thomas was a bust after his sophomore year? He played less and less as his freshman year went on, and was an 8th man his sophomore year.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
The program needs the blue chippers who can play and play well right away, and it also needs developmental guys who might not light it up immediately but will get better and be around for 3-4 years to provide some continuity, identity, and leadership. I think 3/4 of the way through their freshman year is too early to give up on either of them. We've seen more than one player come through and look like a lost cause their first season over the years.

Who? Don't say Naz or Matt Thomas. You could see the potential right away with those two, and they were still way better as freshman than the underclassmen ISU has now.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
What I don't want to see is the fence-sitting. If it is OK for ISU to make a change after next year, then it might as well be done now. Or, if ISU believes in Steve Prohm as the head coach of this program, then go ahead and extend him again after this season.

Having Steve Prohm exist in a state of coaching purgatory next year does nothing to advance ISU basketball...

What you are saying would be putting us right back into the spot we were with Rhoads and his buy out. Allowing Prohm one more season, buys Pollard and the univeristy time.
If the program is turning around next year and we are in the fight for the NCAA's you offer him a short extension, if we are in this same situation 12 months from now you can him.

Whether ISU/Pollard believe in Prohm and is worth the money really does not matter, its a success driven business and without winning, we cannot afford to keep Prohm around. At the end of the season, Pollard needs to sit Prohm down and tell him that, we see improvement or we will be shopping for a new coach.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
did you think Matt Thomas was a bust after his sophomore year? He played less and less as his freshman year went on, and was an 8th man his sophomore year.

Matt Thomas was a hell of a lot more talented than anybody on ISU's roster right now. ISU also had BDJ. No, I didn't think he was a bust. The guys we have now are more like Sheron Dorsey Walker. Except a lot smaller. And not as athletic.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Give me all the dumbs and dislikes, but I think we’ve started to find a bit of an identity offensively since Tyrese was injured. Solo and Jake are starting to work together better on offense. Jacobson wasn’t great at the four when we were driving and kicking, but now when we’re throwing it into Solo and Jacobson gets to cut and crash the boards he just looks so much better. Nixon also looks more confident when we’re playing out of the post rather than playing the drive and kick game Tyrese was so good at.

I've said this prior and it's not like Hali didn't need to be the guy but It's made me think that perhaps Nixon was better at the point and maybe running Hali off the 3 to still drive and kick.

Reactions: Doc

volclone

Apr 11, 2006
I haven't seen it mentioned here or in CW's column (if I missed it, my apologies)--with the new NCAA Transfer rule likely in place by this summer, our roster will look nothing like it does today. I foresee a 50-60% turnover....that can be a good thing or a bad thing. Depends on talent evaluation of potential incoming transfers. I agree with CW--this roster needs to get older....and some current players need to be encouraged to look for opportunities elsewhere.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Good article CW, but I was hoping in an "analysis of the future of ISU basketball" that there might be some analysis of the players we have coming in. Or what we still need to add, etc.

• Agree
Reactions: Rogue52

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013
Never as good or as bad as it seems. A case could be made that both Wigginton and THT should have returned to school. Prohm exhausted every resource possible to turn Lard around. Where is the team right now with a rotation of Haliburton, Wigginton, THT, Lard, Young, Conditt, Jacobson, Nixon? Prohm has arguably the best recruiting class ever on its way to campus. Give him a chance to turn it around for crying out loud.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
He was also a 4 star, top 55 recruit with an impeccable work ethic who was tutored by a former NBA sharp shooter as a head coach. Apples to oranges..

Lol no. He couldn’t see the floor even after bdj imploded.

why was that?

CyState85

May 8, 2019
Iowa State’s bread and butter the last 7-8 years has been floor spacing and 3pt shooting from virtually any player. Our roster right now does not have anybody that can hit the shot consistently and we are on pace for fewest makes since McDermott’s first year. Without Halliburton, we are shooting 28.8% from 3—yikes.

I’m not saying we need to hoist 3’s but having that spacing and forcing teams to guard the 3 pt line makes a world of difference plus we are never out of a game when you can hit 3’s.

Also, I love Nixon’s defense and willingness to take charges, but he is the worst offensive player we have and that I can remember in recent history—-we will be better next year offensively without him.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron